    (today) and I just want to be able to use it to its full potential.
    Thoughts? Thanks all!
    -Jon

    Jon, May 29, 2007

  2. Both operating systems can use all the capabilities of your dual core
    processor. The driver situation is a bit iffy still for all 64-bit OSs, but
    do your homework and you should be OK. The choice between Vista and XP is,
    frankly, a choice between where you want to be right now. Vista is new.
    Vista is pretty. And Vista has some very important security improvements.
    But XP is a known quantity and the transition to Vista is not without some
    learning curve pain. It took me a while, but I'm now more comfortable with
    Vista than with XP. OTOH, we have employees who wanted to move, had the
    hardware to support Vista, but ended up having a very hard transition.
    Others had no major pain.

    Applications must be written to take full advantage of a 64-bit OS. But if
    they are, they should work equally well in either. For an overview of the
    decision factors between 32-bit and 64-bit, try this whitepaper:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    It's about XP x64, but is pretty much applicable to Vista 64bit as well.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2007