64 bit drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. **help!!**

    im new here, so please excuse my unfamiliarity with protocols.....

    I've been using Kensington's Expert Mouse Pro for quite a few years now. I
    find it highly ergonomic, very powerful, user friendly - 4 programmable click
    buttons, 2 chords, separate scroll wheel, variable cursor move rate, 6
    separate function buttons, USB2.0 connection.

    XPx64 does not recognize it. I have downloaded the latest drivers. Direct
    communication with Kensington "**customer support**" got me a thourough
    blow-off: Manager said they have no 64-bit driver, no plans for one, period,
    end of communication.

    I've got 2 of the flamin' things - one at home, another at work (I used to
    do contract engineering). My (recently acquired) employer just upgraded my
    workstation to XP x64, 2Gb RAM, 2-Core Processor, hot graphics card (I do a
    lot of Solid Modeling), and suddenly my beloved trackball won't work.

    I've looked all over and can't find anything really comparable that clearly
    runs on x64. For that matter, nothing really comparable that runs on
    **anything**.....

    I know how much CS thechies love playing with their toys, and I'm hopin' and
    prayin' somebody a lot smarter than me has figured out a way to get this
    32-bit driver to work properly on a 64-bit OS.

    Apologies for verbosity...I'm actually getting muscle cramps from the
    3-button no-wheel mouse...simple typing is actually a relief...haaalp!

    =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=, Jun 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    Rick Guest

    There is no way to get a 32-bit driver to work
    on a 64-bit OS. This has been posted on
    Microsoft's web site for at least 2 years now.
    The driver has to be written, formatted, and
    compiled for 64-bit.

    And the Vendor is the one who will write the
    64-bit driver. So, you need to contact
    Kensington about your problem.

    Rick, Jun 15, 2006

  3. Thanks for nothing, Rick. If you would take the time to actually *read* the
    *entirety* of my posting, you would see that I had already contacted
    Kensington, with negative results. Hence my posting here.

    I have searched the web, but I am an ME, not CE, and I suspect there are
    resources and techniques I know nothing about.

    I do hereby (politely, I hope) request any and all *positive* suggestions
    for a way to resolve my dilemma: I have been unable to locate an x64
    compatible pointing device of similar capabilities to my Kensington model
    64213. Whether that be a driver overlay, a 3rd party source, or an entirely
    different device is not important -- but I really don't need more
    self-righteous negativity, thanks very much.

    =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=, Jun 15, 2006
  4. Have you checked on http://www.planetamd64.com/ for possible drivers?

    Larry

    Lawrence E. Oliver, Jun 15, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    :
    : "Rick" wrote:
    :
    : > There is no way to get a 32-bit driver to work
    : > on a 64-bit OS. This has been posted on
    : > Microsoft's web site for at least 2 years now.
    : > The driver has to be written, formatted, and
    : > compiled for 64-bit.
    : >
    : > And the Vendor is the one who will write the
    : > 64-bit driver. So, you need to contact
    : > Kensington about your problem.
    : >
    : >
    : > azutjw wrote:
    : > > **help!!**
    : > >
[...]

    Or you could convince a "driver developer" to write a device driver
    for you, provided you can get the appropriate information from
    Kensington (as it may be consider confidential and priorietary
    information) and how much beer, liquor or money the developer wants
    to do the work, or you could learn to be a driver developer
    yourself.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your friend!
    http://www.google.com

    Admiral Q, Jun 15, 2006
  6. Unfortunately, Rick was giving you accurate information. That being said,
    your choices are pretty limited, and all involve the tacit support of
    Kensington. Here are your options:
    1.) Convince them to produce a driver. This looks pretty unlikely, to say
    the least.
    2.) Convince them to provide you, under some sort of NDA, the information
    necessary to write a driver yourself. (good luck, but it never hurts to
    ask.)
    3.) Reverse engineer their existing driver, and recompile it for 64bit.
    (Note, this legally questionable, but IANAL - consult your own.)
    4.) If they or someone else has written a driver for Linux, and the source
    is available, you may be able to work from that.

    Also note that if you're not a driver engineer yourself, you'd need to
    commission someone under options 2-4.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 15, 2006
  7. * azutjw:

    > I've been using Kensington's Expert Mouse Pro for quite a few years now. I
    > find it highly ergonomic, very powerful, user friendly - 4 programmable click
    > buttons, 2 chords, separate scroll wheel, variable cursor move rate, 6
    > separate function buttons, USB2.0 connection.
    >
    > XPx64 does not recognize it. I have downloaded the latest drivers. Direct
    > communication with Kensington "**customer support**" got me a thourough
    > blow-off: Manager said they have no 64-bit driver, no plans for one, period,
    > end of communication.

    That seems sadly to be the common answer from most hardware vendors
    regarding Winxp x64...

    > I've got 2 of the flamin' things - one at home, another at work (I used to
    > do contract engineering). My (recently acquired) employer just upgraded my
    > workstation to XP x64, 2Gb RAM, 2-Core Processor, hot graphics card (I do a
    > lot of Solid Modeling), and suddenly my beloved trackball won't work.
    >
    > I've looked all over and can't find anything really comparable that clearly
    > runs on x64. For that matter, nothing really comparable that runs on
    > **anything**.....

    The question is why you want to run the x64 edition of Windowsxp on
    systems with only 2GB of memory? Especially since hardware that is
    important for you doesn't work.

    If I were you I'd stay with 32bit Windows. For your tasks it does
    everything at least as good (if not better) than Winxp x64.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 16, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    DP Guest

    Benjamin:
    With all due respect, I think you and Rick missed the point.
    I could be wrong, but the way I understood the OP was that his employer
    loaded x64 on his machine without any consideration for the particular needs
    of the OP. It wasn't the OP's conscious choice; it was a "decision" foisted
    upon him.
    So whether or not there had been warnings on the MS site for two years is
    irrelevant to the OP's case. His boss made a decision that the OP is trying
    to live with. He's asking our help to try to do that.

    DP, Jun 16, 2006
  9. * DP:

    > Benjamin:
    > With all due respect, I think you and Rick missed the point.
    > I could be wrong, but the way I understood the OP was that his employer
    > loaded x64 on his machine without any consideration for the particular needs
    > of the OP. It wasn't the OP's conscious choice; it was a "decision" foisted
    > upon him.
    > So whether or not there had been warnings on the MS site for two years is
    > irrelevant to the OP's case. His boss made a decision that the OP is trying
    > to live with. He's asking our help to try to do that.

    And what do you expect us to do? To write a driver for him? If there is
    no driver in Windows and if the hardware manufacturer also clearly says
    "NO" to a x64 driver then the case is clear. This lives the choice between

    a) replace the pointing device with another one that has x64 drivers
    b) go back to 32bit Windows
    c) write the device driver by yourself

    Since going to x64 on this hardware for his task makes no real sense I
    suggested b). If it's the OPs won problem or his employees is something
    I don't care, he asked and not his boss so he gets the answer. If it's
    really the problem of his boss and not his he should tell his boss what
    he found out here.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 17, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    DP Guest

    >* DP:
    >

    > And what do you expect us to do? To write a driver for him? If there is no
    > driver in Windows and if the hardware manufacturer also clearly says "NO"
    > to a x64 driver then the case is clear. This lives the choice between
    >
    > a) replace the pointing device with another one that has x64 drivers
    > b) go back to 32bit Windows
    > c) write the device driver by yourself
    >
    > Since going to x64 on this hardware for his task makes no real sense I
    > suggested b). If it's the OPs won problem or his employees is something I
    > don't care, he asked and not his boss so he gets the answer. If it's
    > really the problem of his boss and not his he should tell his boss what he
    > found out here.

    Geez.... I thought the guy was pretty polite.
    At the top of his very first post he says "im new here, so please excuse my
    unfamiliarity with protocols."

    And at the end he makes it pretty clear what he thinks he's looking for:
    "I've looked all over and can't find anything really comparable that clearly
    runs on x64. For that matter, nothing really comparable that runs on
    **anything**.....
    "I know how much CS thechies love playing with their toys, and I'm hopin'
    and
    prayin' somebody a lot smarter than me has figured out a way to get this
    32-bit driver to work properly on a 64-bit OS."

    He clearly was not aware that 32-bit drivers wouldn't work on the 64-bit
    system. He wouldn't be the first person to post a question to a newsgroup
    out of ignorance (though it seems pretty clear he did a lot of research
    before coming here).

    In his response to Rick, he says again what he's hoping to find: "I do
    hereby (politely, I hope) request any and all *positive* suggestions for a
    way to resolve my dilemma: I have been unable to locate an x64 compatible
    pointing device of similar capabilities to my Kensington model 64213.
    Whether that be a driver overlay, a 3rd party source, or an entirely
    different device is not important."

    He's asking us if we know whether there's a driver or a similar device out
    there. A perfectly acceptable newsgroup question in my mind.

    My reaction to you was not about your suggestion that he go back to 32-bit.
    It was more about this section: "The question is why you want to run the x64
    edition of Windowsxp on systems with only 2GB of memory? Especially since
    hardware that is
    important for you doesn't work."

    My point was he didn't really "want" to do that. It's his boss's decision.
    What his boss will do is probably an interesting question. I'd bet you could
    go into thousands of offices today and find that rank-and-file employees
    have done something to their workstations either in the form of bringing
    their own hardware (like the mouse) or downloading an applet that they find
    makes their job easier to do. And they may do this without their bosses ever
    knowing about it. I'm sure this kind of thing drives the IT departments
    crazy. but lots of times employees are able to do this without completely
    f---king up the entire office network and it makes their work lives a whole
    lot better. I kind of get the impression from the original post (though I
    could be wrong) that the boss's approach here is, "I don't care about your
    fancy mouse. Work with the one we gave you."

    BTW, x64 is running fine on 2GB for me, though I'm certainly not doing CAD
    work, which is what it sounds like the OP is doing.

    DP, Jun 17, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message
    :
[...]

    Well hopefully the OP can take our posts in to the boss and convince
    him/her to revert back to 32-bit XP or purchase compatible x64
    hardware, because evidently the boss (as most bosses do) made an
    uninformed decision?

    Admiral Q, Jun 18, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    DP Guest

    > Well hopefully the OP can take our posts in to the boss and convince
    > him/her to revert back to 32-bit XP or purchase compatible x64
    > hardware,

    True, though I think the OP's point was he couldn't even find comparable x64
    compatible hardware, hence his desire to make his existing hardware work.

    DP, Jun 18, 2006
  13. * DP:

    > Geez.... I thought the guy was pretty polite.
    > At the top of his very first post he says "im new here, so please excuse my
    > unfamiliarity with protocols."

    I never said he was unpolite or that his posting was off-topic or
    something like that.

    > He clearly was not aware that 32-bit drivers wouldn't work on the 64-bit
    > system.

    Right, but this has been told to him already.

    > In his response to Rick, he says again what he's hoping to find: "I do
    > hereby (politely, I hope) request any and all *positive* suggestions for a
    > way to resolve my dilemma: I have been unable to locate an x64 compatible
    > pointing device of similar capabilities to my Kensington model 64213.
    > Whether that be a driver overlay, a 3rd party source, or an entirely
    > different device is not important."
    >
    > He's asking us if we know whether there's a driver or a similar device out
    > there. A perfectly acceptable newsgroup question in my mind.

    The question is acceptable. But that doesn't change the fact that
    besides the ones suggested in this thread there are no other solutions.
    Period.

    > My reaction to you was not about your suggestion that he go back to 32-bit.
    > It was more about this section: "The question is why you want to run the x64
    > edition of Windowsxp on systems with only 2GB of memory? Especially since
    > hardware that is
    > important for you doesn't work."
    >
    > My point was he didn't really "want" to do that. It's his boss's decision.

    Honestly I don't care whom problem it is. He asked and he gets the
    answer. If someone else made the mess and he's asking in position of
    someone else he should pass the informations to this person.

    But all this (whos responsible etc) has nothing to do with 64bit Windows...

    > BTW, x64 is running fine on 2GB for me, though I'm certainly not doing CAD
    > work, which is what it sounds like the OP is doing.

    Of course it's working fine. But with only 2GB there is no real reason
    for x64 since it has no real benefits with that low memory but causes
    troubles the 32bit version wouldn't (like missing drivers for a mouse)...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 18, 2006
  14. Well well....

    Why don't you guys delete the previuos message when you reply??

    Seems to me that "azutjw" is pretty much left uot in the cold.
    I got the same replies from Netgear when I asked them about 64-bit driver,
    they don't have any!
    And... are not, at least for now, planning to make any!

    But...

    I did find x64 drivers for my Wireless network card!
    It's the Netgear WG311T
    As it happens, Gigabyte uses the same chip in their network card GN-WP01GT!
    you can find it here...
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...unication&ProductID=988&ProductName=GN-WP01GT

    Works like a charm on Xp x64 AND Vista B2 x64!

    BTW I'm running Windows x64 with "only" 768 Mb RAM!

    It still a lot faster than 32-bit Win Xp
    And.. runs about 5-7 degrees cooler!!!

    Hope this was helpful to anyone!

    Hawkeye

    =?Utf-8?B?SGF3a2V5ZQ==?=, Jun 19, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    DP Guest

    "Hawkeye" <> wrote in message
    > Well well....
    >
    > Why don't you guys delete the previuos message when you reply??

    My own view is that you should at least leave enough of the previous
    message(s) in so that readers know exactly what it is you're responding to.
    Threads can go on for months if not years, so it's not always clear what is
    being responded to unless the responder leaves enough of the original
    message in.
    I agree that they don't have to leave the entire thread in. It bugs me when
    people do that, and then expect you to scroll all the way through that until
    you get to the bottom-posted reply.

    DP, Jun 19, 2006
  16. Well if you're in love with your Kensington product you may have to start a
    "smell" as it were. Find all the forums you can and start advocating for a
    driver. A forum that a company tech hangs out is usually the best place to
    get the stink started. The only way companies like that pay attention is if
    customers tell them they'll never buy their products again because they are
    jerks for not supporting a new os. Basically they want you to spend money on
    a new product, not support the old one, only thing you can really do is vote
    with your $$$$$$ and not buy kensington again. I won't own a mouse or
    trackball that doesn't run with the stock microsoft drivers....I decided that
    a long time ago.

    You might also want to go someplace like www.zipzoomfly.com and see if
    perhaps there is a generic version of the product you are soo pleased with,
    just because Kensington is being a jerk doesn't mean that Taiwan is also
    being a jerk.

    Unfortunately, the most supported mouse and keyboard products are going to
    be microsoft's own until other companies get off their figurative hineys and
    either hire 64 bit programmers or send their own 32 bit programmers back to
    school to learn about 64 bit. It's my fervent hope that once VISTA is out it
    will be a simple matter to reinvent those drivers for xp64. I for one have
    zero plans to touch VISTA, it sounds like a bloated overthought mess if you
    ask me. I think a lot of folks will try vista and ditch it for xp64.

    You may not be aware of the microsoft products that will keep you happy,
    they have had some great trackballs in the last 6 or 7 years. Go to a
    computer show (check out www.marketproshows.com) where they tend to sell
    older products, you may be very pleasantly surprised. I love my ms optical
    trackball, it's given me many years of flawless service and doesn't need
    anything but stock windows drivers to operate. MS has already released a
    version of intellipoint for 64 bit and intellitype too.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VlIGluIEZsb3JpZGE=?=, Jun 20, 2006
  17. You would think that MS would be out front with x64 drivers, but in fact
    they are not. It took them a year after release of x64 to get the Intelli-
    drivers out. There was a lot of teeth-grinding in this ng over that. There
    are other examples. It has been one of the ironies of the x64 experience.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 20, 2006
  18. * Hawkeye:

    > Well well....
    >
    > Why don't you guys delete the previuos message when you reply??

    Because that would be a very poor posting style which only makes it more
    difficult to follow a thread for a reader. The reason for quoting
    what the poster is relating to.

    Of course postings that do a useless fullquote and where the message is
    also posted on top of the fullquote are poor posting style, too.

    > Seems to me that "azutjw" is pretty much left uot in the cold.
    > I got the same replies from Netgear when I asked them about 64-bit driver,
    > they don't have any!
    > And... are not, at least for now, planning to make any!

    Well, most manufacturers are holding out for Vista so we won't see much
    improvement for xp x64...

    > BTW I'm running Windows x64 with "only" 768 Mb RAM!
    >
    > It still a lot faster than 32-bit Win Xp
    > And.. runs about 5-7 degrees cooler!!!

    That's probably more a thing of better/newer drivers than of xp x64
    itself...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 22, 2006
  19. To ALL who answered: many thanks!

    Special thanks to DP and Sue in Florida, you seemed to be the only ones who
    understood what I was looking for...I was beginning to wonder if my knowledge
    of English had failed utterly, or if NetSpeak was actually a radical patois:)

    As an ME, I doubt I'll be back -- farewell all, and remember: Frodo LIVES!

    =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=, Jun 26, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?YXp1dGp3?=

    DP Guest

    You're welcome. I'm guessing you never got that mouse to work under x64?

    DP, Jun 27, 2006