    anticipate 64-bit Vista drivers for notebooks be easier to come by? Any
    tips on where I can find compatibility information on the web?

    Thanks
    RMZ, Jan 27, 2007

  2. RMZ

    Spinnacre Guest

    From my experience over the last year or more, drivers for both 32 and
    64-bit Vista are out there for most recent hardware. The only real group of
    exceptions I have run into are printers and scanners, so check on those
    first. But, I tend to hold onto my peripherals longer than internal system
    hardware.

    Also, I have an HP notebook running Vista x64 and HP has been VERY difficult
    about supplying drivers pre-launch, but promise to have many of them
    available on launch day. Of particular concern is the common Conexant/ATI
    SB400 integrated sound chip, which still has no signed-driver available and
    Vista is picky about using only signed drivers (for good reason, I might
    add). Why HP would not want to have those drivers out for beta testing
    before the launch of Vista is way beyond me.

    Otherwise, Vista RC1 (a pre-release version) installs more easily than any
    previous Windows OS and the final version will only be better because there
    will be a much larger collection of included drivers, not to mention more
    manufacturers having the latest ones available on their websites.

    Spinnacre, Jan 27, 2007

  3. RMZ

    John Barnes Guest

    To answer your question, 64-bit drivers are more rare than 32-bit drivers.
    With a larger install base, 32-bit is where the manufacturers will first put
    their efforts.

    John Barnes, Jan 27, 2007
  4. WHDC has now a requirement to submit an x64 driver along x86 ; also you get
    subtantial validation discount for submitting them around the same time. IMHO
    this is was a great move.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 31, 2007