    motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E-Deluxe and the CPU is a Socket 478. Can
    anyone tell me what CPU I need to get buy in order to install the 64 bit? Or
    is there something in the BIOS that needs to be adjusted? thanks Ron

    radron13, May 17, 2008

  2. radron13

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I do not believe there are any socket 478 processors that are EM64T. Sorry.

    This might be useful to check:
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=All&ProcFam=483&SearchKey=

    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, May 17, 2008

  3. That motherboard shows NO 64-bit drivers available on the Asus site.
    Therefore you really need to go with a new motherboard and CPU to support
    64-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2008
  4. radron13

    Bender Guest

    Only the LGA (Land Grid Array) on Intel processors support the 64 bit
    architecture. The Socket 478 has no supporting processors.

    Bender, May 18, 2008
  5. radron13

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ron.

    As the others said, you need a new 64-bit motherboard/chipset to support the
    64-bit CPU. Fortunately, you can get a dual-core 64-bit mobo/CPU combo from
    Fry's for under $200. Of course, you will need new RAM to go with it, but
    that also is very cheap these days; you can get 2 GB of fast RAM for under
    $50. You probably can still use your present hard drives, but the new mobo
    will likely also support any upgraded drives (SATA, RAID, USB, etc.) that
    you might need sometime soon.

    Long ago I subscribed to the "just get a faster CPU" idea, and it worked for
    a while. But for the past decade or so, each CPU upgrade has required a new
    mobo, too. But I'm amazed (and pleased) at how little a mobo costs compared
    to the rest of the computer, especially considering that it is the
    foundation on which everything else rests. Even a state-of-the-art board
    can be had for less than $100, although I would always insist on one of
    better quality than that. Still, my current EPoX MF570sli mobo cost only
    $138 in December 2006. (I spent another $310 for the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU
    and $232 for 2 GB PC6400 RAM, but those prices have dropped dramatically
    since then.)

    Let's see...Fry's ad in yesterday's Austin American-Statesman shows an ECS
    mobo/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ combo for $99.99 (1 day only, 1 per customer)
    and 2 GB OCZ DDR2 PC6400 RAM for $29.99 (after $15 mail-in rebate). That's
    $130 for what cost me over $600 just about 17 months ago - and with a newer
    chipset than mine! Wow!

    In short, trying to upgrade your system while preserving your old mobo is
    penny wise and pound foolish - to coin a phrase. ;^}

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX