    --
    Paul
    Melbourne, Australia

    Paul Richards, Mar 16, 2010

  2. Paul Richards

    James Kosin Guest

    James Kosin, Mar 16, 2010

  3. Paul Richards

    Drew Guest

    "Stefan Pendl" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:18:58 -0400, James Kosin <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 3/15/2010 9:45 PM, Paul Richards wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
    >>> targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
    >>>

    >>Free no.
    >>

    > Free YES ;-)
    >
    > ANSI C:
    >
    > Pelles C
    > http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/index.htm
    >
    > Windows Driver Kit
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-7633f2ec14ff
    > Even so it is a driver kit, you can compile GUI applications
    > too.
    >

    > C, C++, .NET (VB, C#):
    >
    > Windows SDK
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-9671-4330-A63E-1FD44E0E2505&displaylang=en

    If this last is referring to the Express Edition of Visual Studio (although
    it looks like a link to the SDK which AFAIK doesn't contain a compiler at
    all) then *NO* it won't compile x64. I don't know about the other links
    provided YMMV. Good luck.

    Drew

    Drew, Mar 16, 2010
  4. Stefan Pendl wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:43:37 -0500, "Drew" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> C, C++, .NET (VB, C#):
    > > >
    > >> Windows SDK

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-9671-4330-A63E-1FD44E0E2505&displaylang=en

    > > If this last is referring to the Express Edition of Visual Studio
    > > (although it looks like a link to the SDK which AFAIK doesn't
    > > contain a compiler at all) then NO it won't compile x64. I don't
    > > know about the other links provided YMMV. Good luck.
    > >
    > > Drew
    > >

    > The SDK does include several build environments and compilers for the
    > mentioned languages. It does not include an IDE or other source code
    > editor.
    >
    > For .NET you can use the SharpDevelop IDE at
    > http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ , which uses the compiler
    > included in the SDK.
    >
    > For C you could use the MinGWdevStudio to create the code and compile
    > for x64 using the SDK.
    >
    > The express version of visual studio does not include a x64 compiler,
    > but you can utilize the one included in the SDK.
    >
    > Check the download page for the SDK, which includes hints about what
    > is included or start the web download I linked to, to get the list of
    > components, you will be surprised.
    >
    > ---
    > Stefan Pendl
    >
    > Windows Vista SP2
    > AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
    > 4 GB RAM

    Thanks for the replies, guys.

    What about the MinGW toolchain which uses the GCC software? I've found
    the mingw-w64 sourceforge.net project which describes itself as "a
    complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries native to
    Windows 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems". I presume this will be OK
    on Windows 7 - am I correct in that assumption?

    For IDEs I have used Code::Blocks, Notepad++ and NetBeans on previous
    occasions.

    --
    Paul
    Melbourne, Australia

    Paul Richards, Mar 17, 2010
  5. Stefan Pendl wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:03:48 -0700, "Paul Richards"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > What about the MinGW toolchain which uses the GCC software? I've
    > > found the mingw-w64 sourceforge.net project which describes itself
    > > as "a complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries
    > > native to Windows 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems". I presume
    > > this will be OK on Windows 7 - am I correct in that assumption?
    > >

    > You should be fine using MinGW x64.
    >
    > If you still have problems using MinGW, you can use it as the IDE and
    > compile with a different compiler.
    >
    > ---
    > Stefan Pendl
    >
    > Windows 7 x64 RTM
    > AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
    > 4 GB RAM

    Stefan, thanks. Since my last post I've also discovered WPG System 64
    which aims to package a complete set of 64 bit developers' tools based
    on GCC, including pre-configured IDEs like code::blocks.

    Do you have any opinions on this package?

    --
    Paul
    Melbourne, Australia

    Paul Richards, Mar 17, 2010