    Crash

    "When you want to fool the world, tell the truth."
    ~ Otto von Bismarck ~

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 24, 2009

  2. At this point in time, there really isn't much reason to run the 64-bit
    version, unless you want a browser that doesn't run various addons like
    flash, etc. Which is why the 32-bit is the default. At some point in the
    future, I expect we'll be at a point where 64-bit is everywhere and there's
    full support for 64-bit browswers, but that time isn't yet.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 24, 2009

  3. That's because it doesn't support any add-ins more than any other reason.
    But I agree, there can be good reasons to use it. Just not ones for normal
    browsing where folks need and expect various add-ins to work.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 24, 2009
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > That's because it doesn't support any add-ins more than any other
    > reason. But I agree, there can be good reasons to use it. Just not ones
    > for normal browsing where folks need and expect various add-ins to work.

    So back to my original question, why have a 64 bit browser in the first
    place? The internet is only 1 bit!

    --
    Crash

    "Update" and "upgrade" are not synonyms.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 24, 2009
  5. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    mikeyhsd Guest

    it is the other way around.
    for instance java is only 32 bit.

    so it is the support programs that are not working.
    making you use 32 bit version of IE.

    mikeyhsd, Nov 24, 2009
  6. mikeyhsd wrote:
    > it is the other way around.
    > for instance java is only 32 bit.
    >
    > so it is the support programs that are not working.
    > making you use 32 bit version of IE.
    >
    > "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, and it has both 32 and 64 bit
    > versions of Internet Explorer installed. It runs the 32 bit version by
    > default. So what is the point of a 64 bit browser? What can it do that
    > the 32 bit version can't?

    I just made an interesting discovery. I use the InternetExplorer object
    in scripts. It turns out my scripts are using the 64 bit IE. I am
    guessing that is because it is the one in the "Program Files" folder.

    --
    Crash

    Do not confuse advances in technology with advances in civilization.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 24, 2009
  7. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    There IS 64-bit java for IE.
    Go here:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    Click download on the JRE section and download 64-bit java.
    Install it and check it here:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 25, 2009
  8. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    Tom Lake Guest

    "mikeyhsd" <> wrote in message
    it is the other way around.
    for instance java is only 32 bit.

    Java isn't the problem. It has a 64-bit version. The real problem is
    Adobe Flash which only has a 32-bit version. When Adobe gets
    their act together (how long have 64-bit versions of Windows been out?)
    I'll switch to 64-bit IE and not look back.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Nov 25, 2009
  9. Tom Lake wrote:
    > "mikeyhsd" <> wrote in message
    > it is the other way around.
    > for instance java is only 32 bit.
    >
    > Java isn't the problem. It has a 64-bit version. The real problem is
    > Adobe Flash which only has a 32-bit version. When Adobe gets
    > their act together (how long have 64-bit versions of Windows been out?)
    > I'll switch to 64-bit IE and not look back.

    Why? What does IE64 do that IE32 doesn't? What does it do better?

    --
    Crash

    "Stupidity has a knack of getting its way."
    ~ Albert Camus ~

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 25, 2009
  10. Hi
    I think you might
    "expect that time in the future"

    when 640 k of ram is enough for every computeruser *
    ;-)

    JK

    *which IS, when the pc's bios is filled with code to log in
    into "someones" cloud, and runs this ones word 4 online

    Juergen Kluth, Nov 25, 2009
  11. David B. wrote:
    > It's just a 64 bit version of the application, it accomplishes the same
    > tasks as the 32 bit version. I actually prefer to use it as it doesn't
    > support flash, thus many adds and flash based attacks are rendered non
    > existent.

    That I can dig. I'll try using it for awhile. I can always use the 32
    bit version for visits to YouTube. :)

    --
    Crash

    Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 25, 2009
  12. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    Scott Guest

    On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:15:51 -0500, "David B." <>
    wrote:

    >It's just a 64 bit version of the application, it accomplishes the same
    >tasks as the 32 bit version. I actually prefer to use it as it doesn't
    >support flash, thus many adds and flash based attacks are rendered non
    >existent.

    Can you install both versions and give them different names?

    Scott, Nov 25, 2009
  13. David B. wrote:
    > Exactly, you'll be surprised how many sites use flash only to serve
    > advertisements.

    The problem is that IE still shows that annoying information bar.

    --
    Crash

    ~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 25, 2009
  14. What do you mean by your question? Bother versions of IE are
    automatically installed in all 64-bit versions of Windows; the 32-bit is
    just 'Internet Explorer' and the 64-bit is 'Internet Explorer (64-bit)'
    so they have "different" names from the get-go! Look on your Start Menu
    and you will see them listed.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 25, 2009
  15. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Scott.

    As Bobby said, if you have 64-bit Windows, Vista or Win7, then you already
    have BOTH versions of IE (7 or 8) installed.

    You should find them at:
    32-bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    64-bit version: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    Just click on the one you want. Or create a shortcut or pin to your Taskbar
    or...whatever.

    Unless you change things, IE will default to the 32-bit version. By
    default, they both use the same icon and program name, so you'll have to
    edit these to be able to easily tell the difference.

    To see which one you are currently running, click Help | About Internet
    Explorer, as usual. If it is 64-bit, it will say "64-bit Edition" on the
    "Version" line; the 32-bit version doesn't even mention "bitness".

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 25, 2009
  16. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    Scott Guest

    On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:05:46 -0500, Bobby Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >What do you mean by your question? Bother versions of IE are
    >automatically installed in all 64-bit versions of Windows; the 32-bit is
    >just 'Internet Explorer' and the 64-bit is 'Internet Explorer (64-bit)'
    >so they have "different" names from the get-go! Look on your Start Menu
    >and you will see them listed.

    Okay, sorry. My new computer has not arrived yet; or I would have
    known that.

    Scott, Nov 25, 2009
  17. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    Anon Guest

    gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

    64-bit software whether operating systems or applications or browsers
    tastes better, smells better, it's like napalm in the morning. You
    should use it because it's the future, and if your still using that
    32-bit crap you might as well die now.

    Anon, Nov 28, 2009
  18. Anon wrote:
    > gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    > Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    > And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    > That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

    Put a lid on it, Henry.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 28, 2009