64-bit browser crash

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. My computer hangs, must do reset when
    visiting www.tomshardware.com and browsing
    through pages !

    No problem with 32-bit version...
    Anyone is experiencing this ?

    I have all the latest drivers, incl. AMD X2
    processor driver..

    Thanks !!

    Here is my setup :

    Model : 1x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
    Speed : 2.01GHz
    Model Number : 3800 (estimated)
    Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-K8NF-9
    Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
    Monitor/Panel : Optiquest V95
    Adapter : RADEON X700 PRO Series
    Hard Disk : NVIDIA STRIPE 149.06G
    CD-ROM/DVD : YAMAHA CRW3200E (CD 40X Rd, 24X Wr)

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Continue to use the 32-bit edition of IE6. Few websites use 64-bit
    controls.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005

  3. I have the same CPU on an Epox board. It doesn't crash after 5 minutes of
    poking around Toms. Any specific pages?

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 6, 2005
  4. > Continue to use the 32-bit edition of IE6. Few websites use 64-bit
    > controls.

    Thank you !!

    I though there was a driver issue with my hardware ;)

    Mike
    (Really satisfied with my x64 setup !)

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Dec 6, 2005
  5. "Dennis Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >I have the same CPU on an Epox board. It doesn't crash after 5 minutes of
    >poking around Toms. Any specific pages?

    Okay I'll try again but this is in the name of science..
    be back in 5 mins.

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Dec 6, 2005
  6. >
    > Okay I'll try again but this is in the name of science..
    > be back in 5 mins.

    Well it didn't crash that time but I didn't use
    the middle button of my old PS/2 Logitech
    mouse (to activate the automatic smooth scroll)

    Could it be that ? I didn't installed drivers for
    my mouse.

    Thanks guys

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Dec 6, 2005
  7. No sorry it froze.. in a Doom 3 the movie page

    It always freeze 2-3 seconds when loading a new
    page.. maybe it is when a particular ad kicks in.

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Dec 6, 2005
  8. Mike Gleason jr Couturier

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    I was experiencing it, but made Firefox my default browser and haven't
    noticed any problems since...

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 6, 2005
  9. If you mean www.doom3.com, I see that many of the pages require Active X
    controls, which the 64 bit browser doesn't support. I don't crash, but they
    don't install either...

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 6, 2005
  10. > "Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <> wrote in message
    >> No sorry it froze.. in a Doom 3 the movie page
    >>
    >> It always freeze 2-3 seconds when loading a new
    >> page.. maybe it is when a particular ad kicks in.

    No, in an article about Doom3 the movie on toms...
    But I think it is one of the random ad that crashed
    my computer... well I'll use the 32-bit version as
    advised..

    thanks all for help !!

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Dec 6, 2005
  11. I read somewhere today that Firefox Deluxe is going to cost $29.95 for the
    first 30 days and $39.95 regular. Of course the Standard will remain free.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  12. Mike Gleason jr Couturier

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Not surprised, they recently became a corporation...

    I can't imagine needing anything more than standard as a home user. It's
    still, I believe, open source which means they're not the only people with
    the source code to it and if the "firefox" name brand becomes tainted, all
    someone has to do is rename the source code, pull over the old open source
    developers onto the new project and continue.

    I recently ran across a project I wanted to use that did that that went
    through that. "mambo!", a php content managment system (for making portal
    pages or blogs or whatever) recently went somewhat commercial --- so the
    developers took the source they had and made Joomla! which is basically the
    same thing except all new work goes into Joomla! and its non-commercial ..
    It's a no win for the moneymakers but a sure win for the end users as long
    as they don't mind the product name changing.

    After all, Firefox used to be just called mozilla which used to be called
    Netscape! which used to be called Mosaic.

    Incidentally, Internet Explorer, like firefox and netscape, both came from
    Mosaic --- and you'll find some notes to that extent in the help->about page
    in internet explorer if you read it.

    -Rob
    p.s. no I'm not a communist..

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 6, 2005
  13. Mike Gleason jr Couturier

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    OK, here's the story.. as I understand it after doing some research..

    There are some -- questionable web sites -- that are taking firefox and
    charging for the privilege of downloading it from them.

    As long as you get it from the official source, www.mozilla.org, it _should_
    always be free. The other download locations are questionable integrity
    with respect to whether the software is virus/spyware infected, plus they
    are profiting on software which costs them nothing and really should cost
    you nothing. it's apparently legal since you're allowed to charge for the
    cost of transferring the software (whether it's on disk or through the web),
    but it _should_ always be free on mozilla.org.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 6, 2005
  14. Rob, I have to 'fess up. I fabricated the whole thing just get you going.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  15. Mike Gleason jr Couturier

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Thanks -- it felt good.. :) ..

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 6, 2005
  16. Mike Gleason jr Couturier

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    p.s. It's not nice to make fun of the crazy people ;-).

    i'm sure by now i said it thousands of times here but -- I have been
    classified as suffering from a form of Schizophrenia that includes features
    of Manic Depression too. I'm about as loopy as they come <g>. My diagnosis
    is Schizoaffective Disorder, but my condition is so bad that I've been
    BANNED from the MSN Group on same
    (http://groups.msn.com/SchizoaffectiveDisorder). Why? Because I didn't
    like how a relative of someone with the disorder was talking about the
    person they knew with the disorder. yeah, i'm very easily trigerred as
    Colin pointed out.

    But yes, even crazy people run Windows XP x64 Edition -- possibly only
    crazy people run it.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 6, 2005