    are there other obvious benefits to the end user?

    Thanks.

    , Jan 23, 2007

  2. The bits really are nothing much more than the width of the Data-Path - it's
    like a freeway, if you have one hour going from A to B and the freeway isn't
    filled at the time, then doubling the number of lanes wouldn't halve, or
    even reduce your travel time.

    So, the only way to know if you need it, is to evaluate how filled is your
    data-path now, and how much data would you be needing to push through?

    There is generally no speed advantage from going to 64bits alone, you may be
    able to turn more memory into good use and depending on what is the OS,
    design philosofy of the system may be a bonus, even in a 32bit situation.
    That is often the case with XP x64, not because it is 64bit, but because it
    is well designed, and this design was implemented because it is 64bit.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 23, 2007

  3. Joe Yong Guest

    You can spend a week discussing this if you find the right people and have
    enough beer/pizza. :)

    At a very high level, you have the _capacity_ for better performance or
    little/no performance degradation as you run larger, more complex
    application. This is a generalization of course and not often true with
    32-bit apps running on a 64-bit OS/hardware. When the apps vendors move to
    64-bit compilers, this becomes real.

    A few points to ponder:
    1. What applications are you running?
    Different apps will benefit (or not) at varying levels. This has to do with
    how the application consumes resources (how much and how quickly it consumes
    it). That's why I say you have the capacity. Whether you use it or not,
    that's up to your app.

    2. What 64-bit platform are your looking at?
    x64 is very different from IA64. There are technical pros & cons to each,
    not to mention financial and operational. However one key point to remember
    here is that you cannot discuss this by just comparing CPUs. You need to
    consider the entire server platform (chipsets, bus architecture, cache
    sizes, etc...)

    3. In a couple of years, it wouldn't really matter anymore.
    Already the case for servers - I have not worked on a new 32-bit server in
    the past 1.5 years (but I'm a database guy so my experience is skewed).
    Desktops and notebooks are catching up - you can already get a dual-core,
    x64 laptop with 4GB of RAM today.

    joe.

    Joe Yong, Jan 23, 2007
  4. Dennis Pack Guest

    Bob:
    There's a useful whitepaper on the Windows XP 64bit web site that I
    think should help you decide:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
    Compliments of Charlie Russel. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Jan 23, 2007