64 Bit as an Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBBc2hl?=, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. Can Vista 64-Bit (Business or Ultimate) be installed over XP Pro (32-bit) as
    an upgrade allowing you to keep your existing settings?

    =?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBBc2hl?=, Feb 4, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBBc2hl?=

    Theo Guest

    No. There is a structural difference between 32-bit and
    64-bit that makes it not compatible. You need to do a
    completely clean install; either a new hard drive or
    completely delete the current installation.

    Theo, Feb 4, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBBc2hl?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    No, there is no support for cross-platform (32-bit to 64-bit) upgrades of
    any kind.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 4, 2007
  4. "Theo" wrote:

    > No. There is a structural difference between 32-bit and
    > 64-bit that makes it not compatible. You need to do a
    > completely clean install; either a new hard drive or
    > completely delete the current installation.

    Theo and Aaron, thanks to both. I suspected that was the case but had to
    check since I've already been bitten on one machine with the XP Pro - Home
    Premium snafu.

    =?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBBc2hl?=, Feb 4, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UnVzcyBBc2hl?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:29:56 -0600, "Aaron Kelley" <>
    wrote:

    >No, there is no support for cross-platform (32-bit to 64-bit) upgrades of
    >any kind.

    Even if there was, a fresh install might be more work, but definitely
    safer. After all it's such a change in OS, it still very well possible
    something has been overlooked. Plus it will give you a clean, fresh
    registry :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 5, 2007