    severe software incompatibility except for MS Server 2003 and Linux 64
    bit OS'es. What are your experiences ?
    Steve

    steve h., Jul 21, 2004

  2. steve h.

    Michael-NC Guest

    Your friend is ignorant. The AMD 64 is a fully compliant 32bit piece. AMD 64
    runs 32 bit as well as 64 bit software.

    An Athlon 64 3500 keeps up pretty well with Intel's top of the line CPU and
    is 500 dollars less.

    Michael-NC, Jul 21, 2004

  3. steve h.

    Wizard Guest

    Nonsense!

    Wizard, Jul 21, 2004
  4. steve h.

    steve h. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:58:40 -0400, steve h.
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > TIA for your informative replies. My friend has advised me not to
    > purchase an AMD 64-bit processor at this time, citing concerns with
    > severe software incompatibility except for MS Server 2003 and Linux 64
    > bit OS'es. What are your experiences ?
    > Steve

    One thing he told me was that the OS's would give him error messages
    because the chip would "initialize too fast for the OS"

    steve h., Jul 21, 2004
  5. steve h.

    Michael-NC Guest

    "steve h." <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:58:40 -0400, steve h.
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > TIA for your informative replies. My friend has advised me not to
    > > purchase an AMD 64-bit processor at this time, citing concerns with
    > > severe software incompatibility except for MS Server 2003 and Linux 64
    > > bit OS'es. What are your experiences ?
    > > Steve
    > >

    > One thing he told me was that the OS's would give him error messages
    > because the chip would "initialize too fast for the OS"

    Are you a troll?

    Either that or tell your "friend" to shut the **** up.

    Michael-NC, Jul 21, 2004
  6. steve h.

    steve h. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:48:05 GMT, Michael-NC <>
    wrote:

    > "steve h." <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:58:40 -0400, steve h.
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > TIA for your informative replies. My friend has advised me not

    >> > purchase an AMD 64-bit processor at this time, citing concerns with
    >> > severe software incompatibility except for MS Server 2003 and Linux 64
    >> > bit OS'es. What are your experiences ?
    >> > Steve
    >> >

    >> One thing he told me was that the OS's would give him error messages
    >> because the chip would "initialize too fast for the OS"

    > Are you a troll?
    >
    > Either that or tell your "friend" to shut the **** up.

    I'm not a troll, honest, just a very confused newbie. Thanks for your
    patience. :)

    steve h., Jul 21, 2004
  7. steve h.

    derek / nul Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:09:46 -0400, "steve h." <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:58:40 -0400, steve h.
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> TIA for your informative replies. My friend has advised me not to
    >> purchase an AMD 64-bit processor at this time, citing concerns with
    >> severe software incompatibility except for MS Server 2003 and Linux 64
    >> bit OS'es. What are your experiences ?
    >> Steve
    >>

    >One thing he told me was that the OS's would give him error messages
    >because the chip would "initialize too fast for the OS"

    You can listen to him if you like.
    Typed on an AMD64 3200+ running XP sp2

    derek / nul, Jul 22, 2004
  8. steve h.

    Stuart Guest

    steve h. wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:48:05 GMT, Michael-NC <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "steve h." <> wrote in message

    >>> not to
    >>> >

    >>> One thing he told me was that the OS's would give him error messages
    >>> because the chip would "initialize too fast for the OS"

    >> Are you a troll?
    >>
    >> Either that or tell your "friend" to shut the **** up.
    >>

    > I'm not a troll, honest, just a very confused newbie. Thanks for your
    > patience. :)

    The AMD64 chips are essentially 32bit chips with extra bits bolted on,
    this has been done to allow for slow transition to mainstream pure 64bit
    chips and software.

    Try finding some white papers on AMD64 chips.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 22, 2004
  9. steve h.

    JK Guest

    The Athlon 64 chips are great. Great performance for 32 bit,

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=1

    and low in price, so you are essentially getting the 64 bit capability for free.

    JK, Aug 1, 2004