    Hi
    is there such a tool that will tell me whether I can install a 64-OS on my
    machine? Thanks.
    AIANDAS, Jul 30, 2009

  2. AIANDAS

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    The sole presence of an x64 processor will tell you that you can install a
    64-bit OS.
    If you are not sure about that use this tool:
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    That doesn't mean that you should install a 64-bit OS.
    First of all you should have at least 4 GB of RAM.
    Second you have to make sure that all your hardware pieces have proper x64
    drivers for the OS you intend to install (Windows XP x64, Windows Vista x64,
    Windows 7 x64).
    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 30, 2009

  3. AIANDAS

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ajandas.

    Open a Command Prompt window and enter: systeminfo

    After a few seconds, you should see a list of information about your
    computer. If the System Type says "x64-based PC", you should be good to go
    for Windows x64. ;<)

    Of course, as Carlos says, that doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD
    install 64-bit Windows. I don't concur that you need at least 4 GB of RAM;
    my system ran fine with 2 GB for many months and I'm sure it would have
    run - more slowly - with 1 GB. But do be sure that you have 64-bit drivers
    for your critical hardware; these are not as hard to find as a couple of
    years ago, but they are still essential.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 30, 2009
  4. AIANDAS

    David B. Guest

    I'll second that RAM statement. I'm was running Win7 x64 on my HP laptop,
    1.83Ghz, 1GB of RAM and it ran like a dream, far better than Vista could
    hope to run on 2 or more GB.

    --

    ------

    David B., Jul 30, 2009
  5. Below is part of the output from systeminfo on my system running Win 7
    x86 on a Phenom 9650 quad core.

    As you can see System type reports "x86-based PC"

    On my Win 7 x64 System type reports "x64-based PC"

    If you look at the Processor(s) it reports "[01]: x64 Family 16 Model 2
    Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~1150 Mhz"

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Windows\system32>systeminfo

    Host Name: WIN7X86-PC
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    OS Version: 6.1.7100 N/A Build 7100
    OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
    System Model: A78XA-A2T
    System Type: X86-based PC
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 30, 2009
  6. AIANDAS

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Bobby.

    Thanks for motivating me to look a little further. It was there all
    along...

    <paste>
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    [01]: AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 2 Auth
    D ~2612 Mhz
    BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 8/1/2006
    </paste>

    The System Type is x64 because I'm running x64 Windows, but the next line,
    "Processor(s)" is the key to my 64-bit "AMD64" CPU.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 30, 2009
  7. AIANDAS

    Carlos Guest

    And do try 4 GB.
    :)
    It is not THAT expensive and will make your Windows more "snappy" though
    maybe not faster.
    :) again
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 30, 2009