    _______________________________
    In Christ's matchless name
    ted n6trf
    ted, Oct 6, 2008

  2. ted

    philo Guest

    "ted" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have just got interested in 64 bit operating system. So I understand

    that
    > you need a 64 bit OS. However, does the motherboard & other hardware need

    > be 64 bit specific? TIA

    To run a 64bit operating system, Yes the motherboard and CPU need to be 64
    bit...
    Most any new mobo made within the last few years will probably be 64 bit.

    A 64bit mobo/cpu can of course still run a 32bit OS just fine.

    Though in general the same hardware that works on a 32bit system, will also
    work on a 64bit system...
    the real question is if the manufacturer has written the drivers
    specifically needed for 64 bit.
    So be sure to check to see if drivers are available before purchasing the
    hardware.

    I'm sure that most new hardware out there will have 64bit support. but be
    sure to check first.

    Finally...have a look at the software you plan to use...
    there *might* be compatibility issues...but thus far I've not run into any
    philo, Oct 7, 2008