614,590kb avi file won't fit on a DVD. Noobie question.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Crazy Jack, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. Crazy Jack

    Crazy Jack Guest

    Hello.

    I have an AVI file of the above size. I want to burn it to a DVD to
    play it, I really don't want to watch it on my computer.

    So, I've bought a program I've seen reccomended on these groups and it
    won't fit. Huh? Ulead DVD Movie Factory 4 has a size bar on the
    bottom of the screen, and it says:

    6.42 (6.90) GB / 2 Hour 6 min 12 sec [on the blue bit of the bar]
    (File size?)
    4.38 (4.70) GB [on the end red bit of the bar]
    (Disc size?)

    So, I followed it through the process assumng an expensive bit of
    software like thiw will have a shriknk facility of some sort. On the
    Burn page it has a "reduce size to fit a DVD" button. Hooray. Shame
    the error message says "The minimum size by reducing the bit rates
    still cannot fit on one DVD".

    OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
    I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
    with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.

    --
    Craaazy Jack.
    Jack of all trades, master of none!

    Crazy Jack, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Crazy Jack

    Jeff Guest

    Crazy Jack <> wrote in

    > Hello.
    >
    > I have an AVI file of the above size. I want to burn it to a DVD to
    > play it, I really don't want to watch it on my computer.
    >
    > So, I've bought a program I've seen reccomended on these groups and it
    > won't fit. Huh? Ulead DVD Movie Factory 4 has a size bar on the
    > bottom of the screen, and it says:
    >
    > 6.42 (6.90) GB / 2 Hour 6 min 12 sec [on the blue bit of the bar]
    > (File size?)
    > 4.38 (4.70) GB [on the end red bit of the bar]
    > (Disc size?)
    >
    > So, I followed it through the process assumng an expensive bit of
    > software like thiw will have a shriknk facility of some sort. On the
    > Burn page it has a "reduce size to fit a DVD" button. Hooray. Shame
    > the error message says "The minimum size by reducing the bit rates
    > still cannot fit on one DVD".
    >
    > OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
    > I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
    > with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.

    Assuming you are starting with a VCD size video, MF is likely quadrupling
    the frame size and increasing the bit rate to make it DVD compliant, also
    changing the audio from 44kbps to 48 kbps. This makes your file larger.
    Burning the DVD to a folder on your hard drive with MF then using
    DVDShrink to shrink that down to fit on a disc should work.

    Jeff, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Crazy Jack

    Crazy Jack Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:18:39 GMT, Jeff <> wrote:

    >> OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
    >> I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
    >> with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.
    >>

    >Assuming you are starting with a VCD size video, MF is likely quadrupling
    >the frame size and increasing the bit rate to make it DVD compliant, also
    >changing the audio from 44kbps to 48 kbps. This makes your file larger.
    >Burning the DVD to a folder on your hard drive with MF then using
    >DVDShrink to shrink that down to fit on a disc should work.

    I see how that could work. Thanks for the idea, I should have thought
    of it myself really! I'll try it later this afternoon. I've got a
    door to hang first! (Who said sunday was a day of rest?)

    Crazy Jack, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Crazy Jack

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Crazy Jack" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:18:39 GMT, Jeff <> wrote:
    >

    >>> OK, you experts. How does a 614 meg file become 6.42 GB! And how can
    >>> I get it onto a DVD please? (I've tried DVD shrink and alcohol120%
    >>> with no joy.) I *assume* it started life on one once.
    >>>

    >>Assuming you are starting with a VCD size video, MF is likely quadrupling
    >>the frame size and increasing the bit rate to make it DVD compliant, also
    >>changing the audio from 44kbps to 48 kbps. This makes your file larger.
    >>Burning the DVD to a folder on your hard drive with MF then using
    >>DVDShrink to shrink that down to fit on a disc should work.

    > I see how that could work. Thanks for the idea, I should have thought
    > of it myself really! I'll try it later this afternoon. I've got a
    > door to hang first! (Who said sunday was a day of rest?)

    God?

    Jay Stewart, Oct 18, 2005