    user circles ? I'll be grateful for any personal experience you've had
    with this camera. Thanks in advance for any input.

    , Dec 29, 2005

  2. Scott W Guest

    wrote:
    > I have an offer of a *used* Sony Cybershot DSC-F828 + 256MB memory
    > stick Pro for $600. The owner claims he's had it for 18 months and that
    > it's in excellent condition. Is this price OK, very good or rather high
    > ? Actually prices tend to be high in my area, so this would be roughly
    > equivalent to buying it for about $500 in the US.
    >
    > I believe this camera was put on the market about 2 years ago. I've
    > only had time to briefly go through a few reviews, mostly done when the
    > model was relatively new. Like reviews of many products, they are mixed
    > and even confusingly contradictory. How has it fared in experienced
    > user circles ? I'll be grateful for any personal experience you've had
    > with this camera. Thanks in advance for any input.

    I Have a Sony F828 and love it, but $500 US seems pretty high for a
    camera that is
    that old. A check on ebay shows a lot of people asking about that for
    the F828 but for
    just a bit more money you could buy a DSLR.

    For $500 I would want a new camera and a warranty, but this is just my
    opinion.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Scott W wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > I have an offer of a *used* Sony Cybershot DSC-F828 + 256MB memory
    > > stick Pro for $600. ..........., so this would be roughly
    > > equivalent to buying it for about $500 in the US.
    > >

    > I Have a Sony F828 and love it, but $500 US seems pretty high for a
    > camera that is
    > that old. A check on ebay shows a lot of people asking about that for
    > the F828 but for
    > just a bit more money you could buy a DSLR.
    >
    > For $500 I would want a new camera and a warranty, but this is just my
    > opinion.
    >
    > Scott

    Thanks, Scott. What about the purple fringing that a lot osome people
    complained about earlier ?

    I used to be an avid 'snapshooter' years ago, but have been neglecting
    photography for something like two decades, and I'm a novice when it
    comes to digital photography. I bought a Fujifilm Finepix S3500 a month
    ago to familiarise myself with digicams, and I wouldn't mind hanging on
    to it for a few more months except for two things -

    1) The S3500 cannot focus in anything but a well-lit scene.
    2) I have a buyer for the S3500 right now.

    What immediately caught my attention about the F828, along with its
    many other good features, is its ability to focus in very poor light.
    The S3500 cannot AF even when there's sufficient light for comfortable
    reading. Is this problem prevalent among digicams ?

    , Dec 30, 2005
  4. Scott W Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks, Scott. What about the purple fringing that a lot osome

    people
    > complained about earlier ?
    >
    > I used to be an avid 'snapshooter' years ago, but have been neglecting
    > photography for something like two decades, and I'm a novice when it
    > comes to digital photography. I bought a Fujifilm Finepix S3500 a month
    > ago to familiarise myself with digicams, and I wouldn't mind hanging on
    > to it for a few more months except for two things -
    >
    > 1) The S3500 cannot focus in anything but a well-lit scene.
    > 2) I have a buyer for the S3500 right now.
    >
    > What immediately caught my attention about the F828, along with its
    > many other good features, is its ability to focus in very poor light.
    > The S3500 cannot AF even when there's sufficient light for comfortable
    > reading. Is this problem prevalent among digicams ?

    The F828 ability to focus in low light is one of the really nice things
    about it, most other digital cameras seem to have a lot of problem with
    this.

    The purple fringing is not really that much of a problem. I only get
    it rarely and even when I do it does not bother me much at all.

    The F828 does not do well above ISO 64, I will shoot at ISO 200 if I
    have to but I get a lot of noise when I do. It does have a fast lens
    that works very well even when wide open so this is a bit help.

    One frustration is that photo from the raw file is often way better
    then the jpeg that the camera produces, but the raw file are crazy
    large, 16MB and take forever to save.

    Overall I have really enjoyed using the F828 and think it is a great
    camera.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 30, 2005
  5. bmoag Guest

    I have the 828.
    I think very highly of this camera. It is an early landmark of EVF/digital
    camera design. However the inexperience of Sony's designers and engineers in
    creating high end cameras are evident in the 828.
    Because of its size and weight I doubt that any future cameras of its ilk
    will have a lens of this high quality.
    When I use the 828 to make images under identical circumstances compared
    with my D70 (in raw mode but the 828 in jpeg mode) the images from the 828
    are never inferior and often superior in terms of color fidelity and detail.
    This is not an overstatement, and I am very finicky about these issues.
    Purple fringing is a real issue under some circumstances but no more than
    artifacts inherent to the D70 which, believe it or not, also yields fringing
    if you photograph linear dark objects against a white background.
    Other than as a studio camera the 828 raw mode is kind of useless and does
    not consistently yield images that benefit from the kind of processing that
    makes dSLRs worth using.
    The 828 is overall slow to handle compared to a dSLR and the EVF can be
    difficult to use in bright light.
    The noise issue is exaggerated but real and images from the 828 are best
    quality at the relatively low native ISO equivalent of 64 (dSLRs are usually
    ISO 200). That being said D70 images at much above ISO400 are not all that
    beautiful either.
    IMHO unless you have a burning desire for this now discontinued camera I
    would not pay that much for a used model under the circumstances you
    describe--throw in a 1gb memory card and the deal looks alot better!
    For a bit more $ a dSLR is more versatile if this will be your only high end
    digital camera.
    But I assure you I have no plans to ever sell or trade my 828 and I use it
    often.

    bmoag, Dec 30, 2005
  6. ASAAR Guest

    On 30 Dec 2005 07:02:44 -0800, wrote:

    > The S3500 cannot AF even when there's sufficient light for comfortable
    > reading. Is this problem prevalent among digicams ?

    It's fairly common but not universal. Does the S3500 have an AF
    assist lamp? My S5100 has one and it does help, although in very
    low light I'll occasionally have to refocus. The AF lamp can be
    disabled in the menu, so if the S3500 has one, make sure that it's
    actually being used. I imagine that the new S5200 does much better,
    due to having a better low-light sensor. AF works better focusing
    on some objects than others (the manual should explain this). When
    low light makes it work harder, you might be able to help it out by
    prefocusing on a different object at the same distance and reframing
    the shot to take the picture.

    ASAAR, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On 30 Dec 2005 07:02:44 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > > The S3500 cannot AF even when there's sufficient light for comfortable
    > > reading. Is this problem prevalent among digicams ?

    > It's fairly common but not universal. Does the S3500 have an AF
    > assist lamp? My S5100 has one and it does help, although in very
    > low light I'll occasionally have to refocus. The AF lamp can be
    > disabled in the menu, so if the S3500 has one, make sure that it's
    > actually being used. I imagine that the new S5200 does much better,
    > due to having a better low-light sensor. AF works better focusing
    > on some objects than others (the manual should explain this). When
    > low light makes it work harder, you might be able to help it out by
    > prefocusing on a different object at the same distance and reframing
    > the shot to take the picture.

    No, the S3500 has no AF assist lamp. It's an older 4MP model. I believe
    the S5200 is the same as what's marketed as an S5600 here. I sometimes
    use the prefocusing trick but it's not always convenient. The low-light
    focusing problem with many digitals is something I was not aware of
    before, and is one feature I'll certainly watch out for in future.

    , Jan 1, 2006
  8. Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > I have the 828.
    > I think very highly of this camera. It is an early landmark of EVF/digital
    > camera design. However the inexperience of Sony's designers and engineers in
    > creating high end cameras are evident in the 828.
    > Because of its size and weight I doubt that any future cameras of its ilk
    > will have a lens of this high quality.
    > When I use the 828 to make images under identical circumstances compared
    > with my D70 (in raw mode but the 828 in jpeg mode) the images from the 828
    > are never inferior and often superior in terms of color fidelity and detail.
    > This is not an overstatement, and I am very finicky about these issues.
    > Purple fringing is a real issue under some circumstances but no more than
    > artifacts inherent to the D70 which, believe it or not, also yields fringing
    > if you photograph linear dark objects against a white background.
    > Other than as a studio camera the 828 raw mode is kind of useless and does
    > not consistently yield images that benefit from the kind of processing that
    > makes dSLRs worth using.
    > The 828 is overall slow to handle compared to a dSLR and the EVF can be
    > difficult to use in bright light.
    > The noise issue is exaggerated but real and images from the 828 are best
    > quality at the relatively low native ISO equivalent of 64 (dSLRs are usually
    > ISO 200). That being said D70 images at much above ISO400 are not all that
    > beautiful either.
    > IMHO unless you have a burning desire for this now discontinued camera I
    > would not pay that much for a used model under the circumstances you
    > describe--throw in a 1gb memory card and the deal looks alot better!
    > For a bit more $ a dSLR is more versatile if this will be your only high end
    > digital camera.
    > But I assure you I have no plans to ever sell or trade my 828 and I use it
    > often.

    Thanks for all the friendly informative replies. I've almost decided
    not to buy this camera, but not because of the price. This model is
    still available new from Sony in my country for the equivalent of about
    $1100 US. The owner has reduced it to about $500 (again I'd estimate
    this to be roughly equivalent to a price tag of $400 in the US).

    I live in a corner of India that's not only physically isolated, but
    also has almost nothing in common with the rest of the country -
    language, religion (100% Christian), culture, basic nature, even
    physical appearance.

    What really puts me off is that the seller who put this up on
    eBay-India lives 2000+ km away, and insists on pick-up only (no
    shipping), cash only and won't give return option against any existing
    defects. I have friends in his city to do the pick-up, but they are
    even less knowledgeable than me about cameras. So it looks as if I'll
    have to pass up this chance to own what seems to be a really good
    camera.

    However, the time spent here in this thread, yours and mine, has not
    been wasted. I've learned a lot in the past few days.

    , Jan 1, 2006