    Western Digital Scorpio.

    Thanks

    Teak
    teak, Sep 28, 2007

  2. teak

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:18:20 -0700, teak <>
    wrote:

    >I am seeking a 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive. would a Notebook HD work with a
    >PC?

    Partly.
    1 - You will need a convertor, because laptops use a different
    plug for IDE and power (US $ 10 - 15, I'm told :)
    2 - You will need a mounting convertor. Your desktop accomodates
    3.5" drives, laptop drives are 2.5"
    3 - Laptop drives tend to be 5400 RPM types. Low power
    consumption, low noise. And low speed.

    My 2 cents: a notebook drive is no solution.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Sep 28, 2007

  3. teak

    Tom Benoit Guest

    TigerDirect.com sells 40GB (Maxtor or Seagate-$45) and 80GB (Westen Digital
    Caviar-$50)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=522&Nav=|c:134|&Sort=3&Recs=10

    Tom

    Tom Benoit, Sep 28, 2007
  4. teak

    Shadow36 Guest

    "teak" <> wrote in message
    >I am seeking a 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive. would a Notebook HD work with a
    > PC?
    >
    > It is now hard to find lower capacity hard drives at Staples, Circuit
    > City ETC. Though I like western, I found one, but it sayd note book.
    >
    > Western Digital Scorpio.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Teak

    Can find plenty of smaller hard drives on Ebay.
    Shadow36, Sep 28, 2007
  5. teak

    teak Guest

    On Sep 28, 5:44 pm, "Shadow36" <> wrote:
    > "teak" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...>I am seeking a 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive. would a Notebook HD work with a
    > > PC?

    > > It is now hard to find lower capacity hard drives at Staples, Circuit
    > > City ETC. Though I like western, I found one, but it sayd note book.

    > > Western Digital Scorpio.

    > > Thanks

    > > Teak

    > Can find plenty of smaller hard drives on Ebay.

    Thanks, I am ordering 80 gig, I hope Windows XP works on this My 180
    and 260 are too big for my Mother Board..

    Thanks again
    teak, Sep 28, 2007
  6. teak wrote:
    > I am seeking a 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive. would a Notebook HD work with a
    > PC?
    >
    > It is now hard to find lower capacity hard drives at Staples, Circuit
    > City ETC. Though I like western, I found one, but it sayd note book.
    >
    > Western Digital Scorpio.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Teak

    You have to buy an IDE adapter to connect a notebook HD to a IDE ribbon
    cable. Make sure you use the 80 wire cable.
    middle_class_warrior, Sep 29, 2007
  7. teak

    Mister Guest

    Why not purchase a HD controller such as the Promise Ultra ATA/100
    controller? These have their own BIOS which will work with pretty
    much any motherboard. I've used many times when the motherboard BIOS
    just will not let a large HD work. Your 180 and 260 GB HD should work
    without any problems.

    Do a search on eBay for Promise IDE

    Mister, Sep 29, 2007
  8. teak

    Bill Eitner Guest

    I second this; a HD controller card is one way to go.
    An overlay program is another possibility. I use both
    in a 2001 vintage machine. It has the 137GB BIOS limit.
    It has a 300GB drive employing an overlay and a 400GB
    drive on a controller card. Both solutions are cheap;
    the overlay is free software available from the drive
    manufacturer site, and a controller card is cheaper
    than another drive; as I remember I paid about $15 for
    the one in this box.

    Bill Eitner, Sep 29, 2007