    6 pin PCI-e conenctors
    would be good.

    Thank You In advanced

    ChronicBoy, Dec 1, 2008

  2. ChronicBoy

    Paul Guest

    ChronicBoy wrote:
    > Hi
    > I was wondering how do you have to connect the 6 pin PCI-e Y cable to
    > your
    > PSU. Do you have to just plug in 1 of the 4 pin molex connectors or do
    > you have
    > to plug-in both of them?
    >
    > I'm going to buy 2 of this video card:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130416
    >
    > and this would be my new power supply:
    > http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1502
    >
    > If someone could give me any suggestions on a power supply that has 4x
    > 6 pin PCI-e conenctors
    > would be good.
    >
    > Thank You In advanced

    A 9800 GTX, for comparison, is 108W of power per card. That comes
    mostly from the 12V rail, so 108W/12V = roughly 9 amps per card.
    The power distribution includes allowing 4 amps to flow through
    the PCI Express slot connector. Since two cards draw 8 amps, it
    means the main connection from power supply to motherboard should be
    with a 24 pin connector, or the motherboard should have a Molex
    1x4 on the motherboard for auxiliary power input.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce9800gtx_7.html#sect0

    This PSU has four connectors. 2x6 and 2x(6+2). The 6+2 thing unhinges,
    giving a 6 pin connector. If you had an 8800 kind of card, then you
    leave it together to make an 8 pin. The 60 amps total current
    on the 12V rail, is enough for a 12A processor and two 9A video
    cards, with plenty to spare to run disk drives etc.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

    If you were using adapters, I'd try running a single video card from
    one Molex chain, like this. Since there is no place to plug in
    the dangling 1x4 Molex on the second adapter, I'd leave it
    disconnected. With this wiring pattern, 5 amps comes from the power
    supply, and is split over the three wires provided by the two
    adapters shown. I would not expect to find a Molex chain with
    more connectors on it, but I suppose it happens.

    5A -----X-----X-----X
    | | |
    | | +----Adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #1
    | +---------/

    +---------Second_adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #2
    --/

    The second video card would use its own private Molex chain.

    5A -----X-----X-----X
    | | |
    | | +----Adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #1
    | +---------/

    +---------Second_adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #2
    --/

    A new power supply will eliminate this mess.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 1, 2008

  3. ChronicBoy

    ChronicBoy Guest

    ChronicBoy, Dec 1, 2008
  4. ChronicBoy

    Paul Guest

    ChronicBoy wrote:
    > I found a great/or just a solution
    > I don't know if this is a good decision
    > but it meets my requirements
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256017

    It is 7" long, so check you have space for it.

    http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/da750/da750.html

    Some comments here note a slight buzzing sound from the supply.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817256017

    In terms of nameplate specs, it is about the same as the one I linked to.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 1, 2008
  5. ChronicBoy

    John Holmes Guest