6% Of My Ink

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2010.

  1. Reported by escputil, immediately before head-cleaning:

    Ink color Percent remaining
    Yellow 38
    Magenta 53
    Cyan 91
    Black 56
    Black 48
    Red 66
    Blue 64
    Gloss Optimizer 41

    Immediately after head-cleaning:

    Ink color Percent remaining
    Yellow 31
    Magenta 46
    Cyan 84
    Black 50
    Black 41
    Red 60
    Blue 58
    Gloss Optimizer 35

    That’s 6-8% off each cartridge gone, just like that.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    > Reported by escputil, immediately before head-cleaning:
    >
    > Ink color Percent remaining
    > Yellow 38
    > Magenta 53
    > Cyan 91
    > Black 56
    > Black 48
    > Red 66
    > Blue 64
    > Gloss Optimizer 41
    >
    > Immediately after head-cleaning:
    >
    > Ink color Percent remaining
    > Yellow 31
    > Magenta 46
    > Cyan 84
    > Black 50
    > Black 41
    > Red 60
    > Blue 58
    > Gloss Optimizer 35
    >
    > That’s 6-8% off each cartridge gone, just like that.

    So you've got an Epson R800/1800, or 1900?
    Epson also with the new models, decreases ink capacity.
    IIRC with the R2200, capacity was about 15ml, with the 800/1800/2400,
    about 13ml, with the 1900/2880, about 10ml.
    I've got the 1800/2400 FSM pdf here. I expect that the 1900/2880 are
    the same, in that cleaning cycle runs in stages, with a timer between
    cycles. First cycle purges only a small volume, if there's a second
    cycle within X minutes (5? - I can check if you like) then it ramps up
    to a deeper clean cycle and uses even more ink per cycle, then ramps up
    again to a third level.
    IIRC the first cycle purges volume should be only a couple of percent.
    I've had an R1800 for years, thankfully very few blockages. Cleaning
    the rubber seal around the head parking station (using window cleaner)
    occasionally is a good idea, as is cleaning off any significant build-up
    of ink on the pad where the head sits.
    Me, Sep 15, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    On 15/09/2010 3:58 p.m., Me wrote:

    > IIRC the first cycle purges volume should be only a couple of percent.

    Here's the actual volumes, and note the timer is 7 minutes:
    http://i54.tinypic.com/300d0g3.jpg

    So a "CL1" cycle should be only about 1 1/2%, but a CL1 and a CL2 could
    be getting up to the sort of figures you report.

    I've found that to clear minor blockages without purging heaps of ink is
    to run a CL1, check if it's clear with another nozzle check, if not,
    then leave if for a few hours and recheck. The fresh ink probably
    softens ink set on or around the nozzles, and it seems to blow clear on
    a later nozzle check or print job.
    Me, Sep 15, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:59:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Reported by escputil, immediately before head-cleaning:
    >
    > Ink color Percent remaining
    > Yellow 38
    > Magenta 53
    > Cyan 91
    > Black 56
    > Black 48
    > Red 66
    > Blue 64
    > Gloss Optimizer 41
    >
    > Immediately after head-cleaning:
    >
    > Ink color Percent remaining
    > Yellow 31
    > Magenta 46
    > Cyan 84
    > Black 50
    > Black 41
    > Red 60
    > Blue 58
    > Gloss Optimizer 35
    >
    > That’s 6-8% off each cartridge gone, just like that.

    And you purchased that sort of printer!

    Sweetpea, Sep 15, 2010
  5. On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:00:11 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:59:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Reported by escputil, immediately before head-cleaning:
    >>
    >> Ink color Percent remaining
    >> Yellow 38
    >> Magenta 53
    >> Cyan 91
    >> Black 56
    >> Black 48
    >> Red 66
    >> Blue 64
    >> Gloss Optimizer 41
    >>
    >> Immediately after head-cleaning:
    >>
    >> Ink color Percent remaining
    >> Yellow 31
    >> Magenta 46
    >> Cyan 84
    >> Black 50
    >> Black 41
    >> Red 60
    >> Blue 58
    >> Gloss Optimizer 35
    >>
    >> That’s 6-8% off each cartridge gone, just like that.

    >And you purchased that sort of printer!

    Epson are the best printer for Photo prints, some support 8 ink tanks..
    William Brown, Sep 15, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:02:27 +1200, William Brown wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:00:11 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:59:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reported by escputil, immediately before head-cleaning:
    >>>
    >>> Ink color Percent remaining
    >>> Yellow 38
    >>> Magenta 53
    >>> Cyan 91
    >>> Black 56
    >>> Black 48
    >>> Red 66
    >>> Blue 64
    >>> Gloss Optimizer 41
    >>>
    >>> Immediately after head-cleaning:
    >>>
    >>> Ink color Percent remaining
    >>> Yellow 31
    >>> Magenta 46
    >>> Cyan 84
    >>> Black 50
    >>> Black 41
    >>> Red 60
    >>> Blue 58
    >>> Gloss Optimizer 35
    >>>
    >>> ThatÂ’s 6-8% off each cartridge gone, just like that.

    >>And you purchased that sort of printer!

    > Epson are the best printer for Photo prints, some support 8 ink tanks..

    Don't you mean "Epson IS the best..."?

    After all that is a multinational corporation with its headquarters in
    the USA. We're talking "Epson" not "Epsons" (note the absence of an
    apostrophe).

    Sweetpea, Sep 16, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    On 16/09/2010 6:55 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:02:27 +1200, William Brown wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:00:11 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> And you purchased that sort of printer!

    >> Epson are the best printer for Photo prints, some support 8 ink tanks..

    > Don't you mean "Epson IS the best..."?
    >
    > After all that is a multinational corporation with its headquarters in
    > the USA. We're talking "Epson" not "Epsons" (note the absence of an
    > apostrophe).

    Actually, it's a Japanese company, with headquarters in Nagano Japan.
    Worth correcting in case there were some sad pedants browsing this ng.
    Me, Sep 16, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:47:52 +1200, Me wrote:

    > On 16/09/2010 6:55 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
    >> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:02:27 +1200, William Brown wrote:

    >>> Epson are the best printer for Photo prints, some support 8 ink
    >>> tanks..

    >> Don't you mean "Epson IS the best..."?
    >>
    >> After all that is a multinational corporation with its headquarters in
    >> the USA. We're talking "Epson" not "Epsons" (note the absence of an
    >> apostrophe).
    >>

    > Actually, it's a Japanese company, with headquarters in Nagano Japan.
    > Worth correcting in case there were some sad pedants browsing this ng.

    OK. S: Japan/USA.

    Sweetpea, Sep 16, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:i6pcr3
    $7no$:

    > Thatƒ Ts 6-8% off each cartridge gone, just like that.

    You might be better off printing a basic colour page once a day to keep the
    lines and heads clean. At work we have some nice gear that sits in the
    show room, idle. Scheduled tasks are a must to keep them healthy.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 16, 2010
  10. In message <Xns9DF675764F0daveytaynospamplshot@94.75.214.90>, Dave Taylor
    wrote:

    > You might be better off printing a basic colour page once a day to keep
    > the lines and heads clean.

    This is actually the first time I’ve needed to clean the heads, and I’ve had
    the R800 for about a year and a half now. That’s already an improvement on
    the old Stylus Color 900, which seemed to need cleaning every month.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2010