    director's cut?

    Thanks. (Danke)

    -DVDfanatico
    DVDfanatico, Feb 10, 2004

  2. DVDfanatico

    Nic Guest

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I heard there is a six hour version of Das Boot which was made in Germany

    for
    > TV. Will this be available in the U.S. and how does it compare to the
    > director's cut?
    >
    > Thanks. (Danke)
    >
    > -DVDfanatico

    I have seen the six hour version on UK TV. I prefer the DC. The only extra
    bits I remember were scenes involving more eating at the dinner table.

    ---
    Nic, Feb 10, 2004

  3. DVDfanatico

    Guest

    On 10 Feb 2004 11:44:39 GMT, (DVDfanatico) wrote:

    >I heard there is a six hour version of Das Boot which was made in Germany for
    >TV. Will this be available in the U.S. and how does it compare to the
    >director's cut?
    >
    >Thanks. (Danke)
    >
    >-DVDfanatico

    There is a jap laserdisc set, no subtitles or jap subs only not
    sure which.
    , Feb 10, 2004
  4. DVDfanatico

    jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > (DVDfanatico) wrote:
    >
    >>I heard there is a six hour version of Das Boot which was made in
    >>Germany for TV. Will this be available in the U.S.

    Not likely. As far as I know, it's not even available in Germany. The
    director's cut that *is* available on DVD is the version that Peterson
    prefers and wants to be the definitive version.

    >>and how does it compare to the director's cut?

    Haven't seen it, so I can't say.

    >There is a jap laserdisc set, no subtitles or jap subs only not
    >sure which.

    It's German dialogue, Japanese subtitles, no English. But it's not the
    full-length TV version. It's the original theatrical release version,
    but (a) unlike the original American LD releases, it was letterboxed,
    and (b) unlike the later American LD and DVD releases, it was
    letterboxed at 1.66:1 instead of 1.85:1.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 10, 2004
  5. DVDfanatico

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > >There is a jap laserdisc set, no subtitles or jap subs only not
    > >sure which.

    > It's German dialogue, Japanese subtitles, no English. But it's not the
    > full-length TV version. It's the original theatrical release version,
    > but (a) unlike the original American LD releases, it was letterboxed,
    > and (b) unlike the later American LD and DVD releases, it was
    > letterboxed at 1.66:1 instead of 1.85:1.

    There was also a Japanese laserdisc of the 313-minute TV version:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3320020013&category=1
    8845
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 10, 2004
  6. DVDfanatico

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    >"jayembee" <> wrote:

    >>>There is a jap laserdisc set, no subtitles or jap subs only not
    >>>sure which.

    >>It's German dialogue, Japanese subtitles, no English. But it's not the
    >>full-length TV version. It's the original theatrical release version,
    >>but (a) unlike the original American LD releases, it was letterboxed,
    >>and (b) unlike the later American LD and DVD releases, it was
    >>letterboxed at 1.66:1 instead of 1.85:1.

    >There was also a Japanese laserdisc of the 313-minute TV version:
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3320020013&category=18845

    Son of a gun. I sit corrected. I once had a copy of the one I
    described, but I'd never seen a reference to this one. Thanks.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 11, 2004
  7. DVDfanatico

    ML-78 Guest

    > >>I heard there is a six hour version of Das Boot which was made in
    > >>Germany for TV. Will this be available in the U.S.

    > Not likely. As far as I know, it's not even available in Germany.

    It's available on German VHS and can be ordered from amazon.de. No
    subtitles I assume.

    > The
    > director's cut that *is* available on DVD is the version that Peterson
    > prefers and wants to be the definitive version.

    I don't doubt it's the definitive version of the movie versions, but has
    he ever said he prefers it to the original TV series?

    ML-78
    ML-78, Feb 11, 2004
  8. DVDfanatico

    jayembee Guest

    "ML-78" <> wrote:

    >>The director's cut that *is* available on DVD is the version that Peterson
    >> prefers and wants to be the definitive version.

    >I don't doubt it's the definitive version of the movie versions, but has
    >he ever said he prefers it to the original TV series?

    Yes, I believe he has.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 11, 2004
  9. If you check carefully the listings for HBO and Showtime...they showed the
    version a few times during late 2003. It drags a little but that's life
    inside a submarine, huh?

    William Echevarria, Feb 12, 2004