6 Essential Steps to Protect Your Computer On the Internet

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by OurCompGuy, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. OurCompGuy

    OurCompGuy Guest

    6 Essential Steps to Protect Your Computer On the Internet For Free

    Recently one of my friends asked me to check out if his computer was
    infected by virus. He suspected because occasionally the computer was
    shut down automatically when connected to internet. My first thought
    was the Sasser worm 60 seconds auto count-down. As he uses Windows 98
    second edition with IE5, the virus must be a Sasser variant.

    I'm not network security expert but I know some basic things he must do
    to protect his home PC. It was a shock when he told me that his 4 years
    old PC had no protection except McAfee anti-virus.

    Bought in 2000 and no Windows service packs had been applied since
    then.

    McAfee anti-virus software came with the PC when bought and no updates
    since then.

    No firewall installed.

    No anti spyware installed.
    This is what I did to beef up his PC to the best of my knowledge.

    Step #1: Patch the operating system...

    Step #2: Download, install, and run Spybot to get rid of all spyware...

    Step #3: Download and install Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF)...

    Step #4: Download AVG anti-virus software..

    Read the entire article at
    http://www.ourcomputertips.com/comp...t_your_computer_on_the_internet_for_free.html
    OurCompGuy, Jan 12, 2007