    I'd appreciate any recommendations you folks might be able to make.

    Thanks.

    --Shawn,

    Shawn, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Shawn

    dirtycow Guest

    > I'm looking for suggestions for a 5 megapixel camera that I could use
    > under a variety of conditions. I'm not a professional photographer --
    > not even a serious enough amateur to know all about changing every
    > setting for that perfect shot -- but I do like to take nice photos
    > when I'm on vacation, at parties and so on that I can print on
    > photo-quality paper to hang up in my home, etc. If it gives you any
    > sense of what I'm used to, I used to have a Sony DSC-S85, which I
    > liked (except that low-light photos didn't seem to turn out so well).
    > I'd appreciate any recommendations you folks might be able to make.

    <a few off the top of my head - bear in mind ive not used any of them>

    - Canon Powershot G5
    - Nikon Coolpix 5400
    - Sony DSC-V1
    - Pentax Optio 555
    - FujiFilm S7000 (6.3 megapixels, but roughly same price as above)
    - Nikon Coolpix 5700 (might be too expensive)

    Check out www.dpreview.com for reviews

    Matt

    dirtycow, Jan 12, 2004

  3. If you frame tightly, a 3 megapixel camera should do what you want at a
    lower cost. It will give you a nice, sharp 8 x 10 print, providing you don't
    do any enlargements and stay away from digital zooming.

    A good 5 megapixel camera can be quite expensive. If you do want 5
    megapixels, the Canon S50, S400 and G5 are three possibles.

    Paul Riemerman

    Paul Riemerman, Jan 12, 2004
  4. On 2004-01-12, Shawn <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for suggestions for a 5 megapixel camera that I could use
    > under a variety of conditions.

    Why 5Mpixels ? Nikon D2H, which was introduced in july
    is only 4 Mpixels. And it is a $3200 pro camera. The
    other good pro cameras are 6 Mpixels, and they usually
    start over $1000 + all the lenses you want.

    The Canon G5 makes worse pictures than the G3, as they
    try to squeeze too many pixels into the small size.

    3-4 Mpixels is all you need. Rather go 1mpixel down and get
    a brand name, than to buy junk with better paper specs, and
    less image quality.

    Look at http://www.dpreview.com for reviews and side-by-side.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Shawn

    gr Guest

    "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote

    > The Canon G5 makes worse pictures than the G3, as they
    > try to squeeze too many pixels into the small size.

    And they're both plastic junk.

    The Oly C5050 or C5060 is a much better 5mp camera.

    gr, Jan 12, 2004
  6. I'm really still diggin' my C5050.

    Would not touch a C5060 with a 10 foot pole. (if I could help it)

    Slower lens, proprietary battery = main reasons why.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Shawn

    Mark B. Guest

    "gr" <> wrote in message
    > "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote
    > >
    > > The Canon G5 makes worse pictures than the G3, as they
    > > try to squeeze too many pixels into the small size.

    > And they're both plastic junk.
    >
    > The Oly C5050 or C5060 is a much better 5mp camera.

    The Canons will last just as long as the Oly. What makes Oly "better"?

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 13, 2004
  8. Shawn

    DBB Guest

    "Paul D. Sullivan" <> wrote in news:qzGMb.816$4P6.464
    @nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

    > I'm really still diggin' my C5050.
    >
    > Would not touch a C5060 with a 10 foot pole. (if I could help it)

    Why not? What is wrong with it (serious question)?

    DBB, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Proprietary battery is one reason. I got 3 sets of way cheap AA
    NiMH 1700mA that rock the house. In a pinch I can go to a
    tourist shop and buy 4 standard AA batteries too.

    Also, I really like the fast 1.8 lens. Lets in more light and
    allows me to take better night and poor-light shots. It really
    helps with indoor stuff too. No need to use the flash in some
    cases at all, meaning I get no "flash" reaction from the folks in
    the room.

    Just a personal opinion is all. I think Olympus stepped
    backwards with the 5060 from the 5050. At least I would have
    hoped they kept the 5050 on sale separately.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Shawn

    gr Guest

    "Paul D. Sullivan" <> wrote
    > Proprietary battery is one reason. I got 3 sets of way cheap AA
    > NiMH 1700mA that rock the house. In a pinch I can go to a
    > tourist shop and buy 4 standard AA batteries too.
    >
    > Also, I really like the fast 1.8 lens. Lets in more light and
    > allows me to take better night and poor-light shots. It really
    > helps with indoor stuff too. No need to use the flash in some
    > cases at all, meaning I get no "flash" reaction from the folks in
    > the room.
    >
    > Just a personal opinion is all. I think Olympus stepped
    > backwards with the 5060 from the 5050. At least I would have
    > hoped they kept the 5050 on sale separately.

    Agreed. It has some nice features like the 27mm wide-angle lens, but that
    can't make up for the slower lens IMO. I suppose if you did mostly landscape
    photography, the C5060 would be a better choice.

    gr, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Shawn

    gr Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote
    > "gr" <> wrote in message
    > > "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote
    > > >
    > > > The Canon G5 makes worse pictures than the G3, as they
    > > > try to squeeze too many pixels into the small size.

    > > And they're both plastic junk.
    > >
    > > The Oly C5050 or C5060 is a much better 5mp camera.
    > >

    > The Canons will last just as long as the Oly. What makes Oly "better"?

    Metal body, better macro, faster lens (5050), standard AA batteries (5050),
    better color rendition, better interface, more features. Oh, and the G3/G5
    are ugly as hell, but that's just a personal opinion.

    gr, Jan 13, 2004
  12. Shawn

    SD Guest

    dirtycow wrote:
    >>I'm looking for suggestions for a 5 megapixel camera that I could use
    >>under a variety of conditions. I'm not a professional photographer --
    >>not even a serious enough amateur to know all about changing every
    >>setting for that perfect shot -- but I do like to take nice photos
    >>when I'm on vacation, at parties and so on that I can print on
    >>photo-quality paper to hang up in my home, etc. If it gives you any
    >>sense of what I'm used to, I used to have a Sony DSC-S85, which I
    >>liked (except that low-light photos didn't seem to turn out so well).
    >>I'd appreciate any recommendations you folks might be able to make.

    > <a few off the top of my head - bear in mind ive not used any of them>
    >
    > - Canon Powershot G5
    > - Nikon Coolpix 5400
    > - Sony DSC-V1
    > - Pentax Optio 555
    > - FujiFilm S7000 (6.3 megapixels, but roughly same price as above)
    > - Nikon Coolpix 5700 (might be too expensive)

    Let me add Minolta Dimage f300

    SD, Jan 13, 2004
  13. Shawn

    SD Guest

    Paul Riemerman wrote:

    > If you frame tightly, a 3 megapixel camera should do what you want at a
    > lower cost. It will give you a nice, sharp 8 x 10 print, providing you don't
    > do any enlargements and stay away from digital zooming.
    >
    > A good 5 megapixel camera can be quite expensive. If you do want 5
    > megapixels, the Canon S50, S400 and G5 are three possibles.

    Canon is not the only brand out there. For the price of a 4mp canon, you
    could get a 5MP Minolta, Pentax, Fuji or some such..

    SD, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Shawn

    John Horner Guest

    After doing a great deal of research and using several of the possible
    cameras I choose the Olympus C-5060 and am completely satisfied with my
    choice.

    John

    John Horner, Jan 13, 2004
  15. On 2004-01-13, gr <> wrote:
    > "Mark B." <> wrote
    >> "gr" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote

    >> > And they're both plastic junk.
    >> >
    >> > The Oly C5050 or C5060 is a much better 5mp camera.
    >> >

    >> The Canons will last just as long as the Oly. What makes Oly "better"?

    > Metal body, better macro, faster lens (5050), standard AA batteries (5050),
    > better color rendition, better interface, more features. Oh, and the G3/G5
    > are ugly as hell, but that's just a personal opinion.

    Hey, you are advertising Nikon (apart from the battery thing, but 3rd party
    batteries are cheap these days). And I admin, Nikon UI is not perfect.

    Povl
    Owner of Canon EOS 300D + Nikon Coolpix 2500
    Former owner of a few others.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 13, 2004
  16. Shawn

    gr Guest

    "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote

    > >> The Canons will last just as long as the Oly. What makes Oly "better"?

    > > Metal body, better macro, faster lens (5050), standard AA batteries

    (5050),
    > > better color rendition, better interface, more features. Oh, and the

    G3/G5
    > > are ugly as hell, but that's just a personal opinion.

    > Hey, you are advertising Nikon (apart from the battery thing, but 3rd

    party
    > batteries are cheap these days). And I admin, Nikon UI is not perfect.

    But Nikon lacks the best feature that Olympus cameras have: pixel mapping.
    (Actually, I think there's a PC software hack for some Nikon models, but
    it's not easy or supported.)

    gr, Jan 13, 2004
  17. > But Nikon lacks the best feature that Olympus cameras have: pixel
    mapping.
    > (Actually, I think there's a PC software hack for some Nikon models, but
    > it's not easy or supported.)

    Just plugged my 5700 into the PC and pressed "Go" on the software. Not at
    all difficult.

    But, yes unsupported, and really should be hidden somewhere in the
    advanced setup menus....

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 13, 2004
  18. Shawn

    Mark B. Guest

    "gr" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark B." <> wrote
    > > "gr" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote

    > > > And they're both plastic junk.
    > > >
    > > > The Oly C5050 or C5060 is a much better 5mp camera.
    > > >

    > > The Canons will last just as long as the Oly. What makes Oly "better"?

    > Metal body,

    Not necessarily better. Heavier and easier to dent.

    > better macro, faster lens (5050)

    I'll give you that.

    >, standard AA batteries (5050),

    The Canon batteries have great life, and there are plenty of after market
    manufacturers that obselence will never be a problem, particularly since
    Canon uses it in so many of their other digicams and camcorders.

    > better color rendition, better interface

    Personal opinion.

    >, more features

    such as?

    .. Oh, and the G3/G5
    > are ugly as hell, but that's just a personal opinion.

    Yes, it is.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 14, 2004
  19. Shawn

    JoeInArizona Guest

    > For the price of a 4mp canon, you could get a 5MP Minolta, Pentax, Fuji
    > or some such..

    Dell sells the canon S50 5mp for $325 on occasion. What is a better deal
    than that?

    http://www.techbargains.com/

    New Dell Acc Sale - Stackable Coupon, Jan 13

    Dell Home Software & Peripherals has 10% off almost all Software and
    Peripherals. Free shipping $49+, no tax in many areas.

    Stackable (combinable with other discounts) $35 off $450 coupon code:
    2802D01F665A Exp 11pm CT 1/13 (excluding the Dell Axim, Dell Ink, Dell
    Projectors)

    Digital Cameras

    Canon S400 Compact 4Mpixel $449 - 10% - $35 coupon: 2802D01F665A = $369
    shipped free. Pass $450

    Sony DSC-P32 3.2Mpixel $199 - 10% = $180 shipped free.

    Nikon Coolpix 4300 4Mpixel $399 - 10% - $35 coupon = $325 shipped free.
    Pass $450

    Kodak Easyshare DX6440 4Mpixel $399 - 10% - $35 = $325 shipped free. Pass
    $450

    Olympus Stylus 400 4Mpixel $399 - 10% - $35 Coupon - $40 rebate (Exp 1/17)
    = $285 shipped free. Pass $450

    Casio Exilim EX-Z4U Compact 4Mpixel $399 - 10% - $35 = $325 shipped free.
    Pass $450

    Minolta Dimage G500 5Mpixel $399 - 10% - $35 = $325 shipped free. Pass
    $450

    Sony DSC-P10 5Mpixel $449 - 10% - $35 - $50 rebate = $324 shipped free.
    Pass $450

    Canon Powershot S50 5Mpixel compact digital camera $399 - 10% - $35 = $324
    shipped free.

    Olympus Camedia C50 5Mpixel compact digital camera $499 - 10% - $35 = $414
    shipped free.

    Sony DSC-V1 5Mpixel digital camera $599 - 10% - $35 = $504 shipped free.

    Olympus C-5050 5.2 Mpixel Digital Camera $699 - 10% - $35 = $594 shipped
    free.

    JoeInArizona, Jan 14, 2004
  20. > I'm looking for suggestions for a 5 megapixel camera that I could use
    > under a variety of conditions. I'm not a professional photographer --
    > not even a serious enough amateur to know all about changing every
    > setting for that perfect shot -- but I do like to take nice photos
    > when I'm on vacation, at parties and so on that I can print on
    > photo-quality paper to hang up in my home, etc. If it gives you any
    > sense of what I'm used to, I used to have a Sony DSC-S85, which I
    > liked (except that low-light photos didn't seem to turn out so well).
    > I'd appreciate any recommendations you folks might be able to make.

    I own an Olympus 5050 and don't think I could have made a better choice
    (unless I wanted to haul around all the stuff associated with a DSLR).
    Forget about the various specs; the 5050 is simply one of those rare cameras
    that always *gets the picture.* I've owned a number of digital cameras, but
    my two favorites would have to be the older Oly 3000 and Oly 5050. If you
    have the camera even approximately pointed in the right direction, you've
    got the shot. Just something really intuitive about them.

    The best camera isn't the one with the "perfect" specifications (whatever
    those are). The best camera is the one that feels natural to you, that
    seems like it's going to be fun to use. The one you never leave behind
    because you're worried there might be something you'd want to take a picture
    of. That camera might be a Pentax, or a Sony, or a Canon...who knows? In
    my case, it happens to be an Olympus 5050. Your mileage may vary.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Jan 14, 2004