    1. Advertising

  2. - Bobb -

    Paul Drahn Guest

    Paul Drahn, Jan 2, 2012

  3. - Bobb -

    meagain Guest

    Paul Drahn wrote:
    > On 1/2/2012 5:50 AM, - Bobb - wrote:
    >> http://www.retronaut.co/2011/12/5mb-hard-disk-drive-1956/
    >>

    > Actually, it was a "drum drive". No actual disks.
    > Paul

    One of the first commercial drum drives had two HUGE
    "FasTran" (?) disks about four feet long and a foot in diameter!

    meagain, Jan 3, 2012
  4. - Bobb -

    Paul Drahn Guest

    On 1/2/2012 4:17 PM, meagain wrote:
    > Paul Drahn wrote:
    >> On 1/2/2012 5:50 AM, - Bobb - wrote:
    >>> http://www.retronaut.co/2011/12/5mb-hard-disk-drive-1956/
    >>>

    >> Actually, it was a "drum drive". No actual disks.
    >> Paul

    > One of the first commercial drum drives had two HUGE
    > "FasTran" (?) disks about four feet long and a foot in diameter!

    when I first got involved with the Burroughs medium system hardware,
    about 1976-77, they used head-per-track drum memory. There was no
    seek-time, but was sure slow. Later we also got a second, faster
    head-per-track drum, but it had, I think, 16 heads positioned around
    each track. That was as fast as the ram memory access.

    Paul

    Paul Drahn, Jan 3, 2012