    as shooting RAW and converting that, etc.

    Thanks.

    oj

    oj, Oct 12, 2005

  2. On 12 Oct 2005 13:39:23 -0700, "oj" <> wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    >If I had the Canon 5d, and Photoshop CS, what would my expected
    >workflow be on getting it out of the camera to final on disk? As far
    >as shooting RAW and converting that, etc.

    The same as it would be for any other RAW work flow but on the Final
    step is the print not "on disk".

    If you have to ask this question, you need to learn a lot more about
    digital photography before getting a 5D.

    By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
    order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.

    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Oct 12, 2005

  3. oj

    Lance Guest

    Read 'Real World Digital Raw' book. Covers a lot on workflow .

    Lance, Oct 12, 2005
  4. oj

    oj Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:

    > By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
    > order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
    > > -James Nachtwey-

    > http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
    upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
    see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
    dropping 3k.

    oj

    oj, Oct 12, 2005
  5. On 12 Oct 2005 14:14:33 -0700, "oj" <> wrote:

    >John A. Stovall wrote:
    >>
    >> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
    >> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
    >>
    >> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
    >> > -James Nachtwey-

    >> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    >Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
    >upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
    >see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
    >dropping 3k.

    You should have done your homework before buying it.

    I know I did but then I also keep my photoshop current.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Oct 12, 2005
  6. oj

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    oj <> wrote:

    >John A. Stovall wrote:
    >>
    >> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
    >> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
    >>
    >> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
    >> > -James Nachtwey-

    >> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    >Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
    >upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files?

    No. There are two options:

    1) Use Canon's DPP as your RAW convertor (slow) with its "Transfer to
    Photoshop" option. Works with CS.

    2) Use Adobe DNG (free download) to convert the .CR2 files to .DNG. These
    will load into CS via Adobe Camera Raw.

    I am using CS and a 5D, and use both of these procedures.

    Chris Brown, Oct 12, 2005
  7. oj

    oj Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:
    > On 12 Oct 2005 14:14:33 -0700, "oj" <> wrote:
    >

    > >John A. Stovall wrote:
    > >>
    > >> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
    > >> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
    > >> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    > >Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
    > >upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
    > >see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
    > >dropping 3k.

    > You should have done your homework before buying it.

    Ummm, I didn't. I'm doing my homework before I buy it. Thanks for the
    tip.

    oj

    oj, Oct 13, 2005
  8. oj

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "oj" <> wrote in message

    > John A. Stovall wrote:
    > >
    > > By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
    > > order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
    > >
    > > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
    > > > -James Nachtwey-

    > > http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    > Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
    > upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
    > see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
    > dropping 3k.
    >
    > oj

    LOL, working with raw files is not going to be a surprise to anyone buying
    this camera. You can shoot jpeg if you want though.

    Dirty Harry, Oct 13, 2005
  9. oj

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > oj <> wrote:
    > >
    > >John A. Stovall wrote:
    > >>
    > >> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
    > >> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
    > >> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    > >Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
    > >upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files?

    > No. There are two options:
    >
    > 1) Use Canon's DPP as your RAW convertor (slow) with its "Transfer to
    > Photoshop" option. Works with CS.
    >
    > 2) Use Adobe DNG (free download) to convert the .CR2 files to .DNG. These
    > will load into CS via Adobe Camera Raw.
    >
    > I am using CS and a 5D, and use both of these procedures.

    1)*You can also use the EOS file viewer util which is better then dpp for
    fast workflow and pretty much as powerful. Go from raw to 8 or 16 bit tiff
    after you have made your raw tweaks like WB, sharpness, color saturation
    etc...

    Dirty Harry, Oct 13, 2005