    any reasonably verified rumors for a replacement for the canon 5d?

    steve

    , Nov 28, 2007

  2. Pete D Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > any reasonably verified rumors for a replacement for the canon 5d?
    >
    > steve

    Is yours worn out?

    Pete D, Nov 28, 2007

  3. Ali Guest

    Canon are very, very secretive when it comes to new model information and
    release dates. You won't get any information until they decide to launch
    the press release. Occasionally, you may get a bit of pre info, but we are
    only talking days, if that. The best you can do is look at previous trends
    and guess, however as the 5D has no predecessor, you can't really do that.
    There was 2 years between the 1Ds and 1Ds Mk II, but 3 years between the 1Ds
    Mk II and the 1Ds Mk III

    The old 5D was launched in August 2005, so is due a replacement, but could
    be anytime between now and August 2008. I'm thinking maybe February 2008 as
    my guess.

    Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
    4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3" LCD,
    self cleaning sensor...

    Ali, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Ali wrote:

    > Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
    > 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
    > LCD, self cleaning sensor...

    With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
    next generation 5D.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 28, 2007
  5. Douglas Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Ali wrote:
    >
    >> Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
    >> 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
    >> LCD, self cleaning sensor...

    > With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
    > next generation 5D.
    >

    > Rita

    Hey Rita... Have you made a decision about buying a D3 yet?
    It doesn't look like I'll get mine until February at the earliest! Pretty
    poor PR when you have to wait 6 months after the announcement to get one. I
    guess I should be content to know the price is firm!

    Douglas

    Douglas, Nov 28, 2007
  6. frederick Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Ali wrote:
    >
    >> Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
    >> 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
    >> LCD, self cleaning sensor...

    > With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy
    > the next generation 5D.

    Perhaps there is...
    If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
    developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount
    adapter that will adjust "G" lenses.

    frederick, Nov 28, 2007
  7. Douglas wrote:

    > Hey Rita... Have you made a decision about buying a D3 yet?
    > It doesn't look like I'll get mine until February at the earliest!
    > Pretty poor PR when you have to wait 6 months after the announcement
    > to get one. I guess I should be content to know the price is firm!

    Yep, and a Formidable 500/4 as well. These wait lists suck.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 28, 2007
  8. george Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    >> Ali wrote:
    >>
    >>> Also (as another guess), I'm expecting more frames per second (maybe
    >>> 4-5fps), ISO 6400, Live view, Digic III processor, 14-bit images, 3"
    >>> LCD, self cleaning sensor...

    >> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
    >> next generation 5D.
    >>

    > Perhaps there is...
    > If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
    > developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount adapter
    > that will adjust "G" lenses.

    I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
    had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon that
    goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
    equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
    double the price.

    george, Nov 29, 2007
  9. frederick Guest

    george wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    >>> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
    >>> next generation 5D.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps there is...
    >> If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
    >> developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount adapter
    >> that will adjust "G" lenses.

    > I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
    > had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon that
    > goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
    > equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
    > double the price.

    What's vapourware about the D3?
    I was holding one today - it seemed real.
    But the price is good only if you really need the features.
    I'm also tempted by the 5d low prices.

    frederick, Nov 29, 2007
  10. Paul J Gans Guest

    george <> wrote:

    >"frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> Rita ? Berkowitz wrote:

    >>> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy the
    >>> next generation 5D.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps there is...
    >> If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
    >> developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount adapter
    >> that will adjust "G" lenses.

    >I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
    >had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon that
    >goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
    >equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
    >double the price.

    That kind of thing brings on competition that might well ruin
    both Canon and Nikon. The idea is to keep the brands separate.
    Canon does NOT want you using Nikon lenses (or bodies) and Nikon
    does not want you to use Canon lenses (or bodies).

    If everything becomes too interchangable, then they can only
    compete on price -- and there goes the ball game.

    So they compete, *system* against *system*. And both are good
    systems.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Nov 29, 2007
  11. Douglas Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > george wrote:
    >> "frederick" <> wrote in message

    >>> Perhaps there is...
    >>> If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who has
    >>> developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount
    >>> adapter that will adjust "G" lenses.

    >> I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
    >> had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon
    >> that goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
    >> equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
    >> double the price.

    > What's vapourware about the D3?
    > I was holding one today - it seemed real.
    > But the price is good only if you really need the features.
    > I'm also tempted by the 5d low prices.

    The only compelling reason to buy another Canon body would be if you can't
    afford replacement glass and speedlites. I'm lucky in that regard. I took
    Rita's advice a few months ago and bought a Nikon speedlite for my 20D.
    After using it for a few weeks I bought SB800's for all my cameras so I
    don't have that problem any more.

    I've got a few lenses with Canon mounts I don't use all that much and I've
    got some Olympus stuff I've been selling off to pay for a few good lenses to
    complement the one I use on my s5. I managed to fund the new D3 entirely
    from selling off gear I no longer need. When I've finished the sell off,
    I'll end up with mostly Nikon mount stuff and a decent kit of lenses for
    them. If I'm lucky, I might need to spend a grand tops and finally be rid of
    the pain in the butt Canons that can't get skin colour right... Ever!

    Douglas

    Douglas, Nov 29, 2007
  12. frederick wrote:

    >> With the release of the Nikon D3 there is absolutely no reason to buy
    >> the next generation 5D.
    >>

    > Perhaps there is...
    > If you search the Canon forums on DPReview, there's a guy there who
    > has developed and will soon be offering commercially an EOS to F mount
    > adapter that will adjust "G" lenses.

    It would be a sweet thing if it were true, at least for diehard Canon
    shooters. At this point in the game Nikon has finally taken the lead in
    high ISO performance. Nikon has always been the world leader in superior
    quality lenses. Combining Nikon's new bodies with their superior lenses and
    there's nothing that can come close to matching the performance.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 29, 2007
  13. wrote:
    > any reasonably verified rumors for a replacement for the canon 5d?
    >
    > steve

    No verified rumors, but rumors with some basis suggest an announcement
    at PMA.

    Nikon will likely also have another two full frame entries announced at
    PMA (though if history is any indication, the ship dates will be rather
    far past PMA), one lower-end, aimed at the 5D, and one higher end aimed
    at the EOS-1Ds Mark III.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 29, 2007
  14. George Kerby Guest

    On 11/29/07 4:07 AM, in article , "Rita Ä

    George Kerby, Nov 29, 2007
  15. Ali Guest

    Hello Rita.

    Mmm. What's the cost of a D3 compared to a 5D?

    Ali, Nov 29, 2007
  16. Scott W Guest

    Douglas wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> george wrote:
    >>> "frederick" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've actually been amazed that Canon hasn't made one themselves. If they
    >>> had, I would already own a 5D instead of still waiting for a FF Nikon
    >>> that goes down to ISO 50 or so and costs what the 5D does... A Nikon "5D
    >>> equivalent" would suit my shooting better than the still vaporware D3 at
    >>> double the price.

    >> What's vapourware about the D3?
    >> I was holding one today - it seemed real.
    >> But the price is good only if you really need the features.
    >> I'm also tempted by the 5d low prices.

    > The only compelling reason to buy another Canon body would be if you can't
    > afford replacement glass and speedlites. I'm lucky in that regard. I took
    > Rita's advice a few months ago and bought a Nikon speedlite for my 20D.
    > After using it for a few weeks I bought SB800's for all my cameras so I
    > don't have that problem any more.
    >
    > I've got a few lenses with Canon mounts I don't use all that much and I've
    > got some Olympus stuff I've been selling off to pay for a few good lenses to
    > complement the one I use on my s5. I managed to fund the new D3 entirely
    > from selling off gear I no longer need. When I've finished the sell off,
    > I'll end up with mostly Nikon mount stuff and a decent kit of lenses for
    > them. If I'm lucky, I might need to spend a grand tops and finally be rid of
    > the pain in the butt Canons that can't get skin colour right... Ever!

    I well be waiting to see how long it is before you start complaining
    that your Nikon can't get anything right.

    I don't really believe there is a large difference between the Nikon
    cameras and the Canon and since I have Canon glass I will stick with it.
    Of course if I was using cheap Sigma lenses, like some people,
    changing and buying more cheap glass would not be much of an issue.

    If I had Nikon glass when I bought my first DSLR I would have gone with
    a Nikon camera.

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 29, 2007
  17. Ali wrote:

    > Mmm. What's the cost of a D3 compared to a 5D?

    Severly underpriced compared to what the 5D and its replacement can deliver.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 29, 2007
  18. Ali Guest

    Shouldn't that say over twice as much?

    Ali, Nov 30, 2007
  19. Ali wrote:

    > Shouldn't that say over twice as much?

    Another way of looking at this is you are getting twenty times the camera
    with the D3 for twice the price. It sounds like a sweet bargain to me. The
    5d is a hobbyist's camera and is one step up from a toy. If you want to
    stick with canon the only choice you have is the Mighty Mk III.

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 30, 2007
  20. Ali Guest

    Of course a Mighty Mk III would be good, if I wasn't a hobbyist.

    Just out of interest, what full frame 'toys' do Nikon offer hobbyists?

    Ali, Dec 1, 2007