    Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    now, no?

    Dirty Harry, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Dirty Harry wrote:
    > Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I
    > try and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the
    > shitter now, no?

    Take it easy, grab a deep breath, and ask yourself:

    1) Are you happy with the lens?

    1A. If yes: keep it. Then ask yourself 2)Are you happy with your camera on
    which the lens fits?
    2A. If yes: keep it.
    2B. If not: Sell the lot.

    1B. If not: sell it.

    Why would the value "go down the shitter" because of camera that is not even
    here yet?

    Sounds like a severe attack of panical photo fetischism.

    Claus P. Hastrup, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Dirty Harry

    wilt Guest

    And why would it go 'down the shitter' if there are thousands of 1.6
    crop camera that will remain in use for a long time (not everyone is
    'FF happy' and suffering the loss inherent to selling and buying a
    not-yet announced camera!)

    wilt, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Dirty Harry

    Mike Berger Guest

    Yes, but I'll take it off your hands so you won't have to worry about
    it. How about $ 60 before the price drops even further?

    Mike Berger, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Dirty Harry

    RON Guest

    Ok now you have me scared. I have just bought a Canon 20D with the kit lens
    ( EF-S 18-55 MM ) . I am thinking of buying the following two lens.

    ( 1 ) Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens .

    (2 ) Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus
    Lens

    As you can see this a heavy investment and makes me wonder if I can use the
    lenses on the 5D if and when it comes out.
    Any input would be helpful

    Thanks
    Ron.

    RON, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Dirty Harry wrote:
    > Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    > and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    > now, no?

    Not likely. And, it'll still do what it does now, when, if and as the
    newer cameras are released.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Dirty Harry

    Brian Guest

    I think only the EF-S lenses would be unusable on the 5d, based on the
    specs - if all the EF-S lenses became worthless (unlikely) you would
    only have to throw away your kit lens. Someone else can correct me, I
    may be wrong, but that's my understanding at this point.

    Brian, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Dirty Harry

    Mark² Guest

    "Dirty Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    > and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    > now, no?

    Tried to warn ya...
    :(

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  9. Dirty Harry

    Mark² Guest

    > "Dirty Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    >> and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    >> now, no?

    > Tried to warn ya...
    > :(

    Camera bodies are here and gone...but lenses are forever (relatively
    speaking, of course), which is why I've been slowly building the dream lens
    system I'll want when full-frame becomes affordable (and here we go!).

    16-35 2.8 L
    24-70 2.8 L
    70-200 2.8 IS L
    1.4x
    2x
    100mm Macro
    50 1.4

    Selling: 28-135 (any takers?)
    Sold: 100-400 IS (sort of wish I had it back...)
    Gave away: 75-300 IS (to my dad)

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  10. Dirty Harry

    Mark² Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Dirty Harry wrote:
    >> Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    >> and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    >> now, no?

    > Not likely. And, it'll still do what it does now, when, if and as the
    > newer cameras are released.

    True...assuming Canon continues the 1.6 crop line of bodies. So far, they
    are indicating that this is their plan.
    It looks like we'll soon have only full frame and 1.6.

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  11. Dirty Harry

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    "Dirty Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    > and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    > now, no?

    Nope. That's a nice lens, and even after the 5D and other lenses appear, the
    20D is still a very nice camera due to it's smaller size and lighter weight.
    It's also faster...

    Don't panic, since most people will stay with the smaller sensor cameras
    since the cost if much, much lower. Not everyone wants to spend over $3500
    for a camera, and another $1000+ for a lens. I have a 20D, and plan to get a
    5D, and have no plans whatsoever to sell either the 20D or the 2 EF-S lenses
    I own.

    Kinon O'cann, Aug 17, 2005
  12. Dirty Harry

    Skip M Guest

    "Dirty Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    > and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    > now, no?

    No, because Canon will continue to build 1.6x bodies for the time being.
    Canon execs have said that they envision a two tiered digital camera line,
    1.6x and full frame.
    For crying out loud, you're in a panic because a $3500 dollar camera may be
    coming to market. It will not affect sales of the sub 1K Rebels, nor will
    it affect greatly the sales of the $1500 20D and its successor.
    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Aug 17, 2005
  13. Dirty Harry

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <6UuMe.1116$sw6.576@fed1read05>,
    says...
    > "Dirty Harry" <> wrote in message
    > > Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I try
    > > and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the shitter
    > > now, no?
    > >

    > No, because Canon will continue to build 1.6x bodies for the time being.
    > Canon execs have said that they envision a two tiered digital camera line,
    > 1.6x and full frame.
    > For crying out loud, you're in a panic because a $3500 dollar camera may be
    > coming to market. It will not affect sales of the sub 1K Rebels, nor will
    > it affect greatly the sales of the $1500 20D and its successor.

    While I think full-frame might make a larger presence in the market, I
    feel cropped sensors will always be around because they are a lot
    cheaper to make. We'll see 8 megapixel DSLRs going to $350 one of these
    days, and they certainly are going to be 1.5x or 1.6x sensors.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

    Brian Baird, Aug 17, 2005
  14. Dirty Harry

    Darrell Guest

    "Name Deleted" wrote in message
    > Dirty Harry wrote:
    >> Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I
    >> try and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the
    >> shitter now, no?

    Sounds like a measurebator! Suddenly all my toys are crap because of a maybe
    camera coming out sometime in the future. These are the people Canon's
    marketing people love. They proclaim "Thou must buy a new dSLR every
    year..." Hell Canon is still trying to get the bugs worked out of the 20D...

    MicroSoft would be proud!

    Darrell, Aug 17, 2005
  15. Dirty Harry

    Darrell Guest

    "RON" <> wrote in message
    > Ok now you have me scared. I have just bought a Canon 20D with the kit
    > lens ( EF-S 18-55 MM ) . I am thinking of buying the following two lens.
    >
    > ( 1 ) Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens .
    >
    > (2 ) Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus
    > Lens
    >
    > As you can see this a heavy investment and makes me wonder if I can use
    > the lenses on the 5D if and when it comes out.
    > Any input would be helpful

    Both lenses you mention are "L" lenses, so they will cover 24x36mm (film or
    FF dSLR)

    Darrell, Aug 17, 2005
  16. Dirty Harry

    Darrell Guest

    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> Dirty Harry wrote:
    >>> Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I
    >>> try
    >>> and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the
    >>> shitter
    >>> now, no?

    >> Not likely. And, it'll still do what it does now, when, if and as the
    >> newer cameras are released.

    > True...assuming Canon continues the 1.6 crop line of bodies. So far, they
    > are indicating that this is their plan.
    > It looks like we'll soon have only full frame and 1.6.

    I figured the 1.3X FOV was on the way out. It really made no sense making 3
    sizes..

    Darrell, Aug 17, 2005
  17. Dirty Harry

    Mark² Guest

    "Darrell" <> wrote in message

    > "Name Deleted" wrote in message
    >> Dirty Harry wrote:
    >>> Hmm glad I just spent 600 bucks on this efs 17-85 IS...not. Should I
    >>> try and dump it off asap...the value is going to go straight down the
    >>> shitter now, no?

    > Sounds like a measurebator! Suddenly all my toys are crap because of a
    > maybe camera coming out sometime in the future. These are the people
    > Canon's marketing people love. They proclaim "Thou must buy a new dSLR
    > every year..." Hell Canon is still trying to get the bugs worked out of
    > the 20D...
    >
    > MicroSoft would be proud!

    I might agree with you in other cases, but I think this camera is diferent.
    Many folks have wished for an affordable full frame for a LONG time--myself
    included.
    Others have wished for pixel counts that would allow less reliance on
    stitching (me too) of large scenics. I didn't upgrade my D30 until it was
    utterly destroyed.
    -See this lovely evidence:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/37396350
    :)
    I haven't upgraded my 10D, as I've been waiting until I could afford at
    *least* double the res, and *hoped* for a full frame so that my 16-35
    behaved like a proper ultra-wide. Instead, I've built a lens system that
    will thrive on an eventual full-frame body.

    I know I'm only one sample...but I am certain there are many people like me
    for whom the 5D makes a great deal of sense.

    Mark

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  18. Dirty Harry

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Ron writes ...
    >
    >I have just bought a Canon 20D with the kit lens
    >( EF-S 18-55 MM ) .

    This is an EF-S lens, which only works on some 1.6x crop sensor size
    bodies.

    >I am thinking of buying the following two lens.
    >( 1 ) Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens .
    >(2 ) Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM
    >Autofocus Lens
    > ... makes me wonder if I can use the
    >lenses on the 5D if and when it comes out.

    Yes, these are great lenses and will work on all the EOS film bodies
    and all the digital bodies. It's just the EF-S lenses that are limited
    to small sensors. Good choice of lenses btw.

    Bill Hilton, Aug 17, 2005
  19. "Brian Baird" <> wrote:

    > While I think full-frame might make a larger presence in the market, I
    > feel cropped sensors will always be around because they are a lot
    > cheaper to make. We'll see 8 megapixel DSLRs going to $350 one of these
    > days, and they certainly are going to be 1.5x or 1.6x sensors.

    Also, (1) 8MP is as good as (ISO 100) or better than (ISO 200 and above)
    35mm film, and 35mm film has been good enough for the vast majority of 20th
    century photography, and (2) the boost you get on your telephotos is
    appreciated by the vast majority of amateur photographers.

    There's really no need for full frame or more than 8MP unless one has
    pretensions at competing with the MF types in the art galleries, or at least
    producing prints of that caliber. For the vast majority of uses, 8MP is
    fine.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 17, 2005
  20. Dirty Harry

    Mark² Guest

    > "Brian Baird" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> While I think full-frame might make a larger presence in the market, I
    >> feel cropped sensors will always be around because they are a lot
    >> cheaper to make. We'll see 8 megapixel DSLRs going to $350 one of these
    >> days, and they certainly are going to be 1.5x or 1.6x sensors.

    > Also, (1) 8MP is as good as (ISO 100) or better than (ISO 200 and above)
    > 35mm film, and 35mm film has been good enough for the vast majority of
    > 20th century photography, and (2) the boost you get on your telephotos is
    > appreciated by the vast majority of amateur photographers.
    >
    > There's really no need for full frame or more than 8MP

    That is, of course, assumes that all shots are framed perfectly, and fit
    their intended, final form so that no cropping is ever necessary. I would
    *love* the ability to significantly crop an image...and STILL have 8MP left
    to work with. A 12.8MP sensor offers this very real option. It becomes
    even more useful given that it's full-frame, and is therefore NOT simply
    cramming more MPs into the same small space (which would lead to increased
    noise, etc.).

    >unless one has pretensions at competing with the MF types in the art
    >galleries, or at least producing prints of that caliber. For the vast
    >majority of uses, 8MP is fine.

    Many of us DO have "pretensions" of this calibre.
    Whether pretensions and...results...match up at any point is another matter
    entirely.
    :)

    Mark², Aug 17, 2005