    I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I do
    sometimes but not always).

    Gumpy

    gumpy, Apr 7, 2004

  2. gumpy

    Palindrome Guest

    gumpy wrote:

    > I don't know what I have done now but I cannot disconnect from the
    > internet nor can I bring up properties.
    > Accessories\communicationsznetwork etc shows both my connections as
    > disconnected despite my presently being half way through a download.
    > The only way I can disconnect at present is to sewitch off the modem
    > -(not good).
    > I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I do
    > sometimes but not always).
    >

    > Gumpy

    Nothing wrong with switching off an external modem. It is quite an
    effective way of dropping carrier detect. Another way is to unplug the
    telephone lead - which also protects the modem and computer from
    lightning strikes on the telephone wires.

    Both connections? Which are? Is this XP? Not Broadband, I assume? All
    your AV stuff up to date? Sure it is dialing your ISP and not a premium
    rate number? Tried de-installing and re-installing the modem? Tried
    deleting and recreating your dialup settings?

    Palindrome, Apr 7, 2004

  3. gumpy

    Scrote Guest

    gumpy wrote:
    >> I don't know what I have done now but I cannot disconnect from the
    >> internet nor can I bring up properties.
    >> Accessories\communicationsznetwork etc shows both my connections as
    >> disconnected despite my presently being half way through a download.
    >> The only way I can disconnect at present is to sewitch off the modem
    >> -(not good).
    >> I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I
    >> do sometimes but not always).
    >>

    >> Gumpy

    Got a friend who had this problem..dialer installed a premium rate
    number = £200 bill :-(
    You need (courtesy of Mike)

    Spybot S & D

    http://spybot.eon.net.au/

    Ad-Aware

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spywareblaster

    I used to be indecisive but now, I'm not so sure.

    Scrote, Apr 7, 2004
  4. gumpy

    Millimeter Guest

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:02:24 +0100, Palindrome <>
    wrote:

    >gumpy wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what I have done now but I cannot disconnect from the
    >> internet nor can I bring up properties.
    >> Accessories\communicationsznetwork etc shows both my connections as
    >> disconnected despite my presently being half way through a download.
    >> The only way I can disconnect at present is to sewitch off the modem
    >> -(not good).
    >> I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I do
    >> sometimes but not always).
    >>

    >> Gumpy

    >Nothing wrong with switching off an external modem. It is quite an
    >effective way of dropping carrier detect. Another way is to unplug the
    >telephone lead - which also protects the modem and computer from
    >lightning strikes on the telephone wires.

    Rude, but effective.
    Disconnecting the proper way allows the modem on the other end to exit
    gracefully. :)
    Millimeter

    Millimeter, Apr 7, 2004
  5. gumpy

    gumpy Guest

    Hi thanks for replying- regrettably my modem is a pig and when turned
    off ;like that it has to be reinstalled and rebooted before it will
    work again.
    I have checked against premium lines but I am on BT surftime
    (presently connected at 38.6 hahahahaha)!
    Spybot turned up nothing as did Adaware.
    I can only assume it is either a software or hardware problem.

    System is XP
    56k V92 Cirrus external (absolute pig)
    Dial up not broadband.

    anyone else for anymore?