    reporting 51kR. How can I tweak better numbers from my 56k? Is there a
    way to edit the registry to set the MTU, MSS, RWIN etc to improve DUN?

    Any and all help appreciated...
    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Tony Cianfaglione

    WormWood Guest

    This sounds familiar. Didn't you read the responses to your other post
    on this same matter?

    "Tony Cianfaglione" <> wrote in message
    ..ca...

    > I upgraded my internal modem from a USR33.6 to a Hayes 56k v90.

    I'm
    > running a P2-333/Win98SE setup. My 33.6 was connecting at

    28.8R/31.6T.
    > My 56k connects at 28.8R/28.8T. I can't figure out why my Transmit is
    > lower with the 56k than 33.6.
    >
    > My ISP says most of their other clients are averaging 44-49R with

    some

    WormWood, Aug 27, 2004

  3. I just got the 56k tonight. I never had one before.

    -------------------------------

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, it was written:

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 27, 2004
  4. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    26 Aug 2004 23:39:22 -0300, Tony Cianfaglione <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    > I upgraded my internal modem from a USR33.6 to a Hayes 56k v90. I'm
    >running a P2-333/Win98SE setup. My 33.6 was connecting at 28.8R/31.6T.
    >My 56k connects at 28.8R/28.8T. I can't figure out why my Transmit is
    >lower with the 56k than 33.6.
    >
    > My ISP says most of their other clients are averaging 44-49R with some
    >reporting 51kR. How can I tweak better numbers from my 56k? Is there a
    >way to edit the registry to set the MTU, MSS, RWIN etc to improve DUN?
    >
    >Any and all help appreciated...

    There are some major differences between your new modem and old modem
    that may acccount for the slower connectivity. The older 33.6 was more
    than likely a "hardware" modem and actually performed all the
    functions required to set up and maintain an analogue Internet
    connection on the card itself. The new modem is what is known as a
    "Win modem" and many of the functions that used to be performed on the
    old modem are now performed by software and your CPU. Win modems, when
    they first came out were frowned upon by a lot of users because they
    took up CPU cycles and actually had degraded service because of it.
    Since your CPU is actually pretty ancient and the new modem is
    optimized for a P3 and P4, this can cause some of the problems you are
    getting. Another problem is the V .90/.92 protocol tends to be more
    picky about the phone lines than the old V .34 bis protocol. The V.34
    protocol was much more stable and able to endure staticy phone lines
    than the v.90/.92 standard. Plus, if your phone connection has to go
    over 3 repeaters/boosters before it reaches your ISP, the V.90/.92
    modem will automatically fall back to the older 28.8 standard. So the
    answer to your question is you probably can't do much to improve your
    connection with this new modem. I guess you could start modem strings
    to change how the modem fucntions but usually (at least when I used to
    do tech support for dial up accounts) didn't do much except force the
    modem to function using the 33.6 protocol.
    My advice would be to get an external modem if you want to insist on
    trying to upgrade to a V.90 modem. The functionality is completely
    handled on the modem itself and they tend to be more stable than a
    cheap internal win modem. However, if the problem is with your phone
    lines, you still won't be able to connect any faster than 31.6.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...

    My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
    from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
    and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
    mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
    It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
    disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
    it didn't. :-(

    I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
    computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
    at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
    maybe not. :-(

    Thanks again for your help...

    -----------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 27, 2004
  6. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
    27 Aug 2004 02:28:43 -0300, Tony Cianfaglione <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...
    >
    >My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
    >from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
    >and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
    >mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
    >It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
    >disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
    >it didn't. :-(
    >
    >I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
    >computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
    >at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
    >maybe not. :-(
    >
    >Thanks again for your help...

    If that modem you have is an old K-Flex modem, you won't be able to
    connect faster than 28.8. The V.90 standard was established as a
    compromise to two competing standards in the late nineties, K-Flex
    (promoted by the Rockwell chipset, now Conexant) and X-2 (promoted by
    USROBOTICS and Texas Instruments chipsets.) If your ISP's equipment
    was originally set up to be the X-2 protocol and upgraded to the V.90
    protocol, then your modem will automically fall back to the 28.8
    standard. You're better off going back to your 36.6 modem. If you buy
    a new internal PCI based modem, you should be able to get one less
    than $15CAN or an external for less than $25CAN on the Internet.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Tony Cianfaglione

    c.reifert Guest

    > Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...
    >
    > My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
    > from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
    > and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
    > mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
    > It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
    > disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
    > it didn't. :-(
    >
    > I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
    > computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
    > at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
    > maybe not. :-(
    >
    > Thanks again for your help...

    I found one driver listed on driversguide.com that says:
    Company - Hayes
    Model - 5609 AM and most 22.8 and 33.6 legacy models
    OS - All and Win2000

    Just do a search on the site for Hayes under modems, then use the keyword
    5609.

    Will
    c.reifert, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Tony Cianfaglione

    xmp Guest

    Tony Cianfaglione wrote:

    > I upgraded my internal modem from a USR33.6 to a Hayes 56k v90. I'm
    > running a P2-333/Win98SE setup. My 33.6 was connecting at 28.8R/31.6T.
    > My 56k connects at 28.8R/28.8T. I can't figure out why my Transmit is
    > lower with the 56k than 33.6.
    >
    > My ISP says most of their other clients are averaging 44-49R with some
    > reporting 51kR. How can I tweak better numbers from my 56k? Is there a
    > way to edit the registry to set the MTU, MSS, RWIN etc to improve DUN?
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated...

    The TCP/IP settings are probably fine, but you can use DrTCP to change
    them. Check for line noise. USR used to have a test for this. Make
    sure port-to-modem speed is correct. Use the right drivers. Make sure
    you are dialing the right modem pool, esp if you have pre v.90 modem.
    I've noticed dialing v.90 number works better than v.92 for my setup.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Tony Cianfaglione

    xmp Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    >If you buy
    > a new internal PCI based modem, you should be able to get one less
    > than $15CAN or an external for less than $25CAN on the Internet.

    I've seen new v.90 (v.92?) externals for $15. That would take some
    burden off the computer. The one downside is the serial port is capped
    at 115kbps, which means there will be a brick wall at ~ 90 kbps. You
    will hit this wall on text downloads, which can be heavily compressed.

    I dunno how many software modems can exceed that figure anyway.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  10. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
    27 Aug 2004 05:49:56 GMT, "c.reifert" <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >"Tony Cianfaglione" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ok, some more data here. Digging out the modem from the computer...
    >>
    >> My old modem was a PnP USR33.6. The 'new' modem is actually old stock
    >> from a defunct store. Looking closer at it, I think it might be a KFlex
    >> and not v90. It's a hardware modem set to COM2. It has a tiny (and I do
    >> mean tiny) sticker on the inside flange that reads: Hayes 5609 AM v.34bis.
    >> It's an ISA card, not PCI. It, unfortunately, didn't come with an install
    >> disk so I was hoping Win98 would install a proper driver for it. I guess
    >> it didn't. :-(
    >>
    >> I know my phone line can handle 56k because when I set up a friend's
    >> computer a couple of years ago, his internal 56k would connect to his ISP
    >> at 49k Receive. I was hoping to duplicate that feat with this modem but
    >> maybe not. :-(
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your help...
    >>

    >I found one driver listed on driversguide.com that says:
    >Company - Hayes
    >Model - 5609 AM and most 22.8 and 33.6 legacy models
    >OS - All and Win2000
    >
    >Just do a search on the site for Hayes under modems, then use the keyword
    >5609.

    If the modem is a K-Flex and it hasn't been updated to V.90, the
    driver won't do anything to improve the connection speed. However, if
    the modem is a V.90 or can be flashed to the V,90 standard, he may be
    able to get better speeds.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 27, 2004
  11. Tony Cianfaglione

    xmp Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > If the modem is a K-Flex and it hasn't been updated to V.90, the
    > driver won't do anything to improve the connection speed. However, if
    > the modem is a V.90 or can be flashed to the V,90 standard, he may be
    > able to get better speeds.
    >
    > Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    In 2000, my ISP still had legacy pools that would handle X2 or K56flex.
    Trying different numbers may pay off.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  12. Thanks. I'll give it a go.

    -------------------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 28, 2004
  13. I only have 1 PCI slot on my computer and the video card is using it. I
    have 2 ISA slots - one holds my modem, the other one holds the sound card.
    I would need to find an ISA card. Thanks for the info.

    ----------------------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 28, 2004
  14. I've checked everything you suggested and it all looks good except for the
    driver which someone else said is on driversguide. I'll get that and see
    if it helps. Thanks.

    -----------------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 28, 2004
  15. That may be the way I'll have to go whereas I don't have any PCI slots
    free. Thanks.

    ----------------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 28, 2004
  16. Where or how would I get it 'flashed'?

    ---------------------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 28, 2004
  17. I haven't received a reply back from my ISP re: my query about which
    modems they're using.

    ----------------------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 28, 2004
  18. I've had no luck. Every search I did on driversguide says no results
    found. I've searched on hayes, 5609, modem, kflex, every option I could
    think of with still no results found. Would you happen to know the name
    of the file so I could search on that?

    ----------------------------

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 28, 2004
  19. Tony Cianfaglione

    xmp Guest

    Tony Cianfaglione wrote:

    > I've had no luck. Every search I did on driversguide says no results
    > found. I've searched on hayes, 5609, modem, kflex, every option I could
    > think of with still no results found. Would you happen to know the name
    > of the file so I could search on that?

    I always go to the manufacturer's site. The exception being if the
    company no longer exists.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 28, 2004
  20. Hayes is no longer around and the particular file isn't there. Someone
    sent me the actual name of the file and I was able to track it down on
    driversguide. Thanks to all.

    Tony Cianfaglione, Aug 30, 2004