    Canadian_eh! Guest

    Anyone tried getting an analog modem to work over VoIP services like
    Vonage?
    Canadian_eh!, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Hello,

    > Anyone tried getting an analog modem to work over VoIP services like
    > Vonage?

    Yes, I some time ago I was making SIP calls while being on the dialup
    modem (no DSL in the new apartment!). Should work as long as you are using
    g729/g723 codecs, are not browsing web at the same time and your ISP has a
    decent connectivity.

    WBR, Andrew
    --
    Andrew Zhilenko
    Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,
    Andrew Zhilenko, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Canadian_eh!

    Canadian_eh! Guest

    I actually mean trying to establish a dialup connection across a
    high-speed VoIP service. i.e. dial into a server or remote device
    across the Vonage virtual circuit instead of a land line.

    Canadian_eh!, Aug 10, 2004
  4. I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
    about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
    (no idea what the actual datarate is...)

    Fonality has a TiVo friendly mode, but I've not tried it yet.

    -jav

    Javier Henderson, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Canadian_eh!

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Javier Henderson wrote:

    > I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
    > about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
    > (no idea what the actual datarate is...)

    Is this while using *99?
    Isaiah Beard, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Isaiah Beard <> writes:

    > Javier Henderson wrote:
    >
    > > I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
    > > about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
    > > (no idea what the actual datarate is...)

    > Is this while using *99?

    I'm not sure what *99 does...

    -jav
    Javier Henderson, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Canadian_eh!

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Javier Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >> > I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
    >> > about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
    >> > (no idea what the actual datarate is...)

    >> Is this while using *99?

    >I'm not sure what *99 does...

    My understanding is that it tells Vonage to use the highest call quality
    option for this call only -- The idea being that it's needed for faxes
    or modem calls, but not strictly required for voice calls.

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig
    DevilsPGD, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Canadian_eh!

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Javier Henderson wrote:

    > Isaiah Beard <> writes:
    >

    >>Javier Henderson wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
    >>>about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
    >>>(no idea what the actual datarate is...)

    >>Is this while using *99?

    > I'm not sure what *99 does...

    It depends on your settings. If you've never played around with the
    "bandwidth saver" feature while looking at your account online, then it
    probably doesn't do anything. But if you have reduced the bandwidth
    setting from its default, then *99 forces the ATA to use a full 90kbps
    connection for that call.

    Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that Tivo even allows for dialing
    prefixes, but I could be wrong.
    Isaiah Beard, Aug 17, 2004
  9. DevilsPGD <> writes:

    > >> Is this while using *99?

    > >I'm not sure what *99 does...

    > My understanding is that it tells Vonage to use the highest call quality
    > option for this call only -- The idea being that it's needed for faxes
    > or modem calls, but not strictly required for voice calls.

    Good info to have. I'll try that and see if the success rate improves.

    -jav
    Javier Henderson, Aug 17, 2004