    gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
    the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    for!!!!!!
    Liam Parr, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Liam Parr

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Liam Parr said:

    > Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    > connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and it
    > gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
    > the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    > for!!!!!!

    When the motorway is busy, the traffic flows slowly.
    Brian H¹©, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Liam Parr

    Xeno Chauvin Guest

    "Liam Parr" <> wrote in message
    > Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    > connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and

    it
    > gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband

    because
    > the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    > for!!!!!!

    Don't know about the U.K. but here in Yankeeland the phone
    companies gives the following crap.
    1. You are too far from a phone junction/switch box.
    2. Your house wiring is too old.
    3. It's too hot
    4. It's too cold
    5. A bird was sitting on the wire
    6. Any other outlandish excuse you can think of.
    While distance and old wiring could alter the signal then WHY not all
    the time? .......usually no answer.
    So, I went cable!
    Xeno
    Xeno Chauvin, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Liam Parr

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Xeno Chauvin said:

    > "Liam Parr" <> wrote in message
    >> Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    >> connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and it
    >> gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
    >> the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    >> for!!!!!!

    > Don't know about the U.K. but here in Yankeeland the phone
    > companies gives the following crap.
    > 1. You are too far from a phone junction/switch box.
    > 2. Your house wiring is too old.
    > 3. It's too hot
    > 4. It's too cold
    > 5. A bird was sitting on the wire
    > 6. Any other outlandish excuse you can think of.
    > While distance and old wiring could alter the signal then WHY not all
    > the time? .......usually no answer.
    > So, I went cable!
    > Xeno

    Oh we have some corkers of excuses for train delays in the UK.
    Leaves on the line.
    The wrong kind of ice. :)
    Brian H¹©, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Liam Parr

    roach Guest

    back in the days of 56k lol
    i had similar probs
    cured it by unplugging every phone in the house

    roach, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Modems, yours and the one you are connecting to, negotiate a connection
    speed based on line quality. The lower the quality, the slower the speed.
    What affects line quality? Humidity, AC hum from high loads on ajacent
    powerlines anywhere along the phone line., bad or corroded connections in
    your house or theirs, high sunspot activity and evil spirits.

    --
    Windows IS a virus.

    Why do you have to wash a bath towel? Aren't you clean when you use it?

    "Liam Parr" <> wrote in message
    > Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    > connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and

    it
    > gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband

    because
    > the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    > for!!!!!!

    ---
    BananaPannaPoe-, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Brian H¹© wrote:
    >>>Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    >>>connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and it
    >>>gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
    >>>the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    >>>for!!!!!!

    >>Don't know about the U.K. but here in Yankeeland the phone
    >>companies gives the following crap.
    >>1. You are too far from a phone junction/switch box.
    >>2. Your house wiring is too old.
    >>3. It's too hot
    >>4. It's too cold
    >>5. A bird was sitting on the wire
    >>6. Any other outlandish excuse you can think of.
    >>While distance and old wiring could alter the signal then WHY not all
    >>the time? .......usually no answer.
    >>So, I went cable!
    >>Xeno

    > Oh we have some corkers of excuses for train delays in the UK.
    > Leaves on the line.
    > The wrong kind of ice. :)

    uh huh... well, ok.. Leaving "crap" answers aside....

    There's only 3 possible reasons for the odd speed you get:
    1) The User's computer / modem is faulty
    2) The communications medium is faulty (phone wire to TelCo)
    3) The Service's modem is faulty

    Working backwards....

    3) If BY was having modem issues, they would know it - LOTS of people
    would be calling to complain, and you would have long phone queues on
    Tech Support... Since this doesn't happen often and is usually addressed
    quickly (mind you, I said USUALLY)....

    2) The communication medium (phone line) COULD have interference. You
    can use a standard Terminal communications program (Hyperterminal) to
    have the modem dial into BY. While connected watch the screen - if you
    get garbage characters, you have line noise. Isolating that can be
    tricky. Refer to your modem owner's manual or other online ref for this.

    3) If the modem is a Soft or Controllerless modem, then you should check
    for resource conflicts or "Phantom Drivers". Go to Device manager, write
    down all the catagories and devices listed, then rebot in safe mode. If
    you find new devices listed in safe mode, those are Phantoms, stealing
    resources and generating conflicts. You'll need to remove all the
    Phantomed catagories and rebot into normal mode WITH ALL YOUR DRIVER
    DISKS HANDY!

    If it gets beyond that, you'll be on your own - but by that point you'll
    be looking at updating your drivers or asking BY "WTF?!" too.

    Good Luck!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 13, 2003
  8. get broadband!

    What's In A Name?, Oct 13, 2003
  9. Liam Parr

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Liam Parr said:
    >

    >>Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    >>connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and it
    >>gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
    >>the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    >>for!!!!!!

    > When the motorway is busy, the traffic flows slowly.

    What a crock!!! This shows that you have absolutely no clue.
    yugsdrawkcab, Oct 13, 2003
  10. Liam Parr

    Brian H¹© Guest

    yugsdrawkcab said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >
    >> Liam Parr said:
    >>

    >>> Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    >>> connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and it
    >>> gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
    >>> the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    >>> for!!!!!!

    >> When the motorway is busy, the traffic flows slowly.
    >>

    > What a crock!!! This shows that you have absolutely no clue.

    I don't see any sort of explanation coming from *your* direction.
    Brian H¹©, Oct 13, 2003
  11. Liam Parr

    Mike0000 Guest

    Liam Parr wrote:

    > Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
    > connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and it
    > gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
    > the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
    > for!!!!!!

    Are you blocking ads? Its a lifesaver over a dial-up. Check my sig.

    Also, make sure you have the newest drivers for your modem and when you
    dial unplug anything other than a regular phone like an answering
    machine, etc in case its putting noise on the line.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now
    Mike0000, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Liam Parr

    Mike0000 Guest

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:

    > There's only 3 possible reasons for the odd speed you get:
    > 1) The User's computer / modem is faulty
    > 2) The communications medium is faulty (phone wire to TelCo)
    > 3) The Service's modem is faulty

    Most likey #3. Youre calling into a bank of modems. If you get a bad
    one you'll get a bad connection. Your speed should vary but not by that
    much. Considering all this stuff is outsourced you never know whose
    modems you're calling. Hell, switching providers might not even make a
    difference.

    Mike0000, Oct 13, 2003
  13. Mike0000 wrote:
    > BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:
    >

    >> There's only 3 possible reasons for the odd speed you get:
    >> 1) The User's computer / modem is faulty
    >> 2) The communications medium is faulty (phone wire to TelCo)
    >> 3) The Service's modem is faulty
    >>

    > Most likey #3. Youre calling into a bank of modems. If you get a bad
    > one you'll get a bad connection. Your speed should vary but not by that
    > much. Considering all this stuff is outsourced you never know whose
    > modems you're calling. Hell, switching providers might not even make a
    > difference.

    Actually, my experience has been #1 more often than not - Winmodems /
    Soft Modems / Controllerless modems are all too suceptable to the driver
    getting hosed by Phantoms....

    I'm hoping the original poster will let us know what he finds out - even
    when I'm wrong, I learn a lot.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 13, 2003