55mm 'pinch' type len caps?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by T i m, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. T i m

    T i m Guest

    Hi All,

    My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
    S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
    the outside grip style of the Fuji.

    Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
    won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

    Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
    'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
    least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    [1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
    lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

    T i m, Aug 8, 2006

  2. T i m

    Roy G Guest

    "T i m" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
    > S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
    > the outside grip style of the Fuji.
    >
    > Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
    > won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.
    >
    > Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
    > 'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
    > least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?
    >
    > All the best ..
    >
    > T i m
    >
    > [1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
    > lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

    Hi.

    Almost all photographic retailers sell lens caps.

    Have a look at www.jessops.com ,

    www.warehouseexpress.com ,

    www.7dayshop.com etc.

    The prices might be a little more than you expect, this sort of thing is
    where they make their money.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 8, 2006

  3. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:03:36 GMT, "Roy G"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >Almost all photographic retailers sell lens caps.
    >
    >Have a look at www.jessops.com ,
    >
    >www.warehouseexpress.com ,
    >
    >www.7dayshop.com etc.
    >
    >The prices might be a little more than you expect, this sort of thing is
    >where they make their money.

    Hi Roy,

    Thanks for the links (and I've checked all the sites but as I couldn't
    see anything suitable, emailed all of them so will see) but I don't
    think it's as easy as that? ;-(

    Everyone seems to stock (as aftermarket 'add-on' or spare replacement)
    the std edge pinch lens cap but not the design where you pinch them in
    the middle at the front (as I believe comes with some Sony and Minolta
    digi-cams)?

    So not only does it have to be that particular style but 55mm ?

    All the best and you never know .. one of the above might also have
    summat in their 'bits box' that's not shown on their web sites .. ;-)

    T i m

    T i m, Aug 8, 2006
  4. T i m

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:48:58 GMT, T i m wrote:

    > Everyone seems to stock (as aftermarket 'add-on' or spare replacement)
    > the std edge pinch lens cap but not the design where you pinch them in
    > the middle at the front (as I believe comes with some Sony and Minolta
    > digi-cams)?

    Unless you think that they'll cost too much, why not try to get a
    Sony or Minolta lens cap. They've probably got one that will fit
    55mm lens threads.

    > Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
    > won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.

    Do you mean that she keeps the adapter tube attached even when the
    WA lens isn't being used? If so, she may want to check it to see if
    it interferes with the S7000's pop-up flash. If it does, it will
    probably be with the lens zoomed to a wide position. I have Fuji's
    S5100, and found that it not only blocked part of the flash's light,
    but the light that reflected off the black tube sometimes caused
    parts of subject's faces to pick up an orange tint. If a hot shoe
    mounted flash is used with the S7000 there should be no problem, but
    unfortunately that's not an option with the S5100.

    ASAAR, Aug 8, 2006
  5. T i m

    Roy G Guest

    "T i m" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:03:36 GMT, "Roy G"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi.
    >>
    >>Almost all photographic retailers sell lens caps.
    >>
    >>Have a look at www.jessops.com ,
    >>
    >>www.warehouseexpress.com ,
    >>
    >>www.7dayshop.com etc.
    >>
    >>The prices might be a little more than you expect, this sort of thing is
    >>where they make their money.

    > Hi Roy,
    >
    > Thanks for the links (and I've checked all the sites but as I couldn't
    > see anything suitable, emailed all of them so will see) but I don't
    > think it's as easy as that? ;-(
    >
    > Everyone seems to stock (as aftermarket 'add-on' or spare replacement)
    > the std edge pinch lens cap but not the design where you pinch them in
    > the middle at the front (as I believe comes with some Sony and Minolta
    > digi-cams)?
    >
    > So not only does it have to be that particular style but 55mm ?
    >
    > All the best and you never know .. one of the above might also have
    > summat in their 'bits box' that's not shown on their web sites .. ;-)
    >
    > T i m

    Hi again.

    You could not have looked very hard.

    Go to 7Dayshop dot com.

    Select > Photography > All product types > Hama.

    Then click on the search button.

    Hama Super Lens Cap 55mm Internal Mechanism 2.39

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 8, 2006
  6. T i m

    J. Clarke Guest

    T i m wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
    > S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
    > the outside grip style of the Fuji.
    >
    > Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
    > won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.
    >
    > Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
    > 'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
    > least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?
    >
    > All the best ..
    >
    > T i m
    >
    > [1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
    > lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

    Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
    right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer. In the
    US one could go to Best Buy or Circuit City or the like and look at a
    variety of models--presumably there's an equivalent in the UK. If the cap
    for the Panasonic FZ30 is designed like the one for the FZ7, it should do
    (the one for the FZ7 actually has no trouble with a 55mm thread even though
    it's nominally 52mm--the FZ30 is 55mm). Panasonic lists it for $3.41 on
    their US parts-ordering site, not sure how one orders parts in the UK. The
    part number is VYK1P30 if that's any help.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Aug 8, 2006
  7. T i m

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Have a look on www.ebay.co.uk
    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Aug 8, 2006
  8. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:48:05 GMT, "Roy G"
    <> wrote:

    >> Thanks for the links (and I've checked all the sites but as I couldn't
    >> see anything suitable, emailed all of them so will see) but I don't
    >> think it's as easy as that? ;-(
    >>

    >Hi again.

    Hi Roy,

    >You could not have looked very hard.

    I think I might have looked 'too hard' ;-(

    >Go to 7Dayshop dot com.

    >Select > Photography > All product types > Hama.
    >

    >Then click on the search button.
    >
    >Hama Super Lens Cap 55mm Internal Mechanism 2.39

    Brilliant ;-)

    So I wonder why it doesn't come up when you go:

    Photography > Lens caps > All manufacturers ..? <shrug>

    Well, at least we (you) have found what we were after and I'm due to
    order from them again soon so it looks like it might work out well ;-)

    Thanks again for your time / help Roy ..

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Aug 8, 2006
  9. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:16:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
    >right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer.

    I sorta suggested the same whilst in the shop buying the WA lens but
    it didn't seem many cameras in stock used such a cap (and the one that
    did was a

    T i m, Aug 8, 2006
  10. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:16:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    Oooops .. musta hit summat by accident and it sent unfinished ;-(

    >Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
    >right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer.

    What I was going to say was I sorta suggested the same whilst in the
    shop buying the WA lens but it didn't seem many cameras in stock that
    used such a cap (and the one that did was a Minolta and he suggested
    it would probably be expensive *if* you could actually still get one).

    >In the
    >US one could go to Best Buy or Circuit City or the like and look at a
    >variety of models--presumably there's an equivalent in the UK.

    Possibly, though noting within easy reach of us here (the local camera
    shop is literally a short walk to the top of the road and after that
    I've no idea .. not being into photography for many years now). ;-(

    > If the cap
    >for the Panasonic FZ30 is designed like the one for the FZ7, it should do
    >(the one for the FZ7 actually has no trouble with a 55mm thread even though
    >it's nominally 52mm--the FZ30 is 55mm). Panasonic lists it for $3.41 on
    >their US parts-ordering site, not sure how one orders parts in the UK. The
    >part number is VYK1P30 if that's any help.

    It might well be .. ;-)

    http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/icat/dmcfz30ebk

    As long as they have them back in stock and depending on the postage
    etc ..?

    So, for the 'ideal' solution this depends on the cap for the FZ30
    being the same pinch style as the FZ7 ..?

    All the best and thanks for the lateral thinking ;-)

    T i m

    T i m, Aug 8, 2006
  11. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:19:53 +0100, Neil Ellwood
    <> wrote:

    >> [1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
    >> lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

    >Have a look on www.ebay.co.uk

    I have and am 'watching' a pair of what looks like a suitable solution
    but they are in Hong Kong ..?

    Not that I have to go there to get them of course but I would prefer a
    UK supplier (if the price is right) .. also my PalPal account has
    expired (objected to eBay earning even more money since they now own
    it) .. ;-(

    But if all else fails I'll get a mate to buy them for me ;-)

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Aug 8, 2006
  12. T i m

    J. Clarke Guest

    T i m wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:16:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Oooops .. musta hit summat by accident and it sent unfinished ;-(
    >>
    >>Obvious thing to do is find a camera with the type of cap you want and the
    >>right filter thread and order a replacement from the manufacturer.

    > What I was going to say was I sorta suggested the same whilst in the
    > shop buying the WA lens but it didn't seem many cameras in stock that
    > used such a cap (and the one that did was a Minolta and he suggested
    > it would probably be expensive *if* you could actually still get one).
    >

    >>In the
    >>US one could go to Best Buy or Circuit City or the like and look at a
    >>variety of models--presumably there's an equivalent in the UK.

    > Possibly, though noting within easy reach of us here (the local camera
    > shop is literally a short walk to the top of the road and after that
    > I've no idea .. not being into photography for many years now). ;-(
    >
    >> If the cap
    >>for the Panasonic FZ30 is designed like the one for the FZ7, it should do
    >>(the one for the FZ7 actually has no trouble with a 55mm thread even
    >>though
    >>it's nominally 52mm--the FZ30 is 55mm). Panasonic lists it for $3.41 on
    >>their US parts-ordering site, not sure how one orders parts in the UK.
    >>The part number is VYK1P30 if that's any help.

    > It might well be .. ;-)
    >
    > http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/icat/dmcfz30ebk
    >
    > As long as they have them back in stock and depending on the postage
    > etc ..?
    >
    > So, for the 'ideal' solution this depends on the cap for the FZ30
    > being the same pinch style as the FZ7 ..?

    Yes. I tried to find a picture of one but no luck.

    J. Clarke, Aug 9, 2006
  13. In article <>, T i m
    <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
    > S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
    > the outside grip style of the Fuji.
    >
    > Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
    > won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.
    >
    > Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
    > 'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
    > least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?

    T i m-

    As you noticed, the Sony Alpha 100 Kit Lens, as well as the one with the
    Konica-Minolta 5D, has the front-squeeze lens cap.

    I also have a couple of Tamron lenses that have that style lenscap. It
    allows you to remove and attach the cap even though their lens shades are
    installed. The Tamron 100-300mm f/5-6.3 zoom has a 55mm cap.

    If there are any older camera stores near you, ask them if they have a
    collection of orphaned lens caps. You might be lucky enough to find what
    you are looking for.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 9, 2006
  14. On 2006-08-08, T i m <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My daughter tried a mates Sony 707 prior to us buying her the Fuji
    > S7000 and she 'preferred the front pinch style lens cap of the Sony to
    > the outside grip style of the Fuji.
    >
    > Now she also has the Fuji adaptor tube for the WA lens so the Fuji cap
    > won't fit anyway so we do need to buy something.
    >
    > Any idea where we can get one (or two / 55mm) of these things at the
    > 'right price' [1] in the UK please? Maybe your camera has such so at
    > least we know what make to go after (or one in yer 'bits box' maybe?
    >
    > All the best ..
    >
    > T i m
    >
    > [1] I know I'm looking for a 'photographic equipment' but these are
    > lens caps not lenses so I would hope it was under 5 GBP! ;-)

    If you have a "RitzCamera" in the UK, they carry a shallow pinch style
    lens cap. I had to get one because adding uv filter made the Sony
    cap not fit; don't know what the "right price" would be but it wasn't
    high for me.

    plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu, Aug 9, 2006
  15. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:48:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >> So, for the 'ideal' solution this depends on the cap for the FZ30
    >> being the same pinch style as the FZ7 ..?

    >Yes. I tried to find a picture of one but no luck.

    Well thanks for trying .. ;-)

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Aug 9, 2006