5509 and 3745 TICS; need this clarified!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dude, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. dude

    dude Guest

    We had an incident a month losing mainframe connectivity through our
    3745 via the 5509. At that time we had 4 TICS that were in
    production, however, when the systems programmer varied two TICS
    offline, we (our network services staff) were informed that the 5509
    is dropping SNA connections.

    None of our configs (5509, 6509, 6513, 4006s) were changed during the
    time that the TICS were brought down. Once the TICS were brought down
    (when the cache entries expired) that is when all the mainframe
    "connectivity" problems were occuring.

    Keep in mind that the 5509 was not recycled and dlsw reach status
    showed the 3745 mac address. I know all network services personnel
    must have heard this a million of times. "It's a network issue!"

    This was the first time that only two of the four TICS were brought
    down, normally all 4 TICS are recycled. Since this is a Token Ring
    interface and we all know how Token Ring is damn right troublesome in
    re-establishing the link after being down for so long that the only
    way to re-establish connection was to recycle.

    Who's at fault? We are tired of being blamed for someone else's wrong
    doing. Especially in this case when the system programmer initiated
    the process. The 5509 was up and operational for close to 2 years
    before we recycled it because upper management had forced us to do it.
    Within those 2 years, those (4) TICS were recycled and re-established
    with no intervention by the network staff. Only when two TICS were
    brought down this issue occurred
    dude, Dec 27, 2003