    mear feet from the router with a 100% signal at 54Mbps. How do I bump the
    transfer rate from 2.5MB/sec to the full 6.75MB/sec? XP Pro on both pc's btw

    Thanks all
    Brian, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Brian

    pcbutts1 Guest

    It really depends on how you are testing it and what kind of file you are
    transferring.

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless network with a 54g router. Its an SMC barricade router.

    > have one notebook wireless with an SMC barricade (54g as well) card for

    the
    > notebook and my desktop is wired to the router. Now, 54Mbps should net me
    > roughly 6.75MB/sec.
    >
    > If I am on my notebook and use/get a file off my desktop, the transfer

    rate

    pcbutts1, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Both simply being on the notebook and accessing big files (such as video
    files) from the desktop as well as transferring files (drag and drop as well
    as ftp). have tried video files, zips, exe's.

    Brian, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Brian

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless network with a 54g router. Its an SMC barricade router.

    > have one notebook wireless with an SMC barricade (54g as well) card for

    the
    > notebook and my desktop is wired to the router. Now, 54Mbps should net me
    > roughly 6.75MB/sec.
    >
    > If I am on my notebook and use/get a file off my desktop, the transfer

    rate
    > is only at 2.5MB/sec. This is almost three times slower than the full 54g
    > speed should be.
    >
    > My router is configed to go at the full 54Mbps, the wireless notebook is
    > mear feet from the router with a 100% signal at 54Mbps. How do I bump the
    > transfer rate from 2.5MB/sec to the full 6.75MB/sec? XP Pro on both pc's

    btw

    My 11Mbps 802.11b network will typically achieve 4.5Mbps actual transfer
    rate. My understanding is that an AP will not allocate more than half of
    available bandwidth to any single device because it needs to spend some time
    checking for other devices trying to connect. Due to overheads and error
    checking it takes 10 to 12 bits to transmit a single byte. Therefore 54M
    divide by 2 divide by 11 gets 2.45MBps so your result is roughly correct.
    Alien Zord, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Brian

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:47:24 GMT, Brian wrote:

    >I have a wireless network with a 54g router. Its an SMC barricade router. I
    >have one notebook wireless with an SMC barricade (54g as well) card for the
    >notebook and my desktop is wired to the router. Now, 54Mbps should net me
    >roughly 6.75MB/sec.

    In theory of course.

    >If I am on my notebook and use/get a file off my desktop, the transfer rate
    >is only at 2.5MB/sec. This is almost three times slower than the full 54g
    >speed should be.

    It's also better for lots of transfers to use FTP, Drag/Drop from the
    desktop is more likely to heve extra overheads (but not a lot, only all
    that silly GUI stuff copying/moving folders , updating the screen)

    I have never seen the full speed on 100Mbps or 1Gbps switches (at home)
    none of the PCs (disks etc) can pump out the data that fast.

    After setting up transfers across the SCSI disk on 1 PC to the SATA on
    another the speed went up a bit, but the max over 30 minutes is only
    about 9335.4 kb/s. That's across 2 x 1Gb NICs.

    Just transferred an ISO image, Ftom P4 1.8GhZ 1G RAM, 100MBps NIC SATA
    disk to AMD K6-2/500 384MB RAM 1Gbps NIC SCSI disk.

    660340736 in 255.82s 2581,19 Kbytes/sec

    MRTG captured this, on the FTP server
    Current Out: 20.1 Mb/s (2.0%)

    on the FTP client
    Current In: 21.5 Mb/s (2.1%)

    2nd iso
    667516828 236.28s 2824.99 Kbytes/sec

    now getting

    Current Out: 23.9 Mb/s (2.4%)
    Current In: 24.9 Mb/s (2.5%)

    Of course the next thing to try is a 2 way transfer to increase the
    bandwidth in use.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Brian

    Zknb Guest

    You are falling for marketing gimiks.

    Sure 54Mps is the maximium throughput but you will never see it.

    Just like an ATA100 harddrive never transfers at 100 Megabytes per
    second.

    Zknb, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Would you agree with the speed I am getting as well as previous repliers
    that I am at the actual max speed I will ever see? If not how could I
    increase it more to the actual max speed?

    Brian

    "Zknb" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Brian, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless network with a 54g router. Its an SMC barricade router.

    > have one notebook wireless with an SMC barricade (54g as well) card for

    the
    > notebook and my desktop is wired to the router. Now, 54Mbps should net me
    > roughly 6.75MB/sec.

    TOTAL - including protocol overheads.

    > If I am on my notebook and use/get a file off my desktop, the transfer

    rate
    > is only at 2.5MB/sec. This is almost three times slower than the full 54g
    > speed should be.

    Actually, if it's at 2.5MB/sec, it's transferring 5MB/sec (do
    rememeber that there's a TRANSMISSION and a RECEPTION for each block .. )

    Add overhead, and you start to push that 6.75MB/sec.

    I'd doubt you'd get over 3MB/sec over it, unless you can wire to
    one of them so the two aren't sharing the bandwidth.

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Dec 20, 2003
  9. In article <MnREb.34564$>,
    "Brian" <> wrote:

    > I have a wireless network with a 54g router. Its an SMC barricade router. I
    > have one notebook wireless with an SMC barricade (54g as well) card for the
    > notebook and my desktop is wired to the router. Now, 54Mbps should net me
    > roughly 6.75MB/sec.
    >
    > If I am on my notebook and use/get a file off my desktop, the transfer rate
    > is only at 2.5MB/sec. This is almost three times slower than the full 54g
    > speed should be.
    >
    > My router is configed to go at the full 54Mbps, the wireless notebook is
    > mear feet from the router with a 100% signal at 54Mbps. How do I bump the
    > transfer rate from 2.5MB/sec to the full 6.75MB/sec? XP Pro on both pc's btw
    >
    > Thanks all

    Check the range specifications. The bandwidth for the 802.11g drops off
    FAST. The full speed transmission radius is so small that you might as
    well use a cable. It's quite a gimmick.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 21, 2003