    Is that a decent connection or not?

    Thanks

    David
    BIG DAVE, Jun 10, 2010

  2. BIG DAVE

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 6/9/2010 9:58 PM Just to please that super-ego, BIG DAVE wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > Is 54 MBPS a decent broadband speed? The reason I ask is because we
    > are over a friends house that has a wireless router and it says my
    > netbook is connecting at that speed. The problem is, it seems just a
    > little bit faster than my old dial-up connection.
    >
    > Is that a decent connection or not?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    The 54Mb is the speed of the routers ability to handle traffic, now you
    need to know the speed of your friends Internet connection.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Jun 10, 2010

  3. BIG DAVE

    duckstandard Guest

    BIG DAVE wrote:
    > Is 54 MBPS a decent broadband speed? The reason I ask is because we
    > are over a friends house that has a wireless router and it says my
    > netbook is connecting at that speed. The problem is, it seems just a
    > little bit faster than my old dial-up connection.
    >
    > Is that a decent connection or not?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    This seems to be a pretty reliable speed test. Or maybe download a
    file from download.com
    http://speedtest.comcast.net/

    mbps is megabits per second? which 10 mbps is around 1 megabyte>
    duckstandard, Jun 10, 2010
  4. BIG DAVE

    chuckcar Guest

    BIG DAVE <> wrote in news:dc7292e8-a8c6-4177-b45c-
    :

    > Is 54 MBPS a decent broadband speed?

    It's faster than any *I've* ever heard of. At least for home use.

    NB:

    MB= 1024x1024 *bytes*
    Mb=1024x1024 *bits*

    The first is 10x faster than the second in actual bits transmitted.
    even 540 KB/s is decent for DSL speeds.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 10, 2010