512MB CF 69 pics, 256Mb xD 71 pics??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Corbett, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. John Corbett

    John Corbett Guest

    Hi all,

    Hope someone can help me explain this.

    I have an Olympus 5050Z that takes both CF and xD cards simultaneously and
    I have one of each inserted, a 512Mb CF card and a 256Mb xD.

    When I switch from card to card, the number of remaining shots on that card
    is displayed...and here's where it gets a bit freaky

    The newly formatted 512Mb CF card displays 69 shots on SHQ 2560 x 1920
    jpeg, whilst the 256mB xD card *on exactly the same settings* shows 71!!

    How can that be possible?? How can a 256Mb card hold more pictures than a
    512Mb one?? Is this something specific to xD cards???

    Hope someone can help

    --

    Regards

    John [Harold Hill, Essex, UK]

    Remove the obvious spamtrap from the address to reply!

    John Corbett, Oct 31, 2003

  2. John Corbett wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Hope someone can help me explain this.
    >
    > I have an Olympus 5050Z that takes both CF and xD cards simultaneously and
    > I have one of each inserted, a 512Mb CF card and a 256Mb xD.
    >
    > When I switch from card to card, the number of remaining shots on that card
    > is displayed...and here's where it gets a bit freaky
    >
    > The newly formatted 512Mb CF card displays 69 shots on SHQ 2560 x 1920
    > jpeg, whilst the 256mB xD card *on exactly the same settings* shows 71!!
    >
    > How can that be possible?? How can a 256Mb card hold more pictures than a
    > 512Mb one?? Is this something specific to xD cards???
    >
    > Hope someone can help
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John [Harold Hill, Essex, UK]
    >
    > Remove the obvious spamtrap from the address to reply!

    Something must be wrong with the 512 MB CF card.
    According to the 5050 specs, a 256 card should capture about 70 pictures in
    SHQ 2560x1920 mode.
    A 512MB card should therefore capture about 140 images in the same mode.
    So, it's not that the 256 MB xD is showing an unusually large capacity, the 512
    MB CF card is showing too low a number.
    Perhaps the 512 is mislabeled, have you tried it in another camera?
    If you have a card reader, see what size the computer says the 512 really is.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Oct 31, 2003

  3. John Corbett

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Corbett wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Hope someone can help me explain this.
    >
    > I have an Olympus 5050Z that takes both CF and xD cards simultaneously and
    > I have one of each inserted, a 512Mb CF card and a 256Mb xD.
    >
    > When I switch from card to card, the number of remaining shots on that card
    > is displayed...and here's where it gets a bit freaky
    >
    > The newly formatted 512Mb CF card displays 69 shots on SHQ 2560 x 1920
    > jpeg, whilst the 256mB xD card *on exactly the same settings* shows 71!!
    >
    > How can that be possible?? How can a 256Mb card hold more pictures than a
    > 512Mb one?? Is this something specific to xD cards???
    >
    > Hope someone can help

    Sounds like you have a problem with the 512 meg card. See if you can
    get it to a computer with card reader and see what your file manager
    software says about space remaining, and what is on the card.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 31, 2003
  4. John Corbett

    JoeT Guest

    Hi John,

    Can you give specific brand and model #'s for the memory cards? First
    thoughts are that either the 512 card could be defective (large number of
    inoperable storage locations) or that your camera is fomatting the card
    differently than the 256m, or that your camera may have a bug in accessing
    this type of card ... I would send this question to the manufacturer of your
    camera with all the details and see what they say.

    "John Corbett" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    JoeT, Oct 31, 2003
  5. John Corbett

    Vance Green Guest

    Try it again, one in at a time.

    Having them both in, even tho' it says it's
    supported, would seem to me to be asking for
    trouble.

    "John Corbett" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Vance Green, Oct 31, 2003
  6. John Corbett

    Mark M Guest

    "John Corbett" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Hope someone can help me explain this.
    >
    > I have an Olympus 5050Z that takes both CF and xD cards simultaneously and
    > I have one of each inserted, a 512Mb CF card and a 256Mb xD.

    Format the 512 card as a disk drive while in a card reader.
    Then format it in your camera for use there...without the xD card in the
    camera.
    Check it now.
    If this doesn't fix it, then you almost surely have a defective CF card.
    Except....
    You could still borrow another large capacity card somewhere and see if you
    get similar results.
    If similar...then talk to Olympus about your camera's card identification
    trouble.

    Mark M, Nov 1, 2003
  7. John Corbett

    John Corbett Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:56:07 -0800, "Mark M" <> wrote:

    >"John Corbett" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Hope someone can help me explain this.
    >>
    >> I have an Olympus 5050Z that takes both CF and xD cards simultaneously and
    >> I have one of each inserted, a 512Mb CF card and a 256Mb xD.

    >Format the 512 card as a disk drive while in a card reader.
    >Then format it in your camera for use there...without the xD card in the
    >camera.
    >Check it now.
    >If this doesn't fix it, then you almost surely have a defective CF card.
    >Except....
    >You could still borrow another large capacity card somewhere and see if you
    >get similar results.
    >If similar...then talk to Olympus about your camera's card identification
    >trouble.

    Formatting in a card reader and then inserting into the camera seems to
    have done the trick.....Weird eh???

    Incidentally, the 5050Z is designed to take more than one card...due to the
    fact that it has a button just below the LCD allowing you to change
    cards...which isn't necessary if you've only got one card inserted!

    John Corbett, Nov 1, 2003
  8. John Corbett

    Bandicoot Guest

    John Corbett <> wrote

    {SNIPPED STUPIDITY}

    You stupid asshole! Some Gook ripped you off and sold you the wrong card!

    Bandicoot, Nov 1, 2003
  9. John Corbett

    Jerry Guest

    Poor Mr. Bandicoot,

    Obviously so consumed with self hate that his anger must be directed at
    everyone he encounters.
    It has to be hard to be you.

    Your Friend

    Jerry, Nov 1, 2003