512M USB Flash Disk Loses Files

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by David Nesbitt, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. While working to resolve my problems with IE and Norton Security, I
    purchased
    a 512M USB Flash disk to use to backup files as the PC that I had did not
    have a R/W CD Burner.
    I copied files from the appropriate folders to the Flash Disk, checked the
    number of files that were copied against what was expected,
    safetly disconnected the USB from the PC and plugged it into the other PC.

    Lo and behold half the files disappeared from the flash disk.

    As an example, if I take the Windows 2000 Program files folder and sub
    folders and copy it to the Flash disk, 1915 files are listed as present
    on the disk. The files even appear to be there. If I unplug and re-plug into
    the same PC, The number of files goes down to 1676.

    I determined which files were missing and was able to copy them in a
    separate attempt. But this is very frustrating.

    I have experienced this going from PIII-800 Windows XP to PIII-750 Windows
    2K Pro, from PIII-750 Windows 2K Pro to
    PIII-800 Windows XP, and from PIII-750 Windows 2K Pro to itself.

    Do you have any ideas why this might happen ? As I really do not need a
    flaky backup process, I will simply return it.

    Thanks once more

    David
    David Nesbitt, Aug 3, 2004

  2. David Nesbitt

    Kenny Guest

    Are you properly stopping the device by double clicking the icon in System
    Tray before physically removing it? If not this can cause data corruption
    and loss.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Before I remove the flash, I do go thru the process of stopping the it. A
    message comes up
    saying that it is safe to remove it. I can try again just to make sure .

    david

    David Nesbitt, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Just an update.

    I returned the item and was informed that they had been having problems with
    this product

    Thx

    David

    I returned the