    TIA,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad, Aug 5, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Conrad <> wrote:

    > I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    > is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be used
    > for portraits and landscapes?

    While it may depend upon the specific model of the lens, I've always
    had fine results using 55 or 60mm Micro Nikkors for general purpose
    photography. What makes them macro lenses, aside from the close
    focusing ability, is a very flat field of focus. While critical for
    copy work, it's much less so - though certainly not harmful - for
    general subjects.

    Scott Schuckert, Aug 5, 2006

  3. "Conrad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    > is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be used
    > for portraits and landscapes?
    >
    > Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL camera
    > and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any suggestions or
    > recommendations will be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Conrad
    > Camp Sherman, Oregon

    I've used my EF 50 f2.5 macro both as an excellent "standard" lens when
    shooting landscapes and architecture, and when shooting flowers when out
    walking. I also have the EF 100 macro which is much heavier, but allows
    greater working distance and can be better for shooting garden butterflies
    (still difficult as they seem to have eyes everywhere), moths etc.
    The 50 has a well recessed front element so a lens hood isn't strictly
    necessary - unless you've got filter in place, and this certainly isn't
    recessed.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Aug 5, 2006
  4. Conrad

    J. Clarke Guest

    Conrad wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    > is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be used
    > for portraits and landscapes?
    >
    > Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL camera
    > and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any suggestions or
    > recommendations will be appreciated.

    Other than the 65mm (a highly specialized lens), any of the current Canon
    macros work fine as general purpose lenses.

    Personally I'd avoid the Canon 50, as it needs a special extender to
    actually serve its macro function--the 60 would be a better bet IMO. The
    100 is getting a bit long for indoor portrait use--you'd have to get back
    quite a distance to use it for that purpose. The 50 mm f/1.8 would be
    another option--it's inexpensive (enough so that you might be able to
    afford it in addition to another lens), sharp, and several stops faster
    than anything that you have. The 50, 60, and 100 are really a bit long for
    landscapes--you might want to consider extending the wide end with the
    10-22 if that is your major interest.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Aug 5, 2006
  5. Conrad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    > is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be used
    > for portraits and landscapes?
    >
    > Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL camera
    > and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any suggestions or
    > recommendations will be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Conrad
    > Camp Sherman, Oregon

    You have some good lenses for general work. But most macros work well
    for general work as well . That 50-65 range is great for portraits. For
    macro work most of the time the 100mm range would be a big advantage over
    the shorter lenses. Being able to get further away is good. I the case of
    living creatures they are more comfortable with you further away. Even
    inanimate objects are usually easier to work with with a little more
    distance. Getting too close will also cause more difficulties with
    lighting.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 5, 2006
  6. Conrad

    Jim Guest

    "Conrad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    > is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be used
    > for portraits and landscapes?

    I certainly don't think you need permission from anybody to use macro lenses
    in whatever way you wish.

    Macro lenses are designed to minimize the various problems that are more
    noticeable in the extreme closeup range. They are not necessarily "better"
    that normal lenses for subjects at more ordinary. For example, comparing a
    shot made with my 105mm f2.5 lens with a shot made with my 105mm f2.8 macro
    lens would show very very little difference (assuming that one could in fact
    make the shot with the 105mm f2.5 lens).
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 5, 2006
  7. Conrad

    Dave Guest

    On 5 Aug 2006 04:45:18 -0700, "Conrad" <> wrote:

    >Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL camera
    >and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any suggestions or
    >recommendations will be appreciated.
    >
    >Conrad

    I use an EFS Canon 60MM Macro for my "standard" lens. It's one of the
    sharpest I've ever owned.

    Dave
    East Englewood

    The proof is in the print.

    Dave, Aug 6, 2006
  8. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the excellent suggestions for lens use and choices.
    Really appreciated.

    Best,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad, Aug 6, 2006
  9. Conrad

    no_name Guest

    Conrad wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    > is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be used
    > for portraits and landscapes?
    >
    > Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL camera
    > and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any suggestions or
    > recommendations will be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Conrad
    > Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Seems to depend on the macro lens. Some are better than others at
    non-macro.

    I have a Pentax 100mm f/2.8A Macro (manual focus) that's a superb
    portrait lens in addition to its utility for macro and closeup work.
    Works equally well with my Pentax manual focus, auto focus and DSLR bodies.

    I guess it would be ok at infinity, but I've never really tried to use
    it for that.

    Don't really know what Canon might offer, or what anyone else might
    offer in a Canon mount that would compare.

    no_name, Aug 9, 2006
  10. Conrad

    RoseW Guest

    In news:jnrCg.13526$,
    no_name <> typed:
    | Conrad wrote:
    |
    || Hi,
    || I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    || is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be used
    || for portraits and landscapes?
    || Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL camera
    || and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any suggestions or
    || recommendations will be appreciated.
    || TIA,
    || Conrad
    || Camp Sherman, Oregon
    |
    | Seems to depend on the macro lens. Some are better than others at
    | non-macro.
    |
    | I have a Pentax 100mm f/2.8A Macro (manual focus) that's a superb
    | portrait lens in addition to its utility for macro and closeup work.
    | Works equally well with my Pentax manual focus, auto focus and DSLR
    | bodies.
    |
    | I guess it would be ok at infinity, but I've never really tried to use
    | it for that.
    |
    | Don't really know what Canon might offer, or what anyone else might
    | offer in a Canon mount that would compare.

    I have the 50mm f1:8 lens and have used it with landscapes - regular
    walk-about settings- its good on low light so in the bush, shady
    settings. It feels like using the old 35mm film camera since the absence
    of zoom requires that the human body shifts around to attain the
    position. The focus feature has a sound as the lens gets into focus and
    isn't particularly smooth but it produces a decent image. Some folks
    have moved to the f1:4 for a smoother movement in the focusing etc and
    gave good reports .
    I had the same range of lens that you have and some experienced people
    with similar photography habits as myself (out in the wilds, landscape,
    some close-up,) recommended the 28-85mm or the 25-105mm. I got the 28-85
    and have been quite satisfied with it while out on hikes in the bush or
    at events. Used this 28-85 lens at the Calgary Stampede indoor
    Saddledome events with minimal lighting (IS0 1600) and it did well. The
    50mm worked with the lighting the best but I didn't have physical moving
    around space. The 300 was fine but the 28-85 fitted into the arena floor
    where one sheep dog was running around managing a group of sheep. Well,
    80 sheep dogs one after another were doing this exercise at a major
    Stockdog competition.
    Rose
    Canon RebelXt 350D

    RoseW, Aug 9, 2006
  11. Conrad

    RoseW Guest

    In news:x%rCg.33942$!nnrp1.uunet.ca,
    RoseW <> typed:
    | In news:jnrCg.13526$,
    | no_name <> typed:
    || Conrad wrote:
    ||| Hi,
    ||| I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for.
    ||| Is is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work? Or, may they also be
    ||| used for portraits and landscapes?
    ||| Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL
    ||| camera and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any
    ||| suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.
    ||| TIA,
    ||| Conrad
    ||| Camp Sherman, Oregon
    || Seems to depend on the macro lens. Some are better than others at
    || non-macro.
    || I have a Pentax 100mm f/2.8A Macro (manual focus) that's a superb
    || portrait lens in addition to its utility for macro and closeup work.
    || Works equally well with my Pentax manual focus, auto focus and DSLR
    || bodies.
    || I guess it would be ok at infinity, but I've never really tried to
    || use it for that.
    || Don't really know what Canon might offer, or what anyone else might
    || offer in a Canon mount that would compare.
    |
    | I have the 50mm f1:8 lens and have used it with landscapes - regular
    | walk-about settings- its good on low light so in the bush, shady
    | settings. It feels like using the old 35mm film camera since the
    | absence of zoom requires that the human body shifts around to attain
    | the position. The focus feature has a sound as the lens gets into
    | focus and isn't particularly smooth but it produces a decent image.
    | Some folks have moved to the f1:4 for a smoother movement in the
    | focusing etc and gave good reports .
    | I had the same range of lens that you have and some experienced people
    | with similar photography habits as myself (out in the wilds,
    | landscape, some close-up,) recommended the 28-85mm or the 25-105mm. I
    | got the 28-85 and have been quite satisfied with it while out on
    | hikes in the bush or at events. Used this 28-85 lens at the Calgary
    | Stampede indoor Saddledome events with minimal lighting (IS0 1600)
    | and it did well. The 50mm worked with the lighting the best but I
    | didn't have physical moving around space. The 300 was fine but the
    | 28-85 fitted into the arena floor where one sheep dog was running
    | around managing a group of sheep. Well, 80 sheep dogs one after
    | another were doing this exercise at a major Stockdog competition.
    | Rose
    | Canon RebelXt 350D
    Sorry mistyped the numbers for the 28 lens...its a 28-105
    Rose

    RoseW, Aug 10, 2006
  12. Conrad

    Guest

    Conrad wrote:
    > I'm interested in what a 50mm or 100mm macro lens can be used for. Is
    > is strictly (or, primarily) for macro work?

    No.

    > Or, may they also be used for portraits and landscapes?

    Yes.

    But, macro lens use a large portion of focus range for macro, so it may
    not focus as accurately at non-macro range. And macro lens's aperture
    is smaller than non-macro prime.

    If you do a lot of macro, then get a macro lens. Otherwise, get a
    normal prime, and use extension tube for macro.

    > Presently, I have 18-55mm and 70-300mm lenses for my Canon DSL camera
    > and am looking for an additional lens to add. Any suggestions or
    > recommendations will be appreciated.

    Canon 50/1.8
    Canon 85/1.8
    Canon 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS

    Canon 135/2
    Canon 300/2.8 IS
    Canon 1.4x
    Canon 2x
    Canon 17-55/2.8 IS
    Canon 70-200/2.8 IS

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    , Aug 14, 2006
  13. Conrad

    jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Conrad wrote:
    >
    >> Or, may they also be used for portraits and landscapes?

    > Yes.
    >
    > But, macro lens use a large portion of focus range for macro, so it may
    > not focus as accurately at non-macro range. And macro lens's aperture
    > is smaller than non-macro prime.

    John Shaw, in his classic work "Landscape Photography," assures readers that
    macro lenses make excellent landscape lenses.

    jeremy, Aug 14, 2006
  14. Conrad

    AaronW Guest

    jeremy wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Conrad wrote:
    > >> Or, may they also be used for portraits and landscapes?

    > > Yes.
    > >
    > > But, macro lens use a large portion of focus range for macro, so it may
    > > not focus as accurately at non-macro range. And macro lens's aperture
    > > is smaller than non-macro prime.

    > John Shaw, in his classic work "Landscape Photography," assures readers that
    > macro lenses make excellent landscape lenses.

    For portrait, 1 stop brighter non-macro primes are more useful.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    AaronW, Aug 14, 2006
  15. Conrad

    jeremy Guest

    "AaronW" <> wrote in message
    > jeremy wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Yes.
    >> >
    >> > But, macro lens use a large portion of focus range for macro, so it may
    >> > not focus as accurately at non-macro range. And macro lens's aperture
    >> > is smaller than non-macro prime.

    >> John Shaw, in his classic work "Landscape Photography," assures readers
    >> that
    >> macro lenses make excellent landscape lenses.

    > For portrait, 1 stop brighter non-macro primes are more useful.
    >
    > http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    Agreed. Macros are too unforgiving on aging skin, especially on faces.

    jeremy, Aug 15, 2006