  1. Ge Nidee

    Ge Nidee Guest

    Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

    Ge Nidee, Feb 27, 2012

  2. Ge Nidee

    eatmorepies Guest

    "Ge Nidee" <> wrote in message
    news:jig6dl$ugb$...
    > Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

    My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
    conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
    micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.

    However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
    focuses it more accurately.

    In general - I found that focus lock was good in bright light so long as the
    subject was not moving or moving slowly. At winter rugby matches on dull
    days it was rare to get more than 20% or so crisply focussed images - even
    with L lenses. It doesn't front or back focus particularly - just poor
    focus. Also at ISO 800 it's so noisy that the definition is very poor
    anyway.

    I'm not sure that the 50D is a step up from the 40D.

    I solved the focus problem by throwing money at it and bought a 1D mkIV -
    which seems to be able to focus on a speeding bullet - I now rarely use the
    50D.

    John

    eatmorepies, Feb 27, 2012

  3. Ge Nidee

    Ge Nidee Guest

    "eatmorepies" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

    > My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
    > conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
    > micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
    > However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
    > focuses it more accurately.
    > In general - I found that focus lock was good in bright light so long as
    > the subject was not moving or moving slowly. At winter rugby matches on
    > dull days it was rare to get more than 20% or so crisply focussed images -
    > even with L lenses. It doesn't front or back focus particularly - just
    > poor focus. Also at ISO 800 it's so noisy that the definition is very poor
    > anyway.
    > I'm not sure that the 50D is a step up from the 40D.
    > I solved the focus problem by throwing money at it and bought a 1D mkIV -
    > which seems to be able to focus on a speeding bullet - I now rarely use
    > the 50D.
    > John

    Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my 50D
    was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
    I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
    Thanks again.

    Ge Nidee, Feb 27, 2012
  4. Ge Nidee

    sid Guest

    Ge Nidee wrote:

    > "eatmorepies" <> schreef in bericht
    >>> Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?

    >> My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
    >> conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
    >> micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
    >> However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
    >> focuses it more accurately.
    >> In general - I found that focus lock was good in bright light so long as
    >> the subject was not moving or moving slowly. At winter rugby matches on
    >> dull days it was rare to get more than 20% or so crisply focussed images
    >> - even with L lenses. It doesn't front or back focus particularly - just
    >> poor focus. Also at ISO 800 it's so noisy that the definition is very
    >> poor anyway.
    >> I'm not sure that the 50D is a step up from the 40D.
    >> I solved the focus problem by throwing money at it and bought a 1D mkIV -
    >> which seems to be able to focus on a speeding bullet - I now rarely use
    >> the 50D.
    >> John

    > Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my
    > 50D was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
    > I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
    > Thanks again.

    My 50D focuses just fine with the lenses I've got, no L lenses
    unfortunately, and for a four year old camera the noise levels are perfectly
    acceptable up to ISO 1600, for me anyway. The only time it's not quick
    enough every time is close to a dog moving fast towards the camera. I have
    no complaints at all filling the frame with fast moving motorcycles even in
    not so good light.

    You haven't mentioned what lenses you're using or what sort of things you're
    having trouble with, if however, you're just looking for an excuse to get a
    newer camera, the 50D is rubbish and nothing short of a 7D will make you any
    happier.

    examples

    ISO 1600

    http://www.sidshouse.net/IMG_5906--2012-02-12--10.16.40.JPG

    ISO 400 servo focus

    http://www.sidshouse.net/IMG_4496--2011-09-02--11.06.16.jpg

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

    sid, Feb 28, 2012
  5. Ge Nidee

    Ge Nidee Guest

    "sid" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my
    >> 50D was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
    >> I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
    >> Thanks again.

    > My 50D focuses just fine with the lenses I've got, no L lenses
    > unfortunately, and for a four year old camera the noise levels are
    > perfectly
    > acceptable up to ISO 1600, for me anyway. The only time it's not quick
    > enough every time is close to a dog moving fast towards the camera. I have
    > no complaints at all filling the frame with fast moving motorcycles even
    > in
    > not so good light.
    > You haven't mentioned what lenses you're using or what sort of things
    > you're
    > having trouble with, if however, you're just looking for an excuse to get
    > newer camera, the 50D is rubbish and nothing short of a 7D will make you
    > any
    > happier.
    > examples

    I had two lenses which were sold, a EFS17-85 and a EF70-300 (non L), because
    I never got them focussing right, even with AF-micro-adjust. It was always a
    mess, never sharp.
    I now have the 18-55 kitlens, a Tamron 28-75 (after AF-micro-adjust the
    sharpest) and recently a EF70-300L. The EF70-300L is known to be a great
    lens, but on my 50D it performes not as a quality-lens like this should.
    It's quite possible that my 50D is a misfit. I never said THE 50D is
    rubbish, I'm just affraid mine is. And perhaps more.
    It's obvious you were lucky with yours.
    Heck, I even use a SX210IS and I think it's great for it's class.

    Ge Nidee, Feb 28, 2012
  6. Ge Nidee

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : Thanks very much, John, for the extensive reply. My presumption that my 50D
    : was never okay with focussing (and more: noise) is getting stronger.
    : I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
    : Thanks again.

    No, NO!! Don't do that! I have a 50D, and I can tell you that it badly needs
    its autofocus microadjustment, which the 60D doesn't have. (What was Canon
    thinking?)

    I recently got a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and used it on my 50D for one or two
    shoots. It didn't need AF microadjustment, but produced inconsistent results:
    some of the sharpest pictures I've ever taken and some really crappy ones.
    Last weekend I replaced the 50D with a second 7D. I haven't used the new 7D
    with the 70-200 yet, but it has made a much better performer out of my old
    Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. The 50D's AF is archaic. It's OK for landscapes, but it's
    silly to pretend that the 50D is a good event camera by today's standards.
    AFAIK, the 60D has the same AF as the 50D. If you need a versatile camera, try
    to spring for the 7D.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 29, 2012
  7. Ge Nidee

    Ge Nidee Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> schreef in bericht
    > : I'm considering selling the 50D en buy the 60D anyway.
    > : Thanks again.
    > No, NO!! Don't do that! I have a 50D, and I can tell you that it badly
    > needs
    > its autofocus microadjustment, which the 60D doesn't have. (What was Canon
    > thinking?)
    > I recently got a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and used it on my 50D for one or two
    > shoots. It didn't need AF microadjustment, but produced inconsistent
    > results:
    > some of the sharpest pictures I've ever taken and some really crappy ones.
    > Last weekend I replaced the 50D with a second 7D. I haven't used the new
    > 7D
    > with the 70-200 yet, but it has made a much better performer out of my old
    > Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. The 50D's AF is archaic. It's OK for landscapes, but
    > it's
    > silly to pretend that the 50D is a good event camera by today's standards.
    > AFAIK, the 60D has the same AF as the 50D. If you need a versatile camera,
    > try
    > to spring for the 7D.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks Bob, for your clear view. This weekend I can test my newest lens on a
    60D, so we'll see.
    A 7D is too much for me and my bankaccount, at least in the near future.;-)
    There's talk about Magic Lantern having the AF adjust on the 60D working
    soon, that will also be a feature to wait for.

    Ge Nidee, Feb 29, 2012
  8. Ge Nidee

    philo Guest

    On 02/27/2012 12:28 PM, eatmorepies wrote:
    > "Ge Nidee"<> wrote in message
    >> Is the Canon 50D often victim of front-backfocus with any lens?
    >>

    > My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
    > conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
    > micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
    >
    > However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
    > focuses it more accurately.

    I am happy with my 50D but it is not perfect of course.

    What is a focus rack? never heard of such a thing

    <snip>

    philo, Mar 1, 2012
  9. Ge Nidee

    eatmorepies Guest

    >> My 50D can produce well focused images with my L lenses - in the right
    >> conditions. With the 50mm f1.4 it was much poorer and needed -17 on the
    >> micro focus adjust setting. The 5D mkII is spot on with this 50mm lens.
    >>
    >> However, having had a new focus rack installed in the 50mm the 50D now
    >> focuses it more accurately.
    >>

    > I am happy with my 50D but it is not perfect of course.
    >
    > What is a focus rack? never heard of such a thing

    It's what the nice man* in the Canon service centre said was cracked in my
    lens. It could be a UK term. I imagine it is a geared ring - based on my
    knowledge of rack and pinion steering in cars. Of course, I could be wrong.

    John

    * He told me it happened quite often in the f1.4 50mm and even happened in
    the f1.2 L version - a thin ring of large diameter that's weak - he said.

    eatmorepies, Mar 1, 2012