    What is your opinion on this psu?
    I had 400W, weak, I believe it is. But 500W is more stronger, it trips at 640W. But heard not the most reliable around.
    Just seeking your opinions.
    Technoholic, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Technoholic

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    The amount of whats it delivers isn't important... I mean it it is but you want one that would deliver a good steady supply of power to all the connected things. Like saying you have a 500Watt power supply but it only has one connection... you want one that can support lots of devices. The good ones like that are usually heavier. So just look around read lots of reviews on several good ones.
    stlava, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Technoholic

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    I've got one of the early ones in my Abit AV8 system and it does just fine. I've also heard that the later ones are not all that great, also heard that they are made by a different company and that is more than likely the reason there are some problems with them. But like I said, I like the one I have.
    Bio-Hazard, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Technoholic

    Bite-Me-2

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2005
    Messages:
    16
    I'm more into Antec PSU, you can't normally go wrong with them.
    Bite-Me-2, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Technoholic

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    Bio, I like the one I have too.
    I know antec PSU is good. Just when I actually have moohlas I'll go for the good/best products.
    Technoholic, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Technoholic

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    I like antec, enermax psu. I don't konw how much you plan to spend on the psu. To tell you the truth, I rather have a little bit less wattage of antec psu than another one that claim to have higher wattage.
    PUTALE, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Technoholic

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    I did have a older Antec 480 when I was putting my AV8 A64 system together, but I had to change it due to a timing problem with the Antec PSU and the Abit MoBo. Antec said that they would RMA the PSU if I wanted, but I had voided all hopes of that several times over. The timing issue was a well known fact with the old Antecs and some newer Abit boards and is documented on the Abit forum boards. That's why I've got the X-Connect now.
    I've got a Thermaltake on my LanParty system and it's not as stable as the X-Connect PSU is, under full load, the Thermaltake drops to 11.7v which is still ok, but the X-Connect never has gone below 119, which is super. Those voltages are checked with a Fluke Multimeter also.
    Bio-Hazard, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Technoholic

    zachig

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    113
    I think this is a pretty good PSU. I've read some good review about it.
    I currently own a Thermaltake Purepower 480W (True Power) and I must say I'm pretty satisfied with it, although I would prefer to buy an OCZ Modstream or Powerstream PSU (if I had the money).
    Anyway, the X-Connect PSU is a pretty decent PSU although there are much better PSUs around (but most of them cost much more).
    zachig, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    There are a few good Power supplies around, but i run on a cheapo 450 watt, and it does do bad for overclocking (not really, but it could be better). So when u are looking for a PSU for Style... maybe this.. but if u haven't got the money look for a cheap PSU and mod it :D
    My Modding part 2 is comeing soonz :D
    unholy, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Technoholic

    werty316

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    96
    I have one that doesn't come with SATA cables so it is an older one and its my second quality PSU I ever owned. I always used POS PSU and have learned since then. I have had my X-Connect for about 1 & 1/2 years and have had no problems. Previous was a 350W Antec TrueBlue which was good but didn't provide enough power. The 12V line was always a little low. I recommend one of those Thermaltake modular or OCZ modular PSUs. There are great. I would have one of those if I didn't have my X-Connect.
    werty316, Jun 29, 2005
  11. Technoholic

    Ciger

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2005
    Messages:
    28
    Well I personally don't suggest any PSU the so call low-end or under price, reason for that is the low-end actually 90% comes down to a situation that the "watt" shown on the box is not the same as the real "watt" that's putting out.... if you bought a 500watt for $20 then you are really getting something that's not it.
    I personally Suggest Antec is a Great choice on that area. But alot of people will say "Don't want to be paying so much and want it to be around up there with Antec's just not on the price" Then you need to go down a bit.
    HEC been around for Years just not that famous in U.S. they are famous in U.K., German and Japan. I think they are a Taiwan Company or some place in ASIA. I build most of my systems for my customers using their's PSU is very good and the price is really acceptable. I would gladly suggest to try theirs.
    http://www.hecgroupusa.com/
    Ciger, Jun 29, 2005
  12. Technoholic

    Blazin Trav

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    29
    I hate xconnects, the one I had totally messed up my system.
    -Trav
    Blazin Trav, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Technoholic

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    There are/were some bad ones out there. But you can get a bad part from any company regardless of how good a rep they have, luck of the draw as they say.
    Bio-Hazard, Jun 30, 2005
  14. Technoholic

    werty316

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    96
    True true. I have one of those WD SE Caviars that are top notch performers and I have to RMA it only after 2 months on usage.
    werty316, Jun 30, 2005
  15. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    everything has faults, i know thats why things happen.
    i have one of the best ideas for an article but the thing is i can't do it because i need the products :(, its to do with manufaturing. :|
    unholy, Jun 30, 2005
  16. Technoholic

    zepper

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    You guys need to join a good tech forum to get the straight scoop on products. The X-Connect has been called "crap that glows" for good reason...

    The full quote from the review: "There used to be two categories of power supplies: quality and crap. Now there is a third - crap that glows."

    .bh.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
    zepper, Jan 3, 2006
  17. Technoholic

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    zepper, we actually WRITE for good tech sites, we know a thing or two. I know the XConnect is a problematic PSU and I wouldn't trust it. I use the PCP&C 1kw PSU for my big beast. Now, who has something bad to say about PCP&C PSU's?
    The Modfather, Jan 4, 2006
  18. Technoholic

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    not me, unless i was a fag.

    I can say. Not all Modulare PSU's are bad. if they are built correctly then they work just as well as normal.

    Just because u one type of modular is bad, doesn't mean they all are.
    unholy, Jan 4, 2006
  19. Technoholic

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Well the problem with modular PSU's is they aren't as effecent and are more prone to certain types of problems. The idea is a good one, I mean being able to just use the wires you need is a nice thought but it's fraught with problems. I plan, eventually, to design the case that will be built with hiding wiring in mind. How? Well that's my secret. :)
    The Modfather, Jan 5, 2006
  20. Technoholic

    Gez

    Joined: