    manager but appear in Partition Magic as Fully unallocated.

    What Happened and How do I restore/recover my data?

    Thank You very Much
    handogg, Jan 27, 2007

  2. handogg

    handogg Guest

    I forgot to mention - drives come up as unallocated when connected to
    my Via card now too. Please help, my entire life is on these drives.

    handogg, Jan 27, 2007

  3. handogg

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    handogg <> typed:
    > I have 3 WD 500GB Western digital hard Drives. Using a Via VT6421 PCI
    > sata card, I received normal working operation from my drives.
    >
    > I switched to a Syba sil3114 card and the drives never appeared in the
    > device manager. From within the PCI Card's Bios Bootup type screen, I
    > created a new raid set in hopes of fixing the problem.

    There is a subtle clue.

    > I never got a warning screen about potentially losing any data.

    But you have your suspicions.

    > After doing this,
    > the drives were still not recognized in the device manager.
    >
    > I upgraded the Sil3114 drivers and now the drives appear in the device
    > manager but appear in Partition Magic as Fully unallocated.
    >
    > What Happened and How do I restore/recover my data?

    It looks like you lost your data when you created a new raid set.

    For recovery, Google on broken raid + recovery.
    Otter, Jan 27, 2007
  4. handogg

    why? Guest

    On 27 Jan 2007 14:19:21 -0800, handogg wrote:

    >I have 3 WD 500GB Western digital hard Drives. Using a Via VT6421 PCI
    >sata card, I received normal working operation from my drives.
    >
    >I switched to a Syba sil3114 card and the drives never appeared in the
    >device manager. From within the PCI Card's Bios Bootup type screen, I
    >created a new raid set in hopes of fixing the problem. I never got a
    >warning screen about potentially losing any data. After doing this,

    Always happens when switching controllers, something I learned on UNIX
    servers. Even on PC SCSI , SATA RAID same thing.

    >the drives were still not recognized in the device manager.
    >
    >I upgraded the Sil3114 drivers and now the drives appear in the device
    >manager but appear in Partition Magic as Fully unallocated.
    >
    >What Happened and How do I restore/recover my data?

    Writing to any of the RAID disks is a bad idea, until you run a recovery
    tool

    Well you would need another disk to boot normally from, say Windows and
    GetDataBack, www.runtime.org and enough new disk space to recover all
    the files onto,

    GDB will run in view only mode, if you can see what you need to recover
    then you can register, enter the key and recover data right away.

    Or your preffered OS and a similar data recovery tool.

    >Thank You very Much

    Me
    why?, Jan 27, 2007
  5. handogg

    why? Guest

    On 27 Jan 2007 14:19:21 -0800, handogg wrote:

    >I have 3 WD 500GB Western digital hard Drives. Using a Via VT6421 PCI
    >sata card, I received normal working operation from my drives.

    See what happens when not RTFM.

    >I switched to a Syba sil3114 card and the drives never appeared in the
    >device manager. From within the PCI Card's Bios Bootup type screen, I
    >created a new raid set in hopes of fixing the problem. I never got a
    >warning screen about potentially losing any data. After doing this,

    http://www.syba.com/product/43/02/05/index.html
    SIL3114 PCI 4-ch Serial-ATA controller card
    User's manual
    http://www.syba.com/bin/user-manual/SIL3114-240604.pdf
    Page 1 of 6 -

    SERIAL ATA
    HOST CONTROLLER CARD
    USER MANUAL
    SA3114-4I
    SA3114-4IR
    SA3114-2E2I
    SA3114-2E2IR
    All contents and specification mentioned in this manual are subject to
    change without prior notice
    All brand names and trademarks referenced and mentioned in this manual
    are property of their respective owners.

    WARNING
    Before installing and activating RAID function, please
    make sure you have a complete backup of your existing
    data from hard drives. Manufacturer is not responsible for
    data loss due to abuse, misuse, or neglect. Should you
    have any installation problem, please contact your dealer
    for assistance.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jan 27, 2007
  6. handogg

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed:
    > On 27 Jan 2007 14:19:21 -0800, handogg wrote:
    >
    >> I have 3 WD 500GB Western digital hard Drives. Using a Via VT6421
    >> PCI sata card, I received normal working operation from my drives.

    > See what happens when not RTFM.

    See what happens if you "fix" something that ain't broken. (There should be
    a list somewhere of the Ten Commandments of PC management.)
    Otter, Jan 27, 2007
  7. handogg

    handogg Guest

    Thanks very much for the very fast replies...except for the last ones
    ofcourse... i've d/l ed gdb and am going to see how that works.. I
    will update.. thanks again!

    handogg, Jan 27, 2007
  8. handogg

    handogg Guest

    Dear "Why"

    Thank You so much for recommending runtime.org. it looks like things
    will work out for me. I'm curious, do you reply to these messages
    using your own free time or are you paid to do so?

    Also, what is RTFM ?

    Thanks!!
    handogg, Jan 28, 2007
  9. handogg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    handogg wrote:
    > Dear "Why"
    >
    > Thank You so much for recommending runtime.org. it looks like things
    > will work out for me. I'm curious, do you reply to these messages
    > using your own free time or are you paid to do so?

    Paid? Insults are the best one can expect here.

    Umm...Read the f****** manual...
    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007
  10. handogg

    handogg Guest

    RTFM ? I bought it on ebay and had no FM haha... "Why" email me ur
    paypal ID, I'll buy you lunch. I am extremely grateful.
    riefachiefa@hotmail

    handogg, Jan 28, 2007
  11. handogg

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    Jurug the ghoul-stake-driver <> typed:
    > WhzzKdd <> Thou hot-headed fellow o' th'
    > strangest mind i' th' world. Thou insignificant punk. Thou lying
    > dissembling knight. Thou floor-licking nut. Ye clanged and ye
    > prompted:
    >
    >> handogg wrote:
    >>> Dear "Why"
    >>>
    >>> Thank You so much for recommending runtime.org. it looks like
    >>> things will work out for me. I'm curious, do you reply to these
    >>> messages using your own free time or are you paid to do so?
    >>>

    >> Paid? Insults are the best one can expect here.

    > Given the techno-voodoo bullshit you dole out, and given your posting
    > name, which amounts to nothing more than the tawdry accoutrments of
    > cheap, geriatric Latvian whore, do you feel you deserve better?

    Hey! Watch the "geriatric" - that's almost defamatory. And your
    spell-checker is off.
    Otter, Jan 28, 2007
  12. handogg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Jurug the ghoul-stake-driver <>
    > typed:
    >> WhzzKdd <> Thou hot-headed fellow o' th'
    >> strangest mind i' th' world. Thou insignificant punk. Thou lying
    >> dissembling knight. Thou floor-licking nut. Ye clanged and ye
    >> prompted:

    >>> Paid? Insults are the best one can expect here.

    >> Given the techno-voodoo bullshit you dole out, and given your posting
    >> name, which amounts to nothing more than the tawdry accoutrments of
    >> cheap, geriatric Latvian whore, do you feel you deserve better?

    > Hey! Watch the "geriatric" - that's almost defamatory. And your
    > spell-checker is off.

    (That's not the only thing that's "off".)
    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007
  13. handogg

    Otter Guest

    In news:UxVuh.466$,
    WhzzKdd <> typed:
    > Otter wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Jurug the ghoul-stake-driver <>
    >> typed:
    >>> WhzzKdd <> Thou hot-headed fellow o' th'
    >>> strangest mind i' th' world. Thou insignificant punk. Thou lying
    >>> dissembling knight. Thou floor-licking nut. Ye clanged and ye
    >>> prompted:

    >>> Given the techno-voodoo bullshit you dole out, and given your
    >>> posting name, which amounts to nothing more than the tawdry
    >>> accoutrments of cheap, geriatric Latvian whore, do you feel you
    >>> deserve better?

    >> Hey! Watch the "geriatric" - that's almost defamatory. And your
    >> spell-checker is off.

    > (That's not the only thing that's "off".)

    Yes, but no-one gets hurt on Usenet, and anyone is free to ignore anything
    they don't like, killfile posters they don't like, join in or not, etc. And
    it's free.
    Otter, Jan 28, 2007
  14. handogg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > In news:UxVuh.466$,
    > WhzzKdd <> typed:
    >> Otter wrote:
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Jurug the ghoul-stake-driver <>
    >>> typed:

    >>> Hey! Watch the "geriatric" - that's almost defamatory. And your
    >>> spell-checker is off.

    >> (That's not the only thing that's "off".)

    > Yes, but no-one gets hurt on Usenet, and anyone is free to ignore
    > anything they don't like, killfile posters they don't like, join in
    > or not, etc. And it's free.

    Yup. And for the price, a great source of amusement <g>
    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007
  15. handogg

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Re: is this incest???

    WhzzKdd <> Thou silly gentleman. Thou
    self-centred, boring rogue. Thou enemy inveterate. Thou floor-licking,
    bigheaded abject drudge. Ye denunciated and ye strained out:

    WhzzKdd, Jan 28, 2007
  16. handogg

    PeeCee Guest

    "Otter" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed:
    >> On 27 Jan 2007 14:19:21 -0800, handogg wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 3 WD 500GB Western digital hard Drives. Using a Via VT6421
    >>> PCI sata card, I received normal working operation from my drives.

    >> See what happens when not RTFM.

    > See what happens if you "fix" something that ain't broken. (There should
    > be a list somewhere of the Ten Commandments of PC management.)

    1 Thou shalt back up your data
    2 Thou shalt Read the Manual, use 'Help' or Google 'before' you ring
    support
    3 That pop up warning is there for a reason 'READ IT'
    4 "You" are responsible for remembering your passwords
    5 Keep "all" the documentation & media that came with your purchase.
    6 Thou shalt not ring a PC repairman out of hours, it's your problem not
    theirs
    7 Practise safe Hex, install and maintain both anti virus and anti
    spyware programs
    8 If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    9 Remember what you did last, that is probably why it went wrong.
    10 There is 'no' magic one click fix it button.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 28, 2007
  17. handogg

    Otter Guest

    In news:ephi4o$rtc$,
    PeeCee <> typed:
    > "Otter" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed:

    >>> See what happens when not RTFM.

    >> See what happens if you "fix" something that ain't broken. (There
    >> should be a list somewhere of the Ten Commandments of PC management.)

    > 1 Thou shalt back up your data
    > 2 Thou shalt Read the Manual, use 'Help' or Google 'before' you
    > ring support
    > 3 That pop up warning is there for a reason 'READ IT'
    > 4 "You" are responsible for remembering your passwords
    > 5 Keep "all" the documentation & media that came with your
    > purchase. 6 Thou shalt not ring a PC repairman out of hours, it's
    > your problem not theirs
    > 7 Practise safe Hex, install and maintain both anti virus and anti
    > spyware programs
    > 8 If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    > 9 Remember what you did last, that is probably why it went wrong.
    > 10 There is 'no' magic one click fix it button.

    Looks good, but shouldn't there be something about food, beverages and
    bodily substances?
    Otter, Jan 28, 2007
  18. handogg

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:52:45 +1100, Otter wrote:

    >In news:,
    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed:
    >> On 27 Jan 2007 14:19:21 -0800, handogg wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 3 WD 500GB Western digital hard Drives. Using a Via VT6421
    >>> PCI sata card, I received normal working operation from my drives.

    >> See what happens when not RTFM.

    >See what happens if you "fix" something that ain't broken. (There should be
    >a list somewhere of the Ten Commandments of PC management.)

    LOL, the 1st would be less users, but then as someone at work pointed
    out, less work , less jobs :)

    Me
    why?, Jan 28, 2007
  19. handogg

    why? Guest

    On 27 Jan 2007 20:02:46 -0800, handogg wrote:

    >Dear "Why"
    >
    >Thank You so much for recommending runtime.org. it looks like things
    >will work out for me. I'm curious, do you reply to these messages
    >using your own free time or are you paid to do so?

    All the 24HSHD is at home. The really hard stuff is done at work :)

    Use www.google.com to find out.

    >Thanks!!

    Me
    why?, Jan 28, 2007
  20. handogg

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:08:06 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

    >"Otter" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed:

    >>> See what happens when not RTFM.

    >> See what happens if you "fix" something that ain't broken. (There should
    >> be a list somewhere of the Ten Commandments of PC management.)

    >1 Thou shalt back up your data

    1a. Multiple backups and test to make sure you can recover data.

    why?, Jan 28, 2007