    I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
    it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
    swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

    Spuds, Dec 18, 2005

  2. Spuds

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Spuds spewed forth:
    > I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone
    > know if it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is
    > it a straight swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this
    > enclosure? TIA.

    Why? At the low cost of a new enclosure on eBay, just get a new enclosure
    and you'll have *two* nice external drives...

    But realistically, a larger capacity drive is unlikely to run hotter than
    the existing drive. Whether or not the electronics in the enclosure will
    know how to handle the larger drive is a technical question that only Maxtor
    can probably answer (unless someone has actually done it and knows whether
    or not it works.)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Spuds

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Spuds
    <> wrote:

    > I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
    > it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
    > swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

    You need to know if the support circuits of the case will handle the
    larger size.

    Mitch, Dec 18, 2005
  4. Spuds

    Spuds Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:32:51 GMT, Mitch <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Spuds
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
    >> it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
    >> swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

    >You need to know if the support circuits of the case will handle the
    >larger size.

    That's what I was wondering. Was hoping someone had gone this route before.

    Spuds, Dec 18, 2005
  5. Spuds

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:45:23 -0800, "Toolman Tim" <>
    wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Spuds spewed forth:
    >> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone
    >> know if it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is
    >> it a straight swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this
    >> enclosure? TIA.

    >Why? At the low cost of a new enclosure on eBay, just get a new enclosure
    >and you'll have *two* nice external drives...

    You're probably right, and darned if this doesn't raise another question.
    External enclosures can be had with or without cooling fans. Which would you
    buy? I'd prefer the lower noise level, but not at the expense of a
    prematurely baked HD. Is passive cooling enough?

    Spuds, Dec 18, 2005
  6. Spuds

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Spuds spewed forth:
    > On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:45:23 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> Spuds spewed forth:
    >>> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone
    >>> know if it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is
    >>> it a straight swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this
    >>> enclosure? TIA.

    >> Why? At the low cost of a new enclosure on eBay, just get a new
    >> enclosure and you'll have *two* nice external drives...

    > You're probably right, and darned if this doesn't raise another
    > question. External enclosures can be had with or without cooling
    > fans. Which would you buy? I'd prefer the lower noise level, but
    > not at the expense of a prematurely baked HD. Is passive cooling
    > enough?

    Probably passive cooling is fine. Most HDs don't run excessively hot. If an
    enclosure needs a fan, I'd expect it's for the electronics, not the drive.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 18, 2005
  7. Spuds

    Guest

    Been there, done it.

    As long as both drives are the same (ie: Two IDE drives or Two SATA
    drives, or Two SCSI drives) then it will work without any modification.

    As for heat, if the enclosure is plastic, make sure you never put it in
    any compartment or have anything over it. If the snclosure is aluminium
    then you'll be 100% fine.

    However, I agree that you should just get a new enclosure, for $30 you
    can keep both external drives, or you can install the old 80 in your
    PC, or the new 200.... either way, it's all generally universal.

    , Dec 18, 2005
  8. Spuds

    Spuds Guest

    On 18 Dec 2005 15:10:19 -0800, wrote:

    >Been there, done it.
    >
    >As long as both drives are the same (ie: Two IDE drives or Two SATA
    >drives, or Two SCSI drives) then it will work without any modification.
    >
    >As for heat, if the enclosure is plastic, make sure you never put it in
    >any compartment or have anything over it. If the snclosure is aluminium
    >then you'll be 100% fine.
    >
    >However, I agree that you should just get a new enclosure, for $30 you
    >can keep both external drives, or you can install the old 80 in your
    >PC, or the new 200.... either way, it's all generally universal.

    Thanks for your insights. I think I'll be going the aluminum/fanless
    enclosure route.

    Spuds, Dec 19, 2005
  9. Spuds

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:26:59 -0500, Spuds <> wrote:

    > I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
    >it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
    >swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

    As a followup for anyone thinking of doing this, the word from Maxtor:

    "The drive inside your 5000LE enclosure is a normal ATA drive so it should be
    fine to replace the ATA drive inside that enclosure. However, Maxtor does not
    support or recommend doing this. Additionally, the enclosure for your 5000LE
    uses 28-bit LBA so the largest drive it can support is 137 GB."

    Spuds, Jan 13, 2006
  10. Spuds

    old jon Guest

    "Spuds" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:26:59 -0500, Spuds <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
    >>it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
    >>swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

    > As a followup for anyone thinking of doing this, the word from Maxtor:
    >
    > "The drive inside your 5000LE enclosure is a normal ATA drive so it should
    > be
    > fine to replace the ATA drive inside that enclosure. However, Maxtor does
    > not
    > support or recommend doing this. Additionally, the enclosure for your
    > 5000LE
    > uses 28-bit LBA so the largest drive it can support is 137 GB."

    Hi Spuds. You could stick your new drive into your computer, as a slave.
    Format it into 2 partitions of 100GB.
    Then try it in your Enclosure..Of course, you didn`t say what OS you use.
    tut tut.
    best wishes..Oj

    old jon, Jan 13, 2006
  11. Spuds

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:59:19 GMT, "old jon" <>
    wrote:

    >"Spuds" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:26:59 -0500, Spuds <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a 5000LE 80GB external USB drive from Maxtor. Does anyone know if
    >>>it's possible to throw a 200GB drive in this enclosure? Is it a straight
    >>>swap? Will a newer drive be too hot for this enclosure? TIA.

    >> As a followup for anyone thinking of doing this, the word from Maxtor:
    >>
    >> "The drive inside your 5000LE enclosure is a normal ATA drive so it should
    >> be
    >> fine to replace the ATA drive inside that enclosure. However, Maxtor does
    >> not
    >> support or recommend doing this. Additionally, the enclosure for your
    >> 5000LE
    >> uses 28-bit LBA so the largest drive it can support is 137 GB."
    >>

    >Hi Spuds. You could stick your new drive into your computer, as a slave.
    >Format it into 2 partitions of 100GB.
    >Then try it in your Enclosure..Of course, you didn`t say what OS you use.
    >tut tut.
    >best wishes..Oj

    In my case, it turned out to be a rhetorical question. Tinkerer that I am, I
    was just pathologically curious as to whether I could use the Maxtor enclosure
    for another drive. The original drive hasn't died yet. <g>

    I was just updating anyone who was interested as to my finding. Thanks for
    the suggestion though.

    Spuds, Jan 13, 2006
  12. Spuds

    exciton Guest

    I am thinking about upgrading the hard drive also. But, do you know an
    easy way to take off the housing? Thankx

    exciton, Feb 4, 2006