5000 free phone lines from Orcon

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Squiggle, Aug 10, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Squiggle

    RL Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/Article511.phtml
    >
    > the abridged version..
    > 20Gb Dsl plan
    > Unlimited calling within NZ (landlines)
    > $80/month


    So, in other words, it is no cheaper than what we were getting from Telecom.

    Looking at their phone charges, it is $44.95 a month for the basic phone
    service, $59.95 per month for a few extras, and $40 more per month if
    you want unlimited national AND international calls to 30 destinations,
    with a one hour cap! This all on top of your Internet charges.

    Meanwhile, you can go to 2Talk, and get a VoIP account with unlimited
    calls to 40 international destinations, more features, and no idiotic
    call length caps, for $30 per month. Sure, you need to use your Internet
    connection for this, but given the amount due to Telecom after the
    unbundling is only about $20 per month per account, how the hell can
    Orcon be justifying $99.95 for a comparable phone service?

    RL
     
    RL, Aug 10, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising


  3. > So, in other words, it is no cheaper than what we were getting from
    > Telecom.
    >
    > Looking at their phone charges, it is $44.95 a month for the basic phone
    > service, $59.95 per month for a few extras, and $40 more per month if you
    > want unlimited national AND international calls to 30 destinations, with a
    > one hour cap! This all on top of your Internet charges.


    I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans. the
    new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to have and
    are on Orcon's website now.

    >
    > Meanwhile, you can go to 2Talk, and get a VoIP account with unlimited
    > calls to 40 international destinations, more features, and no idiotic call
    > length caps, for $30 per month. Sure, you need to use your Internet
    > connection for this, but given the amount due to Telecom after the
    > unbundling is only about $20 per month per account, how the hell can Orcon
    > be justifying $99.95 for a comparable phone service?


    You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use your
    VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are before naked
    DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and before they offer VOIP
    so prices are coming down in the future.

    Thanks
     
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 10, 2007
    #3
  4. Squiggle

    RL Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans. the
    > new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to have and
    > are on Orcon's website now.


    I most certainly did read it.

    > You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use your
    > VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are before naked
    > DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and before they offer VOIP
    > so prices are coming down in the future.


    I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles,
    not the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free
    for 12 months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls
    are a maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they
    exceed the limits.

    Ignoring the cost of the line, Orcon charges $15 per month for a few
    extra phone features, $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
    national calls, and $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
    international calls (to 30 destinations!). If you want them all, that is
    $45 on EXTRA services that have nothing to do with line rental. If you
    compare that to 2Talk, where for a TOTAL of $30 per month, you get many
    more phone features, AND uncapped (not time limited) national, AND
    international (not time limited, to 40 destinations), then it shows how
    over-priced Orcon really is.

    I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
    international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
    free and don't count towards this.

    RL
     
    RL, Aug 10, 2007
    #4
  5. RL wrote:
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans.
    >> the new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to
    >> have and are on Orcon's website now.

    >
    > I most certainly did read it.
    >
    >> You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use
    >> your VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are
    >> before naked DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and
    >> before they offer VOIP so prices are coming down in the future.

    >
    > I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles,
    > not the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free
    > for 12 months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls
    > are a maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they
    > exceed the limits.
    >
    > Ignoring the cost of the line, Orcon charges $15 per month for a few
    > extra phone features, $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
    > national calls, and $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
    > international calls (to 30 destinations!). If you want them all, that is
    > $45 on EXTRA services that have nothing to do with line rental. If you
    > compare that to 2Talk, where for a TOTAL of $30 per month, you get many
    > more phone features, AND uncapped (not time limited) national, AND
    > international (not time limited, to 40 destinations), then it shows how
    > over-priced Orcon really is.
    >
    > I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
    > international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
    > free and don't count towards this.
    >
    > RL


    I think a greater concern here (not to say there is anything wrong with
    Orcons plans) is how many customers realize that they loose the
    protection of the Kiwi share the minute they take up line provision from
    anyone else!

    This means that the charges can vary as the provider feels inclined, and
    there is no protection other than voting with your feet and going back
    to Telescum. That of course raises the question are telescum obliged to
    take you back as a customer!
     
    collector«NZ, Aug 11, 2007
    #5
  6. Squiggle

    Mutley Guest

    Squiggle <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/Article511.phtml
    >
    >the abridged version..
    >20Gb Dsl plan
    >Unlimited calling within NZ (landlines)
    >$80/month


    I wonder what their 20Gig a month plan is?? Zero Shock or full 20Gig
    no questions asked??
     
    Mutley, Aug 11, 2007
    #6
  7. Squiggle

    Mutley Guest

    collector«NZ <> wrote:

    >RL wrote:
    >> Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>> I presume you have not read the new story or looked at the new plans.
    >>> the new $79.90 plans are new compared to the old Plans Orcon used to
    >>> have and are on Orcon's website now.

    >>
    >> I most certainly did read it.
    >>
    >>> You still need say a DSL Broadband Connection and a Phone line to use
    >>> your VOIP connection. Remember these prices Orcon are offering are
    >>> before naked DSL/LLU has come into affect for commercial use and
    >>> before they offer VOIP so prices are coming down in the future.

    >>
    >> I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles,
    >> not the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free
    >> for 12 months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls
    >> are a maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they
    >> exceed the limits.
    >>
    >> Ignoring the cost of the line, Orcon charges $15 per month for a few
    >> extra phone features, $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
    >> national calls, and $20 per month for unlimited (time limited!)
    >> international calls (to 30 destinations!). If you want them all, that is
    >> $45 on EXTRA services that have nothing to do with line rental. If you
    >> compare that to 2Talk, where for a TOTAL of $30 per month, you get many
    >> more phone features, AND uncapped (not time limited) national, AND
    >> international (not time limited, to 40 destinations), then it shows how
    >> over-priced Orcon really is.
    >>
    >> I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
    >> international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
    >> free and don't count towards this.
    >>
    >> RL

    >
    >I think a greater concern here (not to say there is anything wrong with
    >Orcons plans) is how many customers realize that they loose the
    >protection of the Kiwi share the minute they take up line provision from
    >anyone else!
    >
    >This means that the charges can vary as the provider feels inclined, and
    >there is no protection other than voting with your feet and going back
    >to Telescum. That of course raises the question are telescum obliged to
    >take you back as a customer!


    I think that the Kiwi Share is dead in the water with LLU and naked
    DSL who ever you stay or go with..
     
    Mutley, Aug 11, 2007
    #7
  8. >
    > I am looking purely at the cost of your phone services by themsevles, not
    > the special offer. The phone service with that offer is only free for 12
    > months, so thereafter normal charges will apply. Also, the calls are a
    > maximum of one hour, which means more charges for the user if they exceed
    > the limits.


    I am not talking for Orcon, but for myself

    >
    > I don't make many calls, so I get 500 minutes of calling (national or
    > international) for a total of $15 per month. Local calls are of course
    > free and don't count towards this.
    >


    All true, but you are talking about a VOIP service compared to a PSTN
    service which really cannot be compared at the moment. Your power goes off ,
    no phone unless you add on your end a UPS. 111 calls? Its a best effort
    service. You are limited to your DSL or whatever you run it over which may
    or not be good.+ other factors.

    If you are with IHUG for example you may pay $41 for phone line, $30 for
    broadband 1 plan, + your $15 for 2talk500 via 2talk for voip ($86) (or why
    not just use IHUG for the phone calls to reduce the base cost by $15?)

    Compared to phoneline,BB,phone service @ ORCON for $79.95 and you get alot
    more data for internet use (20G compared to 1G), and your phone is not
    affected by downloading fast.

    If you want to compare the single costs of the products, yes 2talk is
    cheaper for the phone service part of it, but as I said it is comparing a
    PSTN vs a VOIP solution.

    Thanks
    Craig
     
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 11, 2007
    #8
  9. Craig Whitmore, Aug 11, 2007
    #9
  10. Squiggle

    Mutley Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    >
    >>
    >> I wonder what their 20Gig a month plan is?? Zero Shock or full 20Gig
    >> no questions asked??

    >
    >Its 20G and then $10 per 5G as normal non zero shock.
    >
    >See: http://www.orcon.net.nz/informme/service,blog/category,85/item,416/
    >
    >Thanks
    >

    Thanx Craig,

    At home we also have CLID, voicemail and call Waiting plus two
    Telecom cell phones that have their calls billed back to home line. Is
    this covered in the new plan for now and into the future beyond the 12
    months??

    Also SIP VOIP phone line service . When ??
     
    Mutley, Aug 12, 2007
    #10
  11. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    >
    > At home we also have CLID, voicemail and call Waiting plus two
    > Telecom cell phones that have their calls billed back to home line. Is
    > this covered in the new plan for now and into the future beyond the 12
    > months??


    No, you still have to pay the absurdly high charges for all the
    additional services on the wholesaled phoneline

    Makes a total mockery of the pricing when italk, 2talk, vfx etc have all
    of the useful ones included in the low monthly prices.

    I think that once we see the isps putting their own ATA's in the
    exchanges to serve customers that there will be some realistic pricing
    on all the addon services that currently can add $20-30 to the already
    high cost of having a telecom line.
     
    Richard, Aug 12, 2007
    #11
  12. > At home we also have CLID, voicemail and call Waiting plus two
    > Telecom cell phones that have their calls billed back to home line. Is
    > this covered in the new plan for now and into the future beyond the 12
    > months??


    CLID,VM and CW can be added on. Orcon in the Media have said they will be
    offering cell phones sometime .

    >
    > Also SIP VOIP phone line service . When ??


    When it is released.

    Thanks
    Craig
     
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 12, 2007
    #12

  13. >
    > Makes a total mockery of the pricing when italk, 2talk, vfx etc have all
    > of the useful ones included in the low monthly prices.
    >

    But you need broadband for a VOIP service and with most ppl this would be
    DSL in various forms and you need a phone line for DSL which you can make
    calls from.
    So the total cost of going via italk,2talk,vfx (VOIP) increases. Also add
    the cost of the UPS on the customer end incase the power goes off for the
    VOIP customers + other stuff

    Thanks
     
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 12, 2007
    #13
  14. Squiggle

    Richard Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> Makes a total mockery of the pricing when italk, 2talk, vfx etc have all
    >> of the useful ones included in the low monthly prices.
    >>

    > But you need broadband for a VOIP service and with most ppl this would be
    > DSL in various forms and you need a phone line for DSL which you can make
    > calls from.
    > So the total cost of going via italk,2talk,vfx (VOIP) increases. Also add
    > the cost of the UPS on the customer end incase the power goes off for the
    > VOIP customers + other stuff


    Have cellphone, landline is just a cheaper thing for people to call me
    on, so thats not an issue, no ups needed, and with how unreliable our
    dynajunk router is, relying on a dsl connection for critical services is
    hardly viable ;) Mind you it was the free one that the flatmate got from
    orcon.

    I was refering to the way over the top charges that telecom have for
    services like caller id and voicemail on a landline hopefully being
    dropped to the levels that italk etc charge for them. The only reason
    telecom get away with $4 a month for services is because thats what
    people will pay for them, when others get their kit in the exchange
    building and are offering them for free, I expect telecom to match it,
    most likly on an exchange by exchange basis like they screwed
    telstraclear for pricing in wellington and chch.
     
    Richard, Aug 12, 2007
    #14
  15. Squiggle

    Mutlley Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    >> At home we also have CLID, voicemail and call Waiting plus two
    >> Telecom cell phones that have their calls billed back to home line. Is
    >> this covered in the new plan for now and into the future beyond the 12
    >> months??

    >
    >CLID,VM and CW can be added on. Orcon in the Media have said they will be
    >offering cell phones sometime .
    >
    >>
    >> Also SIP VOIP phone line service . When ??

    >
    >When it is released.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Craig
    >


    Thanx. regarding SIP. I'd be interested in trialing it when you get
    to the trial stage. PM me at the hotmail address when that comes..
     
    Mutlley, Aug 12, 2007
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Modems, Analog Lines and ... Electrical Lines?

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Aug 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,042
  2. ubifone
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    4,419
    ubifone
    Jul 29, 2005
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    463
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    400
Loading...

Share This Page