$500.00 recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by joe mama, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. joe mama

    joe mama Guest

    hi,

    okay, i want to plunge a little deeper into the digital realm, after toying
    around with a 4mp P&S for a year or two. what i am trying to decide is if i
    should get a high-end P&S (7 to 8 mprange), or a year or so old 6mp dslr,
    that will still be in good condition.

    i do have secific needs in cameras. i will be doing shoots with studio
    lights, so an aceptable hot shoe or pc sync is a must. i lso want as much
    manual overrides as possible. i am from the FE FM2 school of photos, so i
    know how to use one. the canon i now use (G3) has many features i love, but
    it just sux at focusing, so it's time to move on. the adjustable flash, and
    manual modes were good though.

    cameras i was thinking of are:

    Canon G6 (if it doesn't have the G3 bugs)
    Casio EX-P700 nice camera, but no RAW...another prerequisite
    Nikon D100, or D50. These almost seem attainable in my price range, and are
    full DSLRs.
    Sony DSC-V3 very nice looking camera, but not from a "real" camera maker.

    okay, so someone help me out. don't add to his list, because i have already
    self-edited soem other brands and models.

    keep in mind too, that i am thinking of using this for a couple of years,
    the getting a super-high MP DSLR.

    thanks,
    gk

    joe mama, Apr 17, 2006

  2. joe mama

    Cheesehead Guest

    Today there are DSLR cameras in your price class.
    You can now get a Pentax *istDL for around $400.
    Maybe less if you shop around.
    Just add a suitable starter zoom and increase your versatility.
    Or add the short 40mm pancake lens for compactness.

    Collin
    KC8TKA

    Cheesehead, Apr 17, 2006

  3. joe mama

    Bill Guest

    joe mama wrote:

    >okay, i want to plunge a little deeper into the digital realm, after toying
    >around with a 4mp P&S for a year or two. what i am trying to decide is if i
    >should get a high-end P&S (7 to 8 mprange), or a year or so old 6mp dslr,
    >that will still be in good condition.
    >
    >cameras i was thinking of are:
    >
    >Canon G6 (if it doesn't have the G3 bugs)
    >Casio EX-P700 nice camera, but no RAW...another prerequisite
    >Nikon D100, or D50. These almost seem attainable in my price range, and are
    >full DSLRs.
    >Sony DSC-V3 very nice looking camera, but not from a "real" camera maker.
    >
    >keep in mind too, that i am thinking of using this for a couple of years,
    >the getting a super-high MP DSLR.

    First I'm curious why you feel you need more megapixels? 6-8mp is plenty
    for most cameras and shooting needs, unless you want to crop heavily.
    The only reason I would consider 12+mp is for a full frame sensor. Even
    the new Nikon D200 with 10mp is overkill on a APS sized sensor, but I
    guess they had to make the jump to compete against Canon in the numbers
    game.

    Personally, I'd go with one of the used DSLR's and get used to them
    since you intend to get a high-end model in a couple of years. The used
    D100 has a few more features and controls, but the D50 has better image
    quality. Neither has a built-in PC Sync, but can easily be added via the
    hot shoe.

    Bill, Apr 17, 2006