    now, 50 years later...
    it's video
    and the rage is HIDEF

    philo, Feb 6, 2008

  2. philo

    VanguardLH Guest

    "philo" wrote in message
    news:...
    > 1958
    > it was audio...
    > and the rage was HIFI
    >
    > 2008
    > now, 50 years later...
    > it's video
    > and the rage is HIDEF

    What makes you think HDV is something new in 2008? HDV was developed
    5 years ago with Sony coming out with a HDV camera in Sep 2004 and
    Canon a year later. 1080p showed up sometime in 2006. It has been a
    growing standard adopted by consumers mostly by manufacturers wanting
    to add something new to qualify maintaining higher prices. That's
    what happens when new stuff comes out that is overpriced: not until it
    hits a price point where non-videophile consumers are willing to pay
    for it will it start taking off. There was no instant rage for
    adoption in just the last month. That you woke up from a coma and
    just found out about HDV hardly makes it a rage attributed to 37-day
    old year of 2008.

    VanguardLH, Feb 6, 2008

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" wrote in message
    > > 1958
    > > it was audio...
    > > and the rage was HIFI
    > >
    > > 2008
    > > now, 50 years later...
    > > it's video
    > > and the rage is HIDEF

    > What makes you think HDV is something new in 2008? HDV was developed
    > 5 years ago with Sony coming out with a HDV camera in Sep 2004 and
    > Canon a year later. 1080p showed up sometime in 2006. It has been a
    > growing standard adopted by consumers mostly by manufacturers wanting
    > to add something new to qualify maintaining higher prices. That's
    > what happens when new stuff comes out that is overpriced: not until it
    > hits a price point where non-videophile consumers are willing to pay
    > for it will it start taking off. There was no instant rage for
    > adoption in just the last month. That you woke up from a coma and
    > just found out about HDV hardly makes it a rage attributed to 37-day
    > old year of 2008.

    nor was HIFI new in 1958

    it was just a general reference

    philo, Feb 6, 2008
  4. philo

    meerkat Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> "philo" wrote in message
    >> > 1958
    >> > it was audio...
    >> > and the rage was HIFI
    >> >
    >> > 2008
    >> > now, 50 years later...
    >> > it's video
    >> > and the rage is HIDEF

    >> What makes you think HDV is something new in 2008? HDV was developed
    >> 5 years ago with Sony coming out with a HDV camera in Sep 2004 and
    >> Canon a year later. 1080p showed up sometime in 2006. It has been a
    >> growing standard adopted by consumers mostly by manufacturers wanting
    >> to add something new to qualify maintaining higher prices. That's
    >> what happens when new stuff comes out that is overpriced: not until
    >> it
    >> hits a price point where non-videophile consumers are willing to pay
    >> for it will it start taking off. There was no instant rage for
    >> adoption in just the last month. That you woke up from a coma and
    >> just found out about HDV hardly makes it a rage attributed to 37-day
    >> old year of 2008.
    >>

    > nor was HIFI new in 1958
    >
    > it was just a general reference

    In the order you named them P.
    Something came to mind. (I am a bit weird <g>.)

    Audio = Hear no evil.
    Video = See no evil.
    ????? = Speak no evil.
    Perhaps people will be nicer to each other when ???? happens.
    bw..

    meerkat, Feb 6, 2008
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > > nor was HIFI new in 1958
    > >
    > > it was just a general reference
    > >

    > In the order you named them P.
    > Something came to mind. (I am a bit weird <g>.)
    >
    > Audio = Hear no evil.
    > Video = See no evil.
    > ????? = Speak no evil.
    > Perhaps people will be nicer to each other when ???? happens.
    > bw..

    When sound was added to movies...
    they were called "talkies"

    maybe that's it..

    I am not old enough to remember that one though !

    philo, Feb 6, 2008
  6. VanguardLH wrote:

    > "philo" wrote in message
    >> 1958
    >> it was audio...
    >> and the rage was HIFI
    >>
    >> 2008
    >> now, 50 years later...
    >> it's video
    >> and the rage is HIDEF

    > What makes you think HDV is something new in 2008? HDV was
    > developed 5 years ago with Sony coming out with a HDV camera in
    > Sep 2004 and Canon a year later. 1080p showed up sometime in
    > 2006. It has been a growing standard adopted by consumers
    > mostly by manufacturers wanting to add something new to qualify
    > maintaining higher prices. That's what happens when new stuff
    > comes out that is overpriced: not until it hits a price point
    > where non-videophile consumers are willing to pay for it will it
    > start taking off. There was no instant rage for adoption in
    > just the last month. That you woke up from a coma and just
    > found out about HDV hardly makes it a rage attributed to 37-day
    > old year of 2008.

    Dude, it was just a rough reference. Chill.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 6, 2008
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    > > "philo" wrote in message
    > >> 1958
    > >> it was audio...
    > >> and the rage was HIFI
    > >>
    > >> 2008
    > >> now, 50 years later...
    > >> it's video
    > >> and the rage is HIDEF

    > > What makes you think HDV is something new in 2008? HDV was
    > > developed 5 years ago with Sony coming out with a HDV camera in
    > > Sep 2004 and Canon a year later. 1080p showed up sometime in
    > > 2006. It has been a growing standard adopted by consumers
    > > mostly by manufacturers wanting to add something new to qualify
    > > maintaining higher prices. That's what happens when new stuff
    > > comes out that is overpriced: not until it hits a price point
    > > where non-videophile consumers are willing to pay for it will it
    > > start taking off. There was no instant rage for adoption in
    > > just the last month. That you woke up from a coma and just
    > > found out about HDV hardly makes it a rage attributed to 37-day
    > > old year of 2008.

    > Dude, it was just a rough reference. Chill.

    HIFI was invented *precisely* on December 2nd, 1933 at 10:57 am EST
    but I did not post the exact date as there is some dispute as to whether or
    not it was 10:57 and 33 seconds
    or 10:57 and 33.33 seconds...so I though i'd just throw up some approximate
    figures so as not to create an argument.

    The real problem was with HIDEF
    as we are talking microseconds. <G>

    philo, Feb 6, 2008
  8. philo

    Rôgêr Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:

    > What makes you think HDV is something new in 2008? HDV was developed 5
    > years ago with Sony coming out with a HDV camera in Sep 2004 and Canon a
    > year later. <snip>

    Zenith released their first HDTV receiver in 1999 and a 64 inch wide
    screen HDTV. They were spendy, but excellent. Back in 1996 the FCC
    accepted Zenith's HDTV technology as being the standard for the US
    market. Zenith gets paid a royalty for every HDTV that's marketed in the
    states.
    http://ultimateavmag.com/hdtvsattuners/115/

    Rôgêr, Feb 7, 2008
  9. philo

    VanguardLH Guest

    "philo" wrote in message

    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> "philo" wrote ...

    >>> What makes you think HDV is something new in 2008? ...

    > HIFI was invented *precisely* on December 2nd, 1933 ...

    Yep, a 25 year discrepency in the 50-year analogy. That's, um,
    "general", for sure. An equal modicum of such generality and the
    analogy becomes Hi-Fi was the rage the day before HDV.

    VanguardLH, Feb 7, 2008
  10. philo

    nobody Guest

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 01:29:55 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:

    >"philo" wrote in message

    >> HIFI was invented *precisely* on December 2nd, 1933 ...

    >Yep, a 25 year discrepency in the 50-year analogy. That's, um,
    >"general", for sure. An equal modicum of such generality and the
    >analogy becomes Hi-Fi was the rage the day before HDV.

    plonk....what an asshole

    moonface

    Unleash The Fury....

    nobody, Feb 7, 2008
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    > > HIFI was invented *precisely* on December 2nd, 1933 ...

    > Yep, a 25 year discrepency in the 50-year analogy. That's, um,
    > "general", for sure. An equal modicum of such generality and the
    > analogy becomes Hi-Fi was the rage the day before HDV.

    eer
    i just made that up...
    i though it would have been fairly obvious

    sheesh !

    philo, Feb 7, 2008
  12. philo

    Rôgêr Guest

    philo wrote:
    >>> HIFI was invented *precisely* on December 2nd, 1933 ...

    >> Yep, a 25 year discrepency in the 50-year analogy. That's, um,
    >> "general", for sure. An equal modicum of such generality and the
    >> analogy becomes Hi-Fi was the rage the day before HDV.
    >>

    > eer
    > i just made that up...
    > i though it would have been fairly obvious
    >
    > sheesh !

    In this group you could post a one word message like "black" and an
    argument would ensue. Or post the numeral "7" and you'll get a dozen
    answers that no, it's "42" as any idiot can see.

    Rôgêr, Feb 7, 2008
  13. philo

    VanguardLH Guest

    <nobody> wrote in message

    > plonk....what an asshole

    Not many friends has this guy, and he wasn't even the target. God
    forbid his friends ever yank his chain. Reminds me of the
    oh-so-very-serious manager whose neighbors thought he was a quiet
    neighbor with no problems when the reporters are inquiring about his
    mass murder of his family in his house. Sproing! There goes his last
    bit of control because someone didn't put the milk back in the fridge.

    This is Usenet. It is an anarchy. Get used to ridicule. If you have
    a thin-skinned ego, don't visit here. Some of you folks are just too
    easy to intimidate. Philo, at least, stuck it out.

    VanguardLH, Feb 8, 2008
  14. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > > eer
    > > i just made that up...
    > > i though it would have been fairly obvious
    > >
    > > sheesh !

    > In this group you could post a one word message like "black" and an
    > argument would ensue. Or post the numeral "7" and you'll get a dozen
    > answers that no, it's "42" as any idiot can see.

    Yes...complete anarchy <G>

    That's why I like this group

    BTW: It's neither "7" or "42" just so you know <G>

    philo, Feb 8, 2008
  15. philo

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 07:01:41 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> >
    >> > eer
    >> > i just made that up...
    >> > i though it would have been fairly obvious
    >> >
    >> > sheesh !

    >> In this group you could post a one word message like "black" and an
    >> argument would ensue. Or post the numeral "7" and you'll get a dozen
    >> answers that no, it's "42" as any idiot can see.

    >Yes...complete anarchy <G>
    >
    >That's why I like this group

    Would you *please* stop snipping the attributes?

    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote1.html#ss1.1

    >BTW: It's neither "7" or "42" just so you know <G>

    It's 42. Just 42. Now, find the question.

    --
    Of course I'm right, I'm the operator. I'm not only right,
    I'm wrong ifI want to be as well.

    Mara, Feb 8, 2008
  16. philo

    philo Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 07:01:41 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:
    >

    > ><snip>

    > >> In this group you could post a one word message like "black" and an
    > >> argument would ensue. Or post the numeral "7" and you'll get a dozen
    > >> answers that no, it's "42" as any idiot can see.

    > >Yes...complete anarchy <G>
    > >
    > >That's why I like this group

    > Would you *please* stop snipping the attributes?
    >
    > http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote1.html#ss1.1
    >
    > >BTW: It's neither "7" or "42" just so you know <G>

    > It's 42. Just 42. Now, find the question.

    Hmmm...I guess I just assumed everyone views the newsgroups as threaded.
    the only time anyone's complained before was on a BSD group where most of
    the folks were using CLI
    newsreaders.

    I also assumed no one was reading my posts anyway.

    And not only that...I happend to think the answer is something other than
    42...it's XXXXII

    philo, Feb 8, 2008
  17. philo

    Rôgêr Guest

    philo wrote:

    > And not only that...I happend to think the answer is something other than
    > 42...it's XXXXII

    You'd think that after this year's Superbowl everyone would know it's XLII.
    --
    See, told you you'd get an argument.

    Rôgêr, Feb 8, 2008
  18. philo

    philo Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > And not only that...I happend to think the answer is something other

    than
    > > 42...it's XXXXII

    > You'd think that after this year's Superbowl everyone would know it's

    XLII.
    > --
    > See, told you you'd get an argument.

    I'm a bit rusty on my Roman numerals...