.5 wide angle lens with macro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dohc46, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. dohc46

    dohc46 Guest

    Camera = Digital Rebel XT

    Ok, I realize that I may have the "low" quality .5 wide angle add on
    lens with macro; however the following 2 problems are so bad that i'm
    hoping its the operator.

    1) With the wide angle on the kit lens; the picture is sharp and in
    focus; however the whole edge of the picture is rounded. When I look
    out on the web of: "this is without a wide angle lens & this picture is
    with the wide angle lens"; I don't see any roundess in their pictures?

    2) First problem is minor compared to this one..... I assume to use
    the macro portion of the lens all I need to do is unscrew the wider
    part of the lens off. When I do that (so all that is attached to my
    kit lens is the skinny section labled "macro"); 100% out of focus no
    matter what I do: point close, point far, go to 18mm, go to 55mm,
    autozoom, manual zoom, change the setting to the "flower". Doesn't
    matter it's so bad, that the camera won't even take a picture (can't
    blame it, can't see anything through the viewfinder anyway). Any
    ideas....what fun to be the newbee.

    Thanks.

    dohc46, Jan 18, 2006

  2. dohc46

    Tesco News Guest

    "dohc46" <> wrote in message
    > Camera = Digital Rebel XT
    >
    > Ok, I realize that I may have the "low" quality .5 wide angle add on
    > lens with macro; however the following 2 problems are so bad that i'm
    > hoping its the operator.
    >
    > 1) With the wide angle on the kit lens; the picture is sharp and in
    > focus; however the whole edge of the picture is rounded. When I look
    > out on the web of: "this is without a wide angle lens & this picture is
    > with the wide angle lens"; I don't see any roundess in their pictures?
    >
    > 2) First problem is minor compared to this one..... I assume to use
    > the macro portion of the lens all I need to do is unscrew the wider
    > part of the lens off. When I do that (so all that is attached to my
    > kit lens is the skinny section labled "macro"); 100% out of focus no
    > matter what I do: point close, point far, go to 18mm, go to 55mm,
    > autozoom, manual zoom, change the setting to the "flower". Doesn't
    > matter it's so bad, that the camera won't even take a picture (can't
    > blame it, can't see anything through the viewfinder anyway). Any
    > ideas....what fun to be the newbee.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi.

    Sorry, I don't know any specific answers to your questions, other than to
    say that using "Add On" lenses rather defeats the whole purpose of SLR
    Cameras.

    You would get vastly better results using a Wide Angle lens, even if it was
    the very cheapest on the market.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Jan 18, 2006

  3. "dohc46" <> writes:
    >Camera = Digital Rebel XT

    >Ok, I realize that I may have the "low" quality .5 wide angle add on
    >lens with macro; however the following 2 problems are so bad that i'm
    >hoping its the operator.

    The basic problem is that screw-on wide angle attachements should not be
    used on a DSLR - period.

    Wide-angle attachment lenses are an optical compromise at best, and are
    typically designed to do their job on video cameras that have low
    resolution in the first place (so the adapter doesn't have to produce
    very sharp images) and have a small entrance pupil because the lens
    focal length is very short, which in turn is because the sensor is very
    small.

    Wide-angle attachments intended specifically for digital still cameras
    might give sharper images, but they're still designed to be used with
    short focal length main lenses.

    Your DSLR has a longer focal length lens with larger entrance pupil, and
    the add-on lens just isn't intended for use with it.

    The way you *are* intended to get a wide field of view on a DSLR is to
    change the lens completely to one with a shorter focal length. This
    will give far better results.

    Who sold you a wide angle add-on lens for a DSLR anyway? Don't go back
    there.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 19, 2006