5-Second Boot

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2009.

  1. Off an SSD. The reviewer managed 22 seconds off a hard drive.

    <http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/09/ubuntu-910-alpha-6-released-boot-optimizations-arrive.ars>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    news:h98tmh$1qd$...
    > Off an SSD. The reviewer managed 22 seconds off a hard drive.
    >
    > <http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/09/ubuntu-910-alpha-6-released-boot-optimizations-arrive.ars>

    Wow, that's fast.

    I can only manage 30 seconds here (well, a little sooner but it's not
    completely responsive until around 30), HP Mini 5101, Windows 7.
    Nik Coughlin, Sep 22, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <h992tl$t2i$-september.org>,
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >> > Off an SSD. The reviewer managed 22 seconds off a hard drive.
    >> >
    >> > <http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/09/ubuntu-910-alpha-6-relea
    >> > sed-boot-optimizations-arrive.ars>

    >> Wow, that's fast.
    >>
    >> I can only manage 30 seconds here (well, a little sooner but it's not
    >> completely responsive until around 30), HP Mini 5101, Windows 7.

    > Had better boot times on my TRS-80 4P :)

    Hmmm, nothing that old in reach... I have a DOS 6.22 box though, about 2
    seconds :)
    Nik Coughlin, Sep 22, 2009
  4. In message <>, whoisthis wrote:

    > Had better boot times on my TRS-80 4P :)

    How much better? Note from the boot chart that the Linux SSD system had a
    login prompt (getty) in 3 seconds.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 22, 2009