    PC. But. and correct me if I'm wrong, surely I enter my known secure network
    password at this point. Or do I just make something up???

    Any suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=, May 18, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=

    Malke Guest

    rmellison wrote:

    > I have installed a new copy of XP and am trying to access an existing
    > wireless network. If I view available networks, I can see the one I
    > want to connect to. It is a secure network, so it requires a network
    > key, which I know. However when I type it in I get the following
    > error:
    >
    > "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on
    > your
    > network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii
    > characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters"
    >
    > I have found a similar thread with an answer, which suggests I enter
    > any 10 characters as a network key. I haven't tried this yet, because
    > I'm not at my PC. But. and correct me if I'm wrong, surely I enter my
    > known secure network password at this point. Or do I just make
    > something up???
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    You must enter the correct key to connect. The error message indicates
    that you are not entering the correct key. If this is your own wireless
    network, check the key by looking at it in the wireless router's
    configuration.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, May 18, 2006

  3. Try:

    Do not use the password - use only the hex number generated for key #1 on
    the router. If the key #1 number displayed on the router has dashes, leave
    them out when you enter the number in key #1on the client.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], May 18, 2006
  4. Re: '5 or 11 Ascii characters..' error when trying to connect to n

    Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?

    =?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=, May 19, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=

    Malke Guest

    rmellison wrote:

    > Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?
    >
    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Try:
    >>
    >> Do not use the password - use only the hex number generated for key
    >> #1 on
    >> the router. If the key #1 number displayed on the router has dashes,
    >> leave them out when you enter the number in key #1on the client.

    We're assuming you're trying to connect to your own router. When you set
    up your wireless function on the router, you probably entered a
    passphrase which generated an encryption key. Some routers generate
    more than one key - Key #1, Key #2, etc. You only want Key #1 and you
    don't want to enter the passphrase - enter the actual numbers/letters
    of the encryption key.

    To see the router's configuration, the usual way is to enter the
    router's IP address in a browser's addressbar. For example, to enter a
    Linksys router's configuration utility you would type:
    http://192.168.1.1

    Refer to your router's manual for details.

    If you aren't trying to connect to your own router, you'll need to get
    the correct key from whoever the router belongs to.

    Malke

    Malke, May 19, 2006
  6. Re: '5 or 11 Ascii characters..' error when trying to connect to n

    Ok. Thanks both for your advice. I will try what you have suggested and see
    where that gets me. If it doesn't work, you may well hear from me again!

    =?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=, May 19, 2006
  7. Re: '5 or 11 Ascii characters..' error when trying to connect to n

    Got conencted, thanks to both of you for your advice.
    However I'm having a problem now with my connection dropping out fairly
    regularly. The signal is full strength when it is connected, I just get an
    info balloon on my taskbar saying that 'One or more wireless networks is
    available' and I have to reconnect. Any suggestions on how I prevent it
    dropping out?

    =?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=, May 22, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=

    Lem Guest

    rmellison wrote:
    > Got conencted, thanks to both of you for your advice.
    > However I'm having a problem now with my connection dropping out fairly
    > regularly. The signal is full strength when it is connected, I just get an
    > info balloon on my taskbar saying that 'One or more wireless networks is
    > available' and I have to reconnect. Any suggestions on how I prevent it
    > dropping out?
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> rmellison wrote:
    >>
    >>> Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?

    >> We're assuming you're trying to connect to your own router. When you set
    >> up your wireless function on the router, you probably entered a
    >> passphrase which generated an encryption key. Some routers generate
    >> more than one key - Key #1, Key #2, etc. You only want Key #1 and you
    >> don't want to enter the passphrase - enter the actual numbers/letters
    >> of the encryption key.
    >>
    >> To see the router's configuration, the usual way is to enter the
    >> router's IP address in a browser's addressbar. For example, to enter a
    >> Linksys router's configuration utility you would type:
    >> http://192.168.1.1
    >>
    >> Refer to your router's manual for details.
    >>
    >> If you aren't trying to connect to your own router, you'll need to get
    >> the correct key from whoever the router belongs to.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Any cordless phones, microwave ovens, or similar appliances nearby?
    Crowded neighborhood where there may be other wireless networks? The
    signal strength indicator provided by WinXP is not necessarily a good
    indication of the strength of the network that you want to connect to.
    Try going into your router's configuration and change to channel 11 (or 1).

    Lem, May 22, 2006
  9. Re: '5 or 11 Ascii characters..' error when trying to connect to n

    THANK-YOU. After many frustrating hours (including trying to contact the
    "nerd" who charged me a fortune to setup the network but couldn't tell me
    what the key was!!) I found you guys and Doug's absolutely CORRECT
    INFORMATION that allowed me to get to my router's website & get the "key".
    THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0YVJvY2tzMQ==?=, Aug 10, 2006
  10. Re: '5 or 11 Ascii characters..' error when trying to connect to n

    Go get 'em, Albert!

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 11, 2006