5 Megapixel VS. 4 Megapixel camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hello,

    I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.

    We both set our cameras to the highest resolution.

    When I take pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg file is
    approximate 2 meg, give or take 100K (on average).

    When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.

    Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
    megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
    5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.

    Thanks for your help.

    Regards,

    Mark

    Mark, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Mark

    imbsysop Guest

    On 8 Mar 2005 03:39:55 -0800, (Mark) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    >buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    >
    >We both set our cameras to the highest resolution.
    >
    >When I take pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg file is
    >approximate 2 meg, give or take 100K (on average).
    >
    >When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    >larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.
    >
    >Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
    >megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
    >5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.

    depends on the compression settings in the camera and/or the "default"
    compression values set/used by the manufacturer ..

    imbsysop, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Mark

    Roy Guest

    The answer is Compression.

    Roy G

    Roy, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Mark

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    > buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    >
    > We both set our cameras to the highest resolution.
    >
    > When I take pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg file is
    > approximate 2 meg, give or take 100K (on average).
    >
    > When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    > larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.
    >
    > Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
    > megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
    > 5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark

    Different file compression settings.
    Thats about it.

    Comparing one brand to another is tough.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 8, 2005
  5. >> I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    >> buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    >> larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.

    >Different file compression settings.
    >Thats about it.
    >
    >Comparing one brand to another is tough.

    But important. If the files are smaller, they contain less
    information. (I'm still looking for a camera that offers lossless
    TIFF compression.)

    -Joel

    Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 8, 2005
  6. In article <5xjXd.34$%>, says...
    > >> I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    > >> buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    > >> [...]
    > >>
    > >> When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    > >> larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.

    > >Different file compression settings.
    > >Thats about it.
    > >
    > >Comparing one brand to another is tough.

    > But important. If the files are smaller, they contain less
    > information. (I'm still looking for a camera that offers lossless
    > TIFF compression.)
    >
    > -Joel

    Try one of the Canons that offers RAW file format. This is lossless and
    even better than TIFF. Things like white balance, sharpening etc. are
    applied on the PC rather than in-camera, so you can adjust things if you
    got it wrong when taking the picture.

    Graeme Cogger, Mar 8, 2005
  7. Mark

    justareader Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:52:20 GMT, "Roy"
    <> wrote:

    >The answer is Compression.
    >
    >Roy G

    And possibly subject matter. If you take pictures with a lot of open
    sky and your buddy takes pictures of dense intertwining forest
    features the sky will be easier to compress out.

    justareader, Mar 8, 2005
  8. Mark

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    > buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    >
    > We both set our cameras to the highest resolution.
    >
    > When I take pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg file is
    > approximate 2 meg, give or take 100K (on average).
    >
    > When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    > larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.
    >
    > Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
    > megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
    > 5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark

    The difference is in the compression factor implemented by the
    particular camera firmware. There is a 'happy medium' between a larger
    file, and better quality. Some manufacturers go for the smaller files,
    and others for the lower compression ratio.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 8, 2005
  9. Mark

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    >>>I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    >>>buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    >>>[...]
    >>>
    >>>When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    >>>larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.

    >>Different file compression settings.
    >>Thats about it.
    >>
    >>Comparing one brand to another is tough.

    > But important. If the files are smaller, they contain less
    > information. (I'm still looking for a camera that offers lossless
    > TIFF compression.)
    >
    > -Joel

    > Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

    There are a number of such cameras, but they demand a premium price, and
    require several times more flash card space for each picture.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 8, 2005
  10. Mark

    Larry Guest

    In article <5xjXd.34$%>, says...
    > >> I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    > >> buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    > >> [...]
    > >>
    > >> When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    > >> larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.

    > >Different file compression settings.
    > >Thats about it.
    > >
    > >Comparing one brand to another is tough.

    > But important. If the files are smaller, they contain less
    > information. (I'm still looking for a camera that offers lossless
    > TIFF compression.)
    >
    > -Joel

    > Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

    Unless you are into VERY long waiting times you dont want what you think you
    want.

    Of the several cameras I have that save .tif files, the wat can be as long as
    a minute for a 5mp photo.

    Even the wait for a raw file is shorter.

    There MAY be some cameras around that save .tif as fast as lightning, but if
    there is, I have yet to see it.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 8, 2005
  11. Mark

    bob Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
    > megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
    > 5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.

    It sounds like your camera uses more compression. The compression throws
    away a lot of the image detail. Yours throws away more than his.

    If you both take similar photos of the same scene, and if you both make
    8x10 prints, does one camera produce better looking prints than the other?

    Bob

    bob, Mar 8, 2005
  12. Mark

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Larry wrote:
    > In article <5xjXd.34$%>, says...

    >>>Different file compression settings.
    >>>Thats about it.
    >>>
    >>>Comparing one brand to another is tough.

    >>But important. If the files are smaller, they contain less
    >>information. (I'm still looking for a camera that offers lossless
    >>TIFF compression.)
    >>
    >>-Joel

    >>Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography
    >>

    > Unless you are into VERY long waiting times you dont want what you think you
    > want.
    >
    > Of the several cameras I have that save .tif files, the wat can be as long as
    > a minute for a 5mp photo.
    >
    > Even the wait for a raw file is shorter.
    >
    > There MAY be some cameras around that save .tif as fast as lightning, but if
    > there is, I have yet to see it.

    Cameras on the D70 level and fast CF cards can save in a few seconds,
    but then you pay a premium price for both.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 8, 2005
  13. Mark

    Larry Guest

    In article <L5mXd.13122$>, says...
    > Larry wrote:
    > > In article <5xjXd.34$%>, says...

    > >>But important. If the files are smaller, they contain less
    > >>information. (I'm still looking for a camera that offers lossless
    > >>TIFF compression.)
    > >>
    > >>-Joel
    > >>
    > >>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >>Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography
    > >>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >>

    > > Unless you are into VERY long waiting times you dont want what you think you
    > > want.
    > >
    > > Of the several cameras I have that save .tif files, the wat can be as long as
    > > a minute for a 5mp photo.
    > >
    > > Even the wait for a raw file is shorter.
    > >
    > > There MAY be some cameras around that save .tif as fast as lightning, but if
    > > there is, I have yet to see it.
    > >

    > Cameras on the D70 level and fast CF cards can save in a few seconds,
    > but then you pay a premium price for both.

    I assumed he meant a P&S but I often assume incorrectly

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 8, 2005
  14. Mark

    Paul H. Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I own a Sony Cybershot 5.0 Megapixel camera (cybershot DSC-P10). My
    > buddy owns an Olympia 4.0 Megapixel camera.
    >
    > We both set our cameras to the highest resolution.
    >
    > When I take pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg file is
    > approximate 2 meg, give or take 100K (on average).
    >
    > When my buddy takes pictures, the size of the resulting jpeg files is
    > larger - closer to 2.5 Meg.
    >
    > Does anyone know why it is like this considering the different
    > megapixel specification for each camera? I would have thought that the
    > 5 meg camera would have larger jpegs.

    Different compression ratios is the biggest reason for the difference, but
    noise contributes to compression variability among cameras, too. The more
    contiguous pixel redundancy in a photo, the more it can be compressed;
    cameras producing noisier pictures have decreased pixel redundancy and hence
    compress to larger file sizes. To see this effect, use a noise-reduction
    program such as NeatImage and save the same picture several times using
    different noise redunction amounts; the more "noise" is reduced, the
    smaller the resulting jpeg.

    Paul H., Mar 9, 2005