    How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    i click on it etc.

    Help Wanted, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    news:-news.com...

    | NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
    | I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
    | How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    | normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    | i click on it etc.

    Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
    doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a message on
    your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something like
    "Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may have to
    look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything you
    don't understand.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Help Wanted

    Timberwolf Guest

    > NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
    > I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
    > How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    > normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    > i click on it etc.

    > <><><><><><><><>

    Reboot--if you have post displayed during boot(bunch of stuff on the screen
    that makes no sense to you) at the bottom of the screen it will tel you to
    hit F1 or Del or Esc to enter setup.
    Even on "covered" if you pardon the phrase start up you should see a
    similar instruction.
    look at devices and set your floppy to 3 1/2 save and reboot
    On second thoughts get someone to come and resolve it for you as you can do
    and probably will mess your system playing with the bios.

    Timberwolf, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Timberwolf" <> wrote in message

    | "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    | >
    | > NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
    | > I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
    | > How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    | > normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    | > i click on it etc.

    | > http://www.uncensored-news.com
    | > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source
    | > <><><><><><><><>
    | >

    | Reboot--if you have post displayed during boot(bunch of stuff on the
    screen
    | that makes no sense to you) at the bottom of the screen it will tel you to
    | hit F1 or Del or Esc to enter setup.
    | Even on "covered" if you pardon the phrase start up you should see a
    | similar instruction.
    | look at devices and set your floppy to 3 1/2 save and reboot
    | On second thoughts get someone to come and resolve it for you as you can
    do
    | and probably will mess your system playing with the bios.

    Lots of times if the computer has those d*** OEM startup screens covering
    the POST, the Esc or Tab keys will clear that so you can see what's going on
    behind it. Although yesterday I was working on a Sony Vaio that I couldn't
    seem to get behind that stupid screen.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >"Timberwolf" <> wrote in message
    >|
    >| "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    >| >
    >| > NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
    >| > I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
    >| > How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    >| > normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    >| > i click on it etc.

    >| > http://www.uncensored-news.com
    >| > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source
    >| > <><><><><><><><>
    >| >

    >| Reboot--if you have post displayed during boot(bunch of stuff on the
    >screen
    >| that makes no sense to you) at the bottom of the screen it will tel you

    >| hit F1 or Del or Esc to enter setup.
    >| Even on "covered" if you pardon the phrase start up you should see a
    >| similar instruction.
    >| look at devices and set your floppy to 3 1/2 save and reboot
    >| On second thoughts get someone to come and resolve it for you as you can

    >do
    >| and probably will mess your system playing with the bios.
    >|
    >Lots of times if the computer has those d*** OEM startup screens covering

    >the POST, the Esc or Tab keys will clear that so you can see what's going

    on
    >behind it. Although yesterday I was working on a Sony Vaio that I couldn't

    >seem to get behind that stupid screen.

    Thank you.
    More questions:
    How can something like this happen?
    Can the computer do something like this by itself:
    change the floppy from a 3 and 1/2 to a 5 and 1/4?
    A very important question to me: is there such a
    thing as a 5 and 1/4 floppy?

    Help Wanted, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Help Wanted

    Guest

    On 25 Nov 2004 16:20:21 GMT, "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:

    |> Can the computer do something like this by itself:
    |> change the floppy from a 3 and 1/2 to a 5 and 1/4?

    Yes if your bios resets or battery dies it's possible.

    |> A very important question to me: is there such a
    |> thing as a 5 and 1/4 floppy?

    :) Yep, used to store 320Kb enhanced would store more, and floppies look'd like
    this http://tinyurl.com/6nhrd notice the notch on the side? it's write
    protected.

    Your CD is exact ally the same size as the floppy drive as it sit's in it's old
    slot.

    , Nov 25, 2004
  7. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    | On 25 Nov 2004 16:20:21 GMT, "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:
    |
    ||> Can the computer do something like this by itself:
    ||> change the floppy from a 3 and 1/2 to a 5 and 1/4?
    |
    | Yes if your bios resets or battery dies it's possible.
    |
    ||> A very important question to me: is there such a
    ||> thing as a 5 and 1/4 floppy?
    |
    | :) Yep, used to store 320Kb enhanced would store more, and floppies look'd
    like
    | this http://tinyurl.com/6nhrd notice the notch on the side? it's write
    | protected.
    |
    | Your CD is exact ally the same size as the floppy drive as it sit's in
    it's old
    | slot.

    Heh heh....we *just* retired the 8" floppy drive unit on the AS/400 at the
    office...seems IBM's latest OS doesn't even know what a floppy disk is
    anymore.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Help Wanted

    Paminifarm Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    > |
    > | NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
    > | I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
    > | How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    > | normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    > | i click on it etc.
    > |

    > Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
    > doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a message on
    > your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something like
    > "Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may have to
    > look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything you
    > don't understand.

    I did it. This is what happened:
    There was something there with all the drives and their names
    (the floppy A and B were 2 or 3 lines down from the others,
    and i know nothing of a "B" floppy drive. Since it is
    saying "B", does this mean there is another floppy
    drive there somewhere in the computer?); the floppy
    had a "none" so i changed it to 3 1/2 and saved;
    computer didnot like that, wouldnot let out, so
    i went back and changed it back to "none" and
    saved; Computer liked that and let me out.
    While i was in there i saw other settings
    for floppy, one of which said something
    about "swap" drives. Since there is
    more than one setting for the A
    drive, should i have "fixed"
    all settings that i saw
    there, such as the
    "swap" drives?

    I feel floppy is a mini miracle and leaving it off
    new computers is strange. A floppy you can pop into
    your pocket and easily walk out with it, not so with
    the big CD's - i wonder if leaving floppy off has
    something to do with Homeland Security :)
    I personally would be lost without the
    floppy, because i flop back and forth
    from my Internet computer to my other
    computers that arenot hooked up to
    the Internet. I hook up only one
    computer to the Internet because
    of security; get what i need off
    the Internet; put it on a floppy
    and flop to the secure computers
    to work with it . . . "Floppy"
    has a whole different meaning
    for me: it is quick, easy,
    and the ultimate security-
    i mean if youare ©really©
    serious about security.

    Paminifarm, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Paminifarm" <> wrote in message
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    message
    | > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > | NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
    | > | I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
    | > | How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    | > | normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    | > | i click on it etc.
    | > |

    | > Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
    | > doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a
    message on
    | > your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something
    like
    | > "Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may
    have to
    | > look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything you
    | > don't understand.
    | >

    | I did it. This is what happened:
    | There was something there with all the drives and their names
    | (the floppy A and B were 2 or 3 lines down from the others,
    | and i know nothing of a "B" floppy drive. Since it is
    | saying "B", does this mean there is another floppy
    | drive there somewhere in the computer?); the floppy
    | had a "none" so i changed it to 3 1/2 and saved;
    | computer didnot like that, wouldnot let out, so
    | i went back and changed it back to "none" and
    | saved; Computer liked that and let me out.
    | While i was in there i saw other settings
    | for floppy, one of which said something
    | about "swap" drives. Since there is
    | more than one setting for the A
    | drive, should i have "fixed"
    | all settings that i saw
    | there, such as the
    | "swap" drives?

    <rant snipped>

    The original IBM PCs came with 5-1/4" floppy drives only (actually, earliest
    were cassette tape <g>). So most BIOS manufacturers still include the 5-1/2"
    option. The hardware supported two drives - A: and B: - and when hard drives
    (A whopping 5 or 10 megabytes!) came out they were added as C: drives. So
    your BIOS (and Windows) still leaves B: as an option for the second floppy
    drive. If you don't have one, leave it set as "none".

    For people who have TWO floppy drives installed, A: and B:, the SWAP
    function allows the user to rename which drive is which without swapping the
    cables inside. That's normally an issue only if you have to boot from the
    other drive. If you have only ONE drive, the swap must be off. Your A: drive
    must be set to 3-1/2" since that's the size drive you have.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2004
  10. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >"Paminifarm" <> wrote in message
    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >message
    >| > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    >| > |
    >| > |

    >| > Start by checking your BIOS settings. When the computer is first booting
    >| > doing the POST (memory test, drive check, etc.) there should be a
    >message on
    >| > your display telling you how to enter setup. Usually it says something

    >like
    >| > "Press DEL to enter setup" or "Press F2 to enter setup" etc. You may

    >have to
    >| > look around to find the floppy drive type, but don't change anything

    you
    >| > don't understand.
    >| >

    >| I did it. This is what happened:
    >| There was something there with all the drives and their names
    >| (the floppy A and B were 2 or 3 lines down from the others,
    >| and i know nothing of a "B" floppy drive. Since it is
    >| saying "B", does this mean there is another floppy
    >| drive there somewhere in the computer?); the floppy
    >| had a "none" so i changed it to 3 1/2 and saved;
    >| computer didnot like that, wouldnot let out, so
    >| i went back and changed it back to "none" and
    >| saved; Computer liked that and let me out.
    >| While i was in there i saw other settings
    >| for floppy, one of which said something
    >| about "swap" drives. Since there is
    >| more than one setting for the A
    >| drive, should i have "fixed"
    >| all settings that i saw
    >| there, such as the
    >| "swap" drives?
    >
    ><rant snipped>
    >
    >The original IBM PCs came with 5-1/4" floppy drives only (actually, earliest

    >were cassette tape <g>). So most BIOS manufacturers still include the 5-1/2"

    >option. The hardware supported two drives - A: and B: - and when hard drives

    >(A whopping 5 or 10 megabytes!) came out they were added as C: drives. So

    >your BIOS (and Windows) still leaves B: as an option for the second floppy

    >drive. If you don't have one, leave it set as "none".
    >
    >For people who have TWO floppy drives installed, A: and B:, the SWAP
    >function allows the user to rename which drive is which without swapping

    the
    >cables inside. That's normally an issue only if you have to boot from the

    >other drive. If you have only ONE drive, the swap must be off. Your A: drive

    >must be set to 3-1/2" since that's the size drive you have.

    I did set the A: drive to 3-1/2, however it went to
    saying: "Floppy disk(s)fail (40)", and that is where
    it is sitting right now. The DEL is showing, so i may
    beable to go right into "Set Up" now if i wanted.
    Should i? If so, what should i do after i get there?

    Help Wanted, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    Help Wanted, Nov 25, 2004
  12. Help Wanted

    | "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:
    | >
    | >"Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    | >>
    | >>"Paminifarm" <> wrote in message
    |
    | >>message
    | >>| > |
> [...]
    | >>| > |

    | >>message on
    | >
    | >>like
    | >
    | >>have to
    | >you

    | >><rant snipped>
    | >>
    | >>The original IBM PCs came with 5-1/4" floppy drives only (actually,
    earliest

    | >>were cassette tape <g>). So most BIOS manufacturers still include the
    5-1/2"

    | >>option. The hardware supported two drives - A: and B: - and when hard
    drives

    | >>(A whopping 5 or 10 megabytes!) came out they were added as C: drives.
    | So
    | >
    | >>your BIOS (and Windows) still leaves B: as an option for the second
    floppy

    | >>drive. If you don't have one, leave it set as "none".
    | >>
    | >>For people who have TWO floppy drives installed, A: and B:, the SWAP
    | >>function allows the user to rename which drive is which without swapping
    | >the
    | >>cables inside. That's normally an issue only if you have to boot from
    the

    | >>other drive. If you have only ONE drive, the swap must be off. Your A:
    | drive
    | >
    | >>must be set to 3-1/2" since that's the size drive you have.
    | >>

    | >I did set the A: drive to 3-1/2, however it went to
    | >saying: "Floppy disk(s)fail (40)", and that is where
    | >it is sitting right now. The DEL is showing, so i may
    | >beable to go right into "Set Up" now if i wanted.
    | >Should i? If so, what should i do after i get there?
    | >
    | PS: i forgot to say it is on the boot floppy right now.
    | Strange it is working????

    That message usually means one of three things: the power cable to the back
    of the drive is loose, the data cable to the drive is loose (at the drive or
    the motherboard), or the drive itself is dead (happens!) It's not something
    that can be changed in the BIOS. That being said, if no one has been inside
    the case, you may have hardware problems.

    However, if someone *has* been inside the case, check the cables. And if the
    cable has three connectors (one on the motherboard, one for the A: drive,
    one for a B: drive) you want to be sure that the connector on the END of the
    cable is used at the drive, not the connector in the center of the cable.
    Also, check the orientation of the cable - the drive and the motherboard
    have pin 1 marked, and the cable has wire one marked - often a red line on
    one edge of the ribbon cable.

    (side note: If the drive is connected to the center connection, that might
    explain why the BIOS had B: turned on and the floppy drives swapped.)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004
  13. Help Wanted

    Paminifarm Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message news:<4Yupd.11388$>...
    > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message

    > message
    > | >>| > |
    > | >>| > |

    > booting
    > message on
    > something
    >
    > like
    >
    > have to
    > you

    > earliest

    > 5-1/2"

    > drives

    > So

    > floppy

    > the
    > the

    > drive

    > | >I did set the A: drive to 3-1/2, however it went to
    > | >saying: "Floppy disk(s)fail (40)", and that is where
    > | >it is sitting right now. The DEL is showing, so i may
    > | >beable to go right into "Set Up" now if i wanted.
    > | >Should i? If so, what should i do after i get there?
    > | >
    > | PS: i forgot to say it is on the boot floppy right now.
    > | Strange it is working????
    > |
    > That message usually means one of three things: the power cable to the back
    > of the drive is loose, the data cable to the drive is loose (at the drive or
    > the motherboard), or the drive itself is dead (happens!) It's not something
    > that can be changed in the BIOS. That being said, if no one has been inside
    > the case, you may have hardware problems.
    >
    > However, if someone *has* been inside the case, check the cables. And if the
    > cable has three connectors (one on the motherboard, one for the A: drive,
    > one for a B: drive) you want to be sure that the connector on the END of the
    > cable is used at the drive, not the connector in the center of the cable.
    > Also, check the orientation of the cable - the drive and the motherboard
    > have pin 1 marked, and the cable has wire one marked - often a red line on
    > one edge of the ribbon cable.
    >
    > (side note: If the drive is connected to the center connection, that might
    > explain why the BIOS had B: turned on and the floppy drives swapped.)

    Hello,
    Couple more questions before i open computer:
    If you recall i explained in detail what i do
    with my floppies, so willnot bore you with
    that "diatribe" a second time: this flopping
    back and forth is what i was doing with a
    floppy when i found the floppy drive wasnot
    working. The floppy disk i was using was
    fine (flopped back and forth with another
    (working) computer) and tested out, however
    when i returned it from the "broken" floppy
    drive, to the Internet computer, the Internet
    computer flagged the floppy saying that it
    wasnot formatted; i formatted it and now the
    floppy (tested etc.) is fine. In other words
    the "broken" floppy drive screwed up the floppy
    disk.
    So the question is (plus does this change your
    mind):
    howcome the boot disk is working fine in this
    "broken" floppy drive, and not being effected
    by the "broken" floppy drive as was the 1st
    floppy disk of which i just described? Yes,
    someone was inside computer to replace, for
    the second time in a row, power supply boxes.

    Paminifarm, Nov 26, 2004
  14. Help Wanted

    greyhawkmud Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message news:<Ahopd.9969$>...
    <snip-snip-snip>

    > Heh heh....we *just* retired the 8" floppy drive unit on the AS/400 at the
    > office...seems IBM's latest OS doesn't even know what a floppy disk is
    > anymore.

    Wow. A good ole 8 incher? I haven't seen them used since the early 1980s.
    Maybe IBM (Incredibly Bad Machines. lol j/k) figured they didn't need to
    support 8" floppies anymore? Maybe they assumed they went the way of paper
    tape and punch cards... :)

    (yes I know a few insane places still use punch cards, but I'd be shocked
    to hear someone still seriously uses paper tapes. lol.)

    greyhawkmud, Nov 26, 2004
  15. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | <snip-snip-snip>
    |
    | > Heh heh....we *just* retired the 8" floppy drive unit on the AS/400 at
    the
    | > office...seems IBM's latest OS doesn't even know what a floppy disk is
    | > anymore.
    |
    | Wow. A good ole 8 incher? I haven't seen them used since the early 1980s.
    | Maybe IBM (Incredibly Bad Machines. lol j/k) figured they didn't need to
    | support 8" floppies anymore? Maybe they assumed they went the way of paper
    | tape and punch cards... :)

    Well, what surprised me was the don't support *any* floppy discs anymore. We
    have to put a CD writer in the blasted thing now. And IBM wants *big* money
    for their parts/installation. I have to talk to the tech people and see if
    they're using standard IDE - and if they do, I'll put my own in, although
    I've never opened that unit...might be kinda fun <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004
  16. Help Wanted

    Guest

    On 26 Nov 2004 05:57:05 -0800, (Paminifarm) wrote:

    |> Hello,
    |> Couple more questions before i open computer:
    |> If you recall i explained in detail what i do
    |> with my floppies, so willnot bore you with
    |> that "diatribe" a second time: this flopping
    |> back and forth is what i was doing with a
    |> floppy when i found the floppy drive wasnot
    |> working. The floppy disk i was using was
    |> fine (flopped back and forth with another
    |> (working) computer) and tested out, however
    |> when i returned it from the "broken" floppy
    |> drive, to the Internet computer, the Internet
    |> computer flagged the floppy saying that it
    |> wasnot formatted; i formatted it and now the
    |> floppy (tested etc.) is fine. In other words
    |> the "broken" floppy drive screwed up the floppy
    |> disk.
    |> So the question is (plus does this change your
    |> mind):
    |> howcome the boot disk is working fine in this
    |> "broken" floppy drive, and not being effected
    |> by the "broken" floppy drive as was the 1st
    |> floppy disk of which i just described? Yes,
    |> someone was inside computer to replace, for
    |> the second time in a row, power supply boxes.

    The heads of one of the floppies can might be misaligned. If formatted on a
    drive with heads out of adjustment the disk would work only on that drive,
    another drive would claim the disk was unformatted.

    By the way the reason you have the option to swap A and B drives are
    another example of backward compatibility.

    Was a time when any program you bought were on floppies and expected to be
    run from A:\ drive. The 3.5 drive came out while most still had the 5.25
    drives (of course) and companies started coming out with 3.5 install disk.

    So you would have two floppy drives on your system one 3.5(A) and one
    5.25(B), if you had an 5.25 install disk (older program) you would go into
    bios and swap the floppy drives out so the disk would work (be A drive).

    As a side note, I don't think Windows likes floppies, especially XP. Any
    work I do on a floppy I do in a DOS window it formats faster and if there's
    going to be a disk error DOS will let you know right off, while windows
    usually gets caught in a cyclic error loop.

    , Nov 26, 2004
  17. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    wrote:
    >On 26 Nov 2004 05:57:05 -0800, (Paminifarm) wrote:
    >
    >|> Hello,
    >|> Couple more questions before i open computer:
    >|> If you recall i explained in detail what i do
    >|> with my floppies, so willnot bore you with
    >|> that "diatribe" a second time: this flopping
    >|> back and forth is what i was doing with a
    >|> floppy when i found the floppy drive wasnot
    >|> working. The floppy disk i was using was
    >|> fine (flopped back and forth with another
    >|> (working) computer) and tested out, however
    >|> when i returned it from the "broken" floppy
    >|> drive, to the Internet computer, the Internet
    >|> computer flagged the floppy saying that it
    >|> wasnot formatted; i formatted it and now the
    >|> floppy (tested etc.) is fine. In other words
    >|> the "broken" floppy drive screwed up the floppy
    >|> disk.
    >|> So the question is (plus does this change your
    >|> mind):
    >|> howcome the boot disk is working fine in this
    >|> "broken" floppy drive, and not being effected
    >|> by the "broken" floppy drive as was the 1st
    >|> floppy disk of which i just described? Yes,
    >|> someone was inside computer to replace, for
    >|> the second time in a row, power supply boxes.
    >
    >The heads of one of the floppies can might be misaligned. If formatted on

    >drive with heads out of adjustment the disk would work only on that drive,
    >another drive would claim the disk was unformatted.
    >
    >By the way the reason you have the option to swap A and B drives are
    >another example of backward compatibility.
    >
    >Was a time when any program you bought were on floppies and expected to

    be
    >run from A:\ drive. The 3.5 drive came out while most still had the 5.25
    >drives (of course) and companies started coming out with 3.5 install disk.
    >
    >So you would have two floppy drives on your system one 3.5(A) and one
    >5.25(B), if you had an 5.25 install disk (older program) you would go into
    >bios and swap the floppy drives out so the disk would work (be A drive).
    >
    >As a side note, I don't think Windows likes floppies, especially XP. Any
    >work I do on a floppy I do in a DOS window it formats faster and if there's
    >going to be a disk error DOS will let you know right off, while windows
    >usually gets caught in a cyclic error loop.

    Hello,
    We already know the computer is calling my 3.50 a
    5.25, and that happened after coming back from the
    repair shop, where i have fried 2 power supply boxes
    in a row, and have had replaced.
    The question is: since the floppy drive is freezing
    up all the time, and un-formatting them, why isnot it
    freezing up on the boot floppy. There is nothing wrong
    with the floppies, as i am testing them out on two other computers. There
    is nothing wrong with the drive since
    it was able to run the boot floppy. There is nothing
    wrong with the wiring, because it can run the boot
    floppy, so what is it . . . I have done the dos thingy,
    and that didnot work. It just said something like
    "floppy drive fail" and froze right there in dos,
    until i was able to get back in and put it back
    to "none" where i had changed it to 3.50.

    Help Wanted, Nov 26, 2004
  18. Help Wanted

    Guest

    On 26 Nov 2004 20:23:26 GMT, "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:

    |> it was able to run the boot floppy. There is nothing
    |> wrong with the wiring, because it can run the boot
    |> floppy, so what is it . . . I have done the dos thingy,
    |> and that didnot work. It just said something like
    |> "floppy drive fail" and froze right there in dos,
    |> until i was able to get back in and put it back
    |> to "none" where i had changed it to 3.50.

    Could be your I/O chip (FDC). Seeing as how a power supply was involved
    it's not to far out.

    , Nov 26, 2004
  19. Help Wanted

    Paminifarm Guest

    "Timberwolf" <> wrote in message news:<eL8pd.200$>...
    > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    > >
    > > NO WAY!!!! i donot have a 5 and 1/4 floppy (Drive A).
    > > I have a normal floppy; 3 and 1/2 (Drive A).
    > > How do i put my floppy back the way it was to the
    > > normal 3 and 1/2. It is crashing my computer if
    > > i click on it etc.

    > > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source
    > > <><><><><><><><>
    > >

    > Reboot--if you have post displayed during boot(bunch of stuff on the screen
    > that makes no sense to you) at the bottom of the screen it will tel you to
    > hit F1 or Del or Esc to enter setup.
    > Even on "covered" if you pardon the phrase start up you should see a
    > similar instruction.
    > look at devices and set your floppy to 3 1/2 save and reboot
    > On second thoughts get someone to come and resolve it for you as you can do
    > and probably will mess your system playing with the bios.

    Hello,
    I did that(twice), and as i was trying to get out of dos, it froze at
    saying something about "floppy fail", until i was able to get
    back to re-change it back to "none" from the 3-1/2 i had typed
    in and "saved".
    Are we really "playing" with bios? I am sure if we all put
    our heads together we can fix it, not break it, as the
    repair shop has already done that for us (twice).

    Paminifarm, Nov 27, 2004
  20. Re: 5 and 1/4 Floppy?????? (for Toolman Tim)

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Lots of times if the computer has those d*** OEM startup screens
    > covering the POST, the Esc or Tab keys will clear that so you can see
    > what's going on behind it. Although yesterday I was working on a Sony
    > Vaio that I couldn't seem to get behind that stupid screen.

    I have a friend in Sony Tech - I'll see if I can find that out for you.

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 27, 2004