5.8GHZ Two-Line Cordless Phone

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by graeme@invalid, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Harvey Gratt wrote:
    > I need a new cordless phone which will not interfere with my wireless
    > network. I currently can only find one company (Uniden) that offers a
    > 5.8 GHZ, 2-line (this is the stumbling block) cordless setup.
    >
    > Are there any others out there? If not, why so rare?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harvey

    Mine is a Uniden, not sure if it available where you are.

    Harvey Gratt, Sep 9, 2004

  3. graeme@invalid

    D.Currie Guest

    "Harvey Gratt" <> wrote in message
    >I need a new cordless phone which will not interfere with my wireless
    >network. I currently can only find one company (Uniden) that offers a 5.8
    >GHZ, 2-line (this is the stumbling block) cordless setup.
    >
    > Are there any others out there? If not, why so rare?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harvey

    I was looking for one recently, and that was the only one I found.

    D.Currie, Sep 10, 2004
  4. graeme@invalid

    Scrote Guest

    Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >> I need a new cordless phone which will not interfere with my wireless
    >> network. I currently can only find one company (Uniden) that offers a
    >> 5.8 GHZ, 2-line (this is the stumbling block) cordless setup.
    >>
    >> Are there any others out there? If not, why so rare?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Harvey

    Many cordless phones are multichannel, so, they will avoid "noisy
    channels". As your network is on one channel this should not be a
    problem to you.
    --
    Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
    I never had the courtesy to thank her.

    Scrote, Sep 10, 2004
  5. graeme@invalid

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:23:48 +0100, "Scrote" <> wrote:

    >Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >>> I need a new cordless phone which will not interfere with my wireless
    >>> network. I currently can only find one company (Uniden) that offers a
    >>> 5.8 GHZ, 2-line (this is the stumbling block) cordless setup.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any others out there? If not, why so rare?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Harvey

    >Many cordless phones are multichannel, so, they will avoid "noisy
    >channels". As your network is on one channel this should not be a
    >problem to you.

    But he wants a 2 line phone.

    >--

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Sep 10, 2004
  6. graeme@invalid

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    >>Many cordless phones are multichannel, so, they will avoid "noisy
    >>channels". As your network is on one channel this should not be a
    >>problem to you.

    > But he wants a 2 line phone.
    >

    >>--

    > -Barry
    > ========
    > Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    > Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

    Actually, I believe there are several choices of vendors for 2-line
    phones IF you go with 2.4GHZ. It's just that I've seen conflicting
    reports about potential interference and thought I could avoid the issue
    completely by going with the 5.8GHZ band. And that appears to be the
    problem - 2 line AND 5.8GHZ (only one vender).

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    > Actually, I believe there are several choices of vendors for 2-line
    > phones IF you go with 2.4GHZ. It's just that I've seen conflicting
    > reports about potential interference and thought I could avoid the issue
    > completely by going with the 5.8GHZ band. And that appears to be the
    > problem - 2 line AND 5.8GHZ (only one vender).

    The only KNOWN problem is Siemens and Siemens - that is, Siemens
    802.11 2.4GHz equipment won't work with a Siemens 2.4GHz cordless setup.

    Any others - you'd have to test. But the Panasonic 2.4Ghz at the
    shop causes no problems with the DLink 802.11g setup we have (not sure of
    the router model - DI-714 comes to mind, but ICBW.)

    There's also 900MHz units available - or used to be.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 11, 2004