5.25 floppy drive problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred Kasner, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    (really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.

    Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?
    TIA.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Fred Kasner

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:06:41 GMT, Fred Kasner <>
    wrote:

    >This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    >old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    >programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    >have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    >read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    >(really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    >cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    >since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    >closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    >whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    >controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    >these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    >only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    >don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    >I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    >all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    >working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    >problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    >for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    >solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    >floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?

    Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    Evan Platt, Mar 19, 2008

  3. Fred Kasner

    Guest

    Fred Kasner <> wrote:

    >This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    >old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    >programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    >have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    >read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    >(really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    >cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    >since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    >closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    >whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    >controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    >these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    >only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    >don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    >I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    >all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    >working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    >problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    >for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    >solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    >floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?

    Too much to answer.

    Basicly look for a solder on battery, you don't need the battery if
    you just keep the power on (sometimes)

    A:\ drive can be swapped with B:\ drive in the BIOS, also you select
    the drive size in the bios (5.25)

    --

    Remember that "lamp" optical illusion? It wasn't a lamp
    http://calloftheday.net/?p=201

    , Mar 19, 2008
  4. Fred Kasner

    philo Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:06:41 GMT, Fred Kasner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    > >old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    > >programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    > >have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    > >read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    > >(really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    > >cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    > >since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    > >closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    > >whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    > >controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    > >these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    > >only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    > >don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    > >I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    > >all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    > >working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    > >problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    > >for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    > >solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    > >
    > >Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    > >floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?

    > Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    That's a very good suggestion.

    I just wanted to add that even if the cmos battery is dead.
    If the bios settings are changed but the machine is not turned off...they
    should hold

    philo, Mar 20, 2008
  5. Fred Kasner

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:20:55 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    Never had any joy getting 5.25" 1.2 MB FDD (of which I have 2, well
    stored etc) to run in my more recent PCs, even under WIN95.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Mar 20, 2008
  6. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    wrote:
    > Fred Kasner <> wrote:
    >
    >> This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    >> old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    >> programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    >> have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    >> read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    >> (really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    >> cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    >> since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    >> closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    >> whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    >> controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    >> these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    >> only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    >> don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    >> I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    >> all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    >> working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    >> problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    >> for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    >> solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    >> floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?

    > Too much to answer.
    >
    > Basicly look for a solder on battery, you don't need the battery if
    > you just keep the power on (sometimes)
    >
    > A:\ drive can be swapped with B:\ drive in the BIOS, also you select
    > the drive size in the bios (5.25)

    It appears you missed what I wrote above. I tried setting up the 5.25
    drive for the A: in the BIOS. Doesn't work. Since there is no active
    CMOS (no battery for it) any changes to the BIOS fail and the default
    setup is installed not the changed BIOS you created.

    If I had been able to establish where the battery was I would have
    replaced the battery or soldered an external dry cell to the terminals.

    Since I can't get it boot up the way I want (with a recognized B: driver
    there is no solution to saying that you just keep the power on. It first
    has to boot the correct way once.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:06:41 GMT, Fred Kasner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    >> old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    >> programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    >> have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    >> read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    >> (really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    >> cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    >> since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    >> closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    >> whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    >> controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    >> these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    >> only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    >> don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    >> I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    >> all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    >> working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    >> problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    >> for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    >> solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    >> floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?

    > Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    Not even sure that a new computer (I have three that are running XP)
    would recognize a 5.25 drive. Worse yet none of them have space for a
    second floppy drive other than an A: that is 3.5 inch.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:06:41 GMT, Fred Kasner <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    >>> old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    >>> programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    >>> have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    >>> read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    >>> (really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    >>> cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    >>> since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    >>> closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    >>> whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    >>> controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    >>> these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    >>> only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    >>> don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    >>> I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    >>> all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    >>> working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    >>> problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    >>> for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    >>> solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    >>> floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?

    >> Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    > That's a very good suggestion.
    >
    > I just wanted to add that even if the cmos battery is dead.
    > If the bios settings are changed but the machine is not turned off...they
    > should hold

    Where would such a drive go? The cases have room for two DVD drives and
    a 3.5 floppy. No room for a 5.25 floppy.

    What the computer you will it to do will not do. I have tried changing
    the BIOS in two machines running Win 95 and you can put in the 5.25
    floppy and you can change the BIOS to make the B: drive specs be for a
    1.2 MB floppy or even a 360 KB floppy but when you close the BIOS edit
    and instruct the computer to complete the boot up they both detect the
    missing CMOS cell and set the BIOS to its default settings not the
    changed ones. no joy.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Mar 20, 2008
  9. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Gaius Baltar wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:20:55 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    > Never had any joy getting 5.25" 1.2 MB FDD (of which I have 2, well
    > stored etc) to run in my more recent PCs, even under WIN95.
    >
    > gb

    I'll try taking one of the DVD drives out of a 6 year old PC and try
    setting the BIOS to set the B: to a 1.2 MB FDD. That might work but if
    you can't get it to work I suspect I can't either. Another idea I just
    had: if the command to use the default BIOS settings isn't part of the
    MBR I may be able to start from the HD and set the BIOS and then finish
    up the boot with a DOS floppy in the A: drive and maybe it won't force
    the BIOS to go to the condition of ignoring the B: drive. It's worth a
    try. Last process is one that will work. But It requires going to a
    friend's house to use on of his old machines that can boot up to
    recognize both 3.5 and 5.25 floppies as he boots them from a Norton
    Utilities rescue disk even though the batteries died a long time ago. He
    runs old science programs on those machines that were written in BASIC
    and run under DOS. \
    fK

    Fred Kasner, Mar 20, 2008
  10. Fred Kasner

    Lookout Guest

    wrote:

    >This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    >old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    >programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    >have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    >read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    >(really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    >cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    >since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    >closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    >whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    >controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    >these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    >only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    >don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    >I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    >all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    >working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    >problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    >for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    >solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    >floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?
    >TIA.
    >FK

    You're local library?

    Lookout, Mar 20, 2008
  11. Fred Kasner

    Lookout Guest

    Just hang it..it will work.

    Lookout, Mar 20, 2008
  12. Fred Kasner

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:08:37 +1100, Gaius Baltar <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:20:55 -0700, Evan Platt
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    >Never had any joy getting 5.25" 1.2 MB FDD (of which I have 2, well
    >stored etc) to run in my more recent PCs, even under WIN95.
    >
    >gb

    Works fine on mine. We still load the original Wolfenstein from the 2
    disks.

    Lookout, Mar 20, 2008
  13. Fred Kasner

    Guest

    Lookout <> wrote:

    >>Never had any joy getting 5.25" 1.2 MB FDD (of which I have 2, well
    >>stored etc) to run in my more recent PCs, even under WIN95.

    >Works fine on mine. We still load the original Wolfenstein from the 2
    >disks.

    I still play that, well mostly Spear of destiny (SOD)
    This under XP using DosBox http://www.dosbox.com/

    --

    Remember that "lamp" optical illusion? It wasn't a lamp
    http://calloftheday.net/?p=201

    , Mar 20, 2008
  14. Fred Kasner

    elaich Guest

    Fred Kasner <> wrote in news:hviEj.20379$Ch6.8752
    @newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

    > If I had been able to establish where the battery was I would have
    > replaced the battery or soldered an external dry cell to the terminals.

    It's usually easy to recognize those by looking at the board. It will
    usually be near where the power supply cables plug in, and will have plus
    and minus signs next to it's leads. It will also probably look like a
    normal computer battery with leads soldered on.

    elaich, Mar 20, 2008
  15. Fred Kasner

    thanatoid Guest

    Fred Kasner <> wrote in

    1.
    Some older computers don't have button cell lithium batts, they
    have a little black/red rectangular thing which (AFAIK) provides
    the same voltage (marked in any case). I find it hard to believe
    you can't find the battery ANYWHERE. If it's there, it CAN be
    found.

    2.
    I have a low-profile 486/66 HP Vectra which only had room for
    one floppy (and the HD inside). A few minutes with a few tools
    and a CD drive is sitting on top of the case with the wires
    coming out through a small rectangular foamy rubber sleeve dust
    trap. No problem.

    Since you are just going to COPY a few things, who CARES /where/
    the drive is? Put a cardboard box or a few heavy books for
    support next to the open computer cases (some wires tend to be
    short), put the 5.25 drive on the support device, make sure it
    won't fall off, connect the floppy cables and go.

    3.
    If 1 or 2 doesn't work, take out the 5.25 drive and go find a 8+
    year old working computer with a 3.5 or CD-R drive (I will bet
    there are a several dozen in various places less a 10 minute
    drive from your house). Connect as described in 2 and make your
    copies.

    --
    Savagery of the relationships between people. Here, everyone is
    on the make, all of them doing their damndest to take someone

    J.M.G. LeCl├ęzio

    thanatoid, Mar 20, 2008
  16. Fred Kasner

    philo Guest

    "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    > > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:06:41 GMT, Fred Kasner <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    > >> old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    > >> programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    > >> have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    > >> read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    > >> (really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    > >> cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    > >> since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    > >> closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    > >> whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    > >> controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    > >> these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    > >> only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel

    boxes
    > >> don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any

    event.
    > >> I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    > >> all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    > >> working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve

    the
    > >> problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    > >> for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    > >> solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    > >> floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to

    work?

    > > Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    > Not even sure that a new computer (I have three that are running XP)
    > would recognize a 5.25 drive. Worse yet none of them have space for a
    > second floppy drive other than an A: that is 3.5 inch.
    > FK

    Most new machines still have a bios option for a 5.25 floppy

    Check that first...and if it does, you can just make a temporary hookup
    by removing your DVD drive and putting it there. Or as someone else
    suggested...just let it lie loose on your desk.

    Also note that the A: drive is always going to be the drive *after* the
    cable twist
    and B: drive will be the one closer to the motherboard

    philo, Mar 20, 2008
  17. Fred Kasner

    Lookout Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:37:26 -0700, wrote:

    > Lookout <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Never had any joy getting 5.25" 1.2 MB FDD (of which I have 2, well
    >>>stored etc) to run in my more recent PCs, even under WIN95.

    >>Works fine on mine. We still load the original Wolfenstein from the 2
    >>disks.

    >I still play that, well mostly Spear of destiny (SOD)
    >This under XP using DosBox http://www.dosbox.com/

    I'll look into that but Wolfie plays fine on XP. Not sure how my wife
    set it up but it works fine.

    Lookout, Mar 20, 2008
  18. Fred Kasner

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:17:49 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >boxes

    >event.

    >the

    >work?
    >> >
    >> > Take the drive out of the old computer. Put it in the new computer.

    >> Not even sure that a new computer (I have three that are running XP)
    >> would recognize a 5.25 drive. Worse yet none of them have space for a
    >> second floppy drive other than an A: that is 3.5 inch.
    >> FK

    >Most new machines still have a bios option for a 5.25 floppy
    >
    >Check that first...and if it does, you can just make a temporary hookup
    >by removing your DVD drive and putting it there. Or as someone else
    >suggested...just let it lie loose on your desk.
    >
    >Also note that the A: drive is always going to be the drive *after* the
    >cable twist
    >and B: drive will be the one closer to the motherboard

    Nice hint! That's something those of us who have played in boxes for
    years take for granted.

    Lookout, Mar 20, 2008
  19. Fred Kasner

    robroy Guest

    > Does anyone know of a solution?

    At the risk of stating the absolutely bleedin' obvious, you need to ask
    around your friends and acqaintances and find someone who's got an operating
    computer with both a 5.25 floppy drive and some other drive that's
    compatible with something you've got.

    The dusty old computer shop down at the bottom of the shopping mall car park
    run by the old Chinese guy has probably got one, and he doesn't charge much.

    robroy, Mar 20, 2008
  20. Fred Kasner

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message news:R7gEj.18975$...
    > This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
    > old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
    > programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
    > have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
    > read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
    > (really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In both
    > cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives. But
    > since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS is
    > closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
    > whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
    > controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
    > these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive for
    > only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These Intel boxes
    > don't have any clearly labeled locations for the batteries in any event.
    > I suspect the batteries are found in a clock chip but not labeled at
    > all. If I can get the computer to boot up just once with the B: drive
    > working I can create a Norton Utilities rescue disk that would solve the
    > problem in the future (it would allow a boot that enabled the B: drive
    > for future boots.) Hooking this thing via a network would be an awful
    > solution since Win 95 was not exactly network friendly at best.
    > Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external 5.25
    > floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive to work?

    Please repost with more information, including the procedure you are
    using to save the new BIOS setting and the exact error message you
    are getting afterwards.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Mar 20, 2008