    Only tape survives as a storage media that competes with cd-rs, dvds,
    and
    external hdd.
    Bolshoy Huy, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Bolshoy Huy

    Guest

    Actually optical disk are a much more stable medium than tape. In fact
    tape is easily corrupt. I say this as someone who has used all the
    mediums mentioned during the past 22 years in realworld work
    situations. Of all the ones you speak of optical disks will outlast any
    of them. Most that you mention(Zip, Jazz and LS-120) in reality are no
    more than upgraded floppy disks. In its time Syquest (44mb to 250mb)was
    a reasonable transfer disk though it had a high failure rate. But its
    hey day was was the early 90's to about 2000. After that CD-Rs became
    cheap enough to use for storage and back ups. The Zip was popular as a
    cheaper alternative to Syquest. May be the worst designed storage ever.
    Ah...the click of death! Jaz and LS-120 came and went quicker than a
    purse snatcher. The only real problem with opticals are the
    player/recorders. Some are made better than others. No doubt tape will
    continue to be popular, its cheap and easy to use. But tapes willl
    corrupt easily if not stored correctly. Heat, electrical fields and
    speaker magnets are the usual culprits. Plus tape has a shelf life of 8
    to 10 years. If cared for opticals will virtually last forever. I think
    flash drives are the storage medim of the future. They keep getting
    larger and cheaper and very stable. I just wanted to give a different
    perspective on your rant.

    Bolshoy Huy wrote:
    > why is this fraud being committed upon humanity?
    > why wont these sheisters learn that any 2.6gb media selling for $72
    > simply wont sell.
    > 5-1/4" Optical Disks are doomed to failure just as Zip, Jaz, Syquest
    > SparQ & Syjest,
    > Shark, Orb, LS-120, etc.
    >
    > Only tape survives as a storage media that competes with cd-rs, dvds,
    > and
    > external hdd.
    , Sep 18, 2006

  3. Bolshoy Huy

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Actually optical disk are a much more stable medium than tape. In fact
    > tape is easily corrupt. I say this as someone who has used all the
    > mediums mentioned during the past 22 years in realworld work
    > situations. Of all the ones you speak of optical disks will outlast any
    > of them. <snip>

    would you say that hard drives are more reliable than optical disks?

    what are more reliable than hdds or optical discs?

    i'm aware that hdd technology is changing, or at least becoming more
    reilable..
    I haven't heard that of optical discs
    , Sep 22, 2006